J.Backlund design announces new Korean made models!

Bruce Bennett

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bennett View Post
we are useing the same factory thats been making some of the top names that people have been playing for years.
I'm not allowed to give those names..
but believe me I wanted these guitars to be something I can be proud to be associated with. So we cut no corners here.

these guitars WILL retails for between 1000. & 1250.00 once in the stores. so the public will not see these prices ever again.
Would that be the Cort factory?

If so...no thanks....

Their treatment of their workers is very bad.

They do look great though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
It's Kickstarter.

If they don't reach their $75,000 funding mark (~150 guitars), they don't get any funding, and the import line never gets made.

So, if everyone waits...no one wins.
Thank you,.... brutal, but essentially very much correct.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by scolfax View Post
The first pic in this thread shows three single-coils, but the kickstarter page doesn't make it clear if these guitars will have singles, humbuckers, or both.
We were trying to keep options open enough to make everyone happy. but its too soon to know for sure..
Obviously the better we do the easier it will be to offer several option.

as of now.

Dual humbuckers with 5 way split coil switching is the way we are going. this will give you the best of both worlds.
Think, sorta like an Ibanez RG series..

IF we go beyond the 75K goal then we can start offering other pickup options . but that is going to depend greatly on how far past 75K we go.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation View Post
Would that be the Cort factory?

If so...no thanks....

Their treatment of their workers is very bad.
no, the factory we have chosen is called "Unsung" they made some of the very best guitars through-out the 80-90s
and we have a seasonsed pro in there getting the job done for us. I'm not really allowed to give names.
but this guy is from a company that EVERYONE in the states has heard about.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BG76 View Post
What exactly is the Spam policy on here?
Pretty much no drive-by advertising and no spamming. Spam=deceptive; people who are promoting a product subversively.

Drive-by advertising...someone whose only posts are those promoting their product of a device that locks a tremolo.

Spam...the owner of a banjo company who posts under a pseudonym about discovering a great six-string banjo that guitarists can play, then posts the website and a clip of an endorsing artist.

Bruce, Jim Soloway and others who actively participate in the forums have are typically allowed to discuss and promote their own companies and products, because they are amongst friends who have an honest interest in supporting them. Watching some forumites start and run (and often discontinue) their music-related business is of interest to many who consider trying to incorporate their hobbies into their careers. In the last 17 years, many business owners, industry professionals, and even some "named" pro players have come through for little more than talking gear and music with people of similar interests. What is the difference if Bruce posts his own news release versus anyone else posting a heads up about a new product they found?

Besides, sometimes we get great entertainment like Doug Roccaforte's famous melt-downs....classic!

• Members
Hey Bruce, What pickup configuration do these come with? Thanks!
Dual humbuckers with 5 way switching..

those that remember me around here, know that I know my guitar elecronics, and I've created a very nice, simple & versitile switching system for these.

you can listen to the You tube video link I posted at the top of this thread, to hear a sample of Mark Slaugther useing his new Retronix on the clean sound as well as distorted in a very professional enviroment..

• Members
no, the factory we have chosen is called "Unsung" they made some of the very best guitars through-out the 80-90s
and we have a seasonsed pro in there getting the job done for us. I'm not really allowed to give names.
but this guy is from a company that EVERYONE in the states has heard about.
I kinda wish it was Peerless, but Unsung can make some good stuff. If it's retail priced around a grand, could we expect it be as nice as, say, a Reverend or something along those lines?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BG76 View Post
I'm not singling you out, but honestly the rules are pretty clear (even if they are selectively enforced - but that's another thread) about companies spamming here. I suppose if guitar parts companies, pickup winders, etc... are allowed to peddle their crap here you should be too but it's a shame that the forum can't be kept ad free - maybe this kind of stuff should be in the for sale section or something. Not that it matters.
I suppose you can call this an "Ad" but I see this place as "Home"

This very Forum is "Mother" to this companies ideas.. this is not just an "AD" man, this is GUITAR HISTORY in the making,

John Backlund has done something few other guitar designers have done. he should be viewed in the same light as Leo Fender and others of his type.

He has drawn guitars that are very functional and yet still very cool and they are actually BETTER feeling/playing than the old Gibsons & Fender designs from 60-70 years ago.
and yet they retain the sounds quality and playability that is demanded by so many today.

I mean wait till you play a JBD-300. this guitar will spoil you for ALL Les Pauls forever.
would you rather NOT know about something like that?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Elias Graves View Post
I kinda wish it was Peerless, but Unsung can make some good stuff. If it's retail priced around a grand, could we expect it be as nice as, say, a Reverend or something along those lines?
It had better exceed a "Reverend" or I'll send them back. and thats a promise.

I really liked them.. but Peerless wasn't able to handle what we asked for.
Some of Johns designs are not so "production friendly" unless you have certain equipment.

• Members

good luck, you guys. this is watching a dream in the midst of becoming reality. thank you for including us here. what kind of hardware (pickups, pots, tuners, etc.) should buyers expect to get on these guitars? is it manufactured and assembled overseas, or shipped to the states for assembly here in the US?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
Dean has been using Unsung for their Korean models since 2006
"It had better exceed a "Reverend" or I'll send them back. and thats a promise."

You got me seriously thinking about selling my faded SG. Honestly, I play my Korean Dean Soltero a heck of a lot more.

I want the single coils though!!!!!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bennett

View Post

....he should be viewed in the same light as Leo Fender and others of his type.

I'm a little embarrassed by the Leo comparison, Bruce.....maybe I'd be more properly paired up with Orville Redenbacker, or those Bartles & James guys...but I probably play a guitar a bit better than Leo did...though ironically....on my/his Telecaster.

• Members
It had better exceed a "Reverend" or I'll send them back. and thats a promise.

I really liked them.. but Peerless wasn't able to handle what we asked for.
Some of Johns designs are not so "production friendly" unless you have certain equipment.
Wow. These ought to be nice guitars, then.
I hope it's a big hit for you guys. A lot of us do kinda feel connected to these, having seen the badass drawings Back when.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by John Backlund View Post
I'm a little embarrassed by the Leo comparison, Bruce.....maybe I'd be more properly paired up with Orville Redenbacker, or those Bartles & James guys...but I probably play a guitar a bit better than Leo did...though ironically....on my/his Telecaster.

John,
In my opinion, your guitars are like pieces of art. They are completely beautiful in my eyes...
If they play only half as good as they look, I am totally in for one!

Gary

• Members
I'm this >
I'm waiting for the answer to this too! cop.gif Gotta have mah rosewood!

Also, would like a little more detail on the hardware if possible - especially the hardtail and tremolo bridges used, as well as the pickups.

I'll probably spring for one of these either way though. Pretty cool!

• Members

Seriously interested here, but put me in the camp of wanting a few more specs.
Even if they are best guesses I imagine you can give some idea what you have in mind to make these deliverable.

Hipshot Bridges?
Pickup Brand/Models?
Rosewood or Maple?
Neck Wood?
Body Wood?
Colors? Everything talks about 8 colors, but only 5 are shown. confused.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder

View Post

Colors? Everything talks about 8 colors, but only 5 are shown. confused.gif

right down the bottom it says ..... Current planned color options are - Black, White, Red, Sea Foam Green, Pink, Butter Yellow, Light Blue and Natural Satin.

Archived