J.Backlund design announces new Korean made models!

Bruce Bennett

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by _pete_

View Post

Otherwise known as GretschGuy.

He's an ass in most threads he posts in and I discount pretty much everything he says.

I would put him on ignore but I find his posts entertaining in an annoying sort of way.

That's the one. Gretsch Guy. icon_lol.gif

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD

View Post

Very sad to see another American manufacturer feel the need to go overseas to find cheap labor.

Hmm.

As a general blanket statement, this may bear some thinking about.

So I hire 2 American guitar builders to make a line of guitars.

Dur to their costs, I have to price the guitar at 2k to start.

At that price, I may sell 50 per year. That may require 1-2 people to ship and handle RMA tasks.

Admittedly these are very well built guitars.

Now,

I go to Korea, for the price of those 2 builders, I may be able to get 2000 guitars made per year.

I'm able to sell them at a cheaper rate. Due to the increased volume, I may have to hire 20 americans to handle the Setups, Shipping, Customer Service, RMA's etc.

End of the day, the use of Korean production could create a net add of american employees.

This isn't all black and white.

• Members

^^^

VP- that is what I was alluding to. Also consider the possibility that USA componentry will make its way into these instruments. How does a 10-fold increase in overseas production requiring 10-fold orders from American pickup or hardware manufacturers hurt the cause for American workers?

• Members

VP and Axegrinder have hit it square on the head. i couldn't have said it any better guys, thank you.

GreatDane and others

As for details and hardware specs.

Weekend after this (July 12-14th) is the Summer NAMM show in Nashville.

We will be there showing what we have, talking to dealers

AND talking to the Korean manufacturer and solidifing all these details

Bear in mind that while we have been talking with them for some time now.

Like the stock market, the prices of hardware, pickups and woods etc etc, go up and down during the year. so the price we were quoted during march, might be a bit more OR less.

but now that we are in a 60 day home stretch, we can get a solid number on paper and all the details we all want. its now all dependant on getting up the scratch.

I have no intentions of building anything crappy. and you can most probably look toward Dean and others in this 1K retail price range as examples of what we intend to use both hardware and pickup wise.

I even wanted to talk with GFS about his pickups while at NAMM, provided people think thats a good idea.

I have meetings scheduled with several brand name pickup and hardware manufacturers, so we won't leave any stones unturned. it will be a very busy weekend.

hopefully everyone can wait till July 16th for those finer details.

because what I tell you today may have to change and I would rather not do that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bennett

View Post

during my foray into Deletelng BG76 I noticed he started a thread about Elliot Easton from the Cars

It probably won't interest him to know, that I'm currently building Elliot Easton a Mosrite sounding J.Backlund JBD-800 in candy Tangerine

Not only did he start a thread, but he claimed to be him. And Neil Giraldo, back when he was known as Gretsch Guy. smile.gifsmile.gif

• Members

Based on what I've seen the GFS humbucker offerings consistently get mixed reviews here (vs. singles which are more favorably reviewed). I'm sure I am not alone in hoping you guys could score a nice deal on domestic stuff like Duncans or DiMarzio, Hipshot or Schaller...but maybe I am dreaming.

• Members

Dimarzio I'd find pleasing, but Duncans would probably come out immediately - never found one that sounded good in my hands, whether guitar or bass. I like GFS singles but the '59s I tried (2 sets, 1 covered, 1 not) were a little bland, though much nicer than the Duncans.

Any chance for info about the basses too?

• Members

Always have liked the designs of these JB guitars. Really like the blue colour posted in this thread too which would be my choice if that became available.

Interested in backing this on the $500 project, but unsure on how much the extra freight to Australia would work out to be on top of the $500.

Any info on that? How would they be shipped packaging wise etc etc?

/edit gone into backing this for the moment, if freight would be prohibitive , will reconsider

• Members

View Post

VP and Axegrinder have hit it square on the head. i couldn't have said it any better guys, thank you.

GreatDane and others

As for details and hardware specs.

Weekend after this (July 12-14th) is the Summer NAMM show in Nashville.

We will be there showing what we have, talking to dealers

AND talking to the Korean manufacturer and solidifing all these details

Bear in mind that while we have been talking with them for some time now.

Like the stock market, the prices of hardware, pickups and woods etc etc, go up and down during the year. so the price we were quoted during march, might be a bit more OR less.

but now that we are in a 60 day home stretch, we can get a solid number on paper and all the details we all want. its now all dependant on getting up the scratch.

I have no intentions of building anything crappy. and you can most probably look toward Dean and others in this 1K retail price range as examples of what we intend to use both hardware and pickup wise.

I even wanted to talk with GFS about his pickups while at NAMM, provided people think thats a good idea.

I have meetings scheduled with several brand name pickup and hardware manufacturers, so we won't leave any stones unturned. it will be a very busy weekend.

hopefully everyone can wait till July 16th for those finer details.

because what I tell you today may have to change and I would rather not do that.

i'll wait patiently until you're back from NAMM to learn more about these guitars are going to be equipped with. i would love to see you using good quality hardware/electronics. if you are competing with brands like Reverend, then it feels like "table-stakes".

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

i'll wait patiently until you're back from NAMM to learn more about these guitars are going to be equipped with. i would love to see you using good quality hardware/electronics. if you are competing with brands like Reverend, then it feels like "table-stakes".

Please don't tell me that I gotta compete with Chinese mades from a Korean platform, if thats true then maybe I should just stop now.

biggrin.gif

and just out of curiosity... have I done something to make you think I would use anything on these guitars that was sub par?

we have the numbers, we have done the math, we have a plan.

now all I need is a little faith.

indulge me just a bit more and maybe I can make this a little clearer.

I said nearly 6 years ago that I would make John Backlunds name world famous.. and there were plenty of scoffers right here in this forum.

and yet now one of his designs graces the cover of the

13th edition of the Blue Book of Electric Guitars

and another one of his designs is inside the new Robert Shaw book "Electrified the Art of the contempoary electric guitar."

and yet another one has been used in ads for both the Montreal Guitar Show and the Newport Miami show.

and one was built JUST to show off next to matching colored Bugatti Veyron ! thats a 1.8 million dollar car ! and they asked for a BACKLUND to be built for that NOT a Fender or a Gibson.. I don't know how you feel about that but I'm thinking thats HUGE!

They have sat in a room next to Nik Huber and Juha Roukangous and Jens Ritter and Sheldon Dingwall and so many other world class luthiers that it blows my mind. and they held their own.

Believe me it was a hard road to travel to get to this point... I have NO intentions of doing anything to destroy that now.

• Members

View Post

Please don't tell me that I gotta compete with Chinese mades from a Korean platform, if thats true then I should just stop now.

haha~ i'm not telling you to do anything. what the heck do i know, anyway? i couldn't even confidently say i know which is better quality; korean or chinese. i have no real experience buying either. please update us with specs/materials/hardware when you get back. that should help with sales, i think.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner

View Post

Dimarzio I'd find pleasing, but Duncans would probably come out immediately - never found one that sounded good in my hands, whether guitar or bass. I like GFS singles but the '59s I tried (2 sets, 1 covered, 1 not) were a little bland, though much nicer than the Duncans.

Any chance for info about the basses too?

Ancient M I'll take all this under advisment and I'll pass it along to our marketing man Kevin so he can factor it into his figures.

on mondya July 16th the day after we get back from the SUMMER NAMM. I'll know all the details and I'll post them.

• Members

I'd be more interested in specific specs as well. Saying to compare these to a Dean that retails for $1000 doesn't do much for me. A $1000 (retail) Dean is a $650 guitar (MAP) and doesn't really have anything above and beyond any other Asian import in that price range. Or am I missing something?

• Members
It was all started by John (he was called BigFun then) with some of his pencil renderings.

Jeez! That was back when I was still using my old Hayabusa's vanity plate as my screen name, which I used on HC starting in 2003 when I originally joined the forum, though I didn't start actually sketching guitars until late 2004 or early 2005.

Johnsphotosmotorcyclesscootersvintageetc

• Members

I'd be more interested in specific specs as well. Saying to compare these to a Dean that retails for $1000 doesn't do much for me. A $1000 (retail) Dean is a $650 guitar (MAP) and doesn't really have anything above and beyond any other Asian import in that price range. Or am I missing something?

I guess that depends greatly on your definition of what constitutes "above and beyond" I think many of the new Dean guitars or the new ESP guitars a re very nice quality in the 1K range with some darn nice hardware and electronics.

the 650 MAP really means nothing, a 1K retail has a 500 dollar wholesale and the store makes 150 profit selling it at MAP instead of 500.

breaking it down to only the numbers won't tell you anything about the guitars quality. it just tells you how much it cost to build and how much profit the store makes on it.

the point i was making was that the hardware quality on ANY korean made guitar that retails for around 1K will be similar to what we will need to use on our guitars.

but, you can bet that anywhere i can, I will opt for the best possible specs.

but I Do have to stay inside of a budget.

so if everyone is asking me If these guitars will have real German made floyd Roses and Seymour Duncan Silverwires.. then sadly no, thats simply not reasonable.

wait until July 16th for all the right answers.

• Members
I am pretty sure mine is MIK. It was also hand signed by Joe Naylor, but I don't know if that was normal practice. And perhaps they have switched to China since then.
:idk:

yes, they started out in Korea. but have switch since then. there is a thread about it over at TGP.

lots of rants in it.

EDIT: I SERIOUSLY REGRET HAVING STATED THE ABOVE FALSE INFORMATION. FOR THE RECORD, I WAS INCORRECT.

• Members

... so if everyone is asking me If these guitars will have real German made floyd Roses and Seymour Duncan Silverwires.. then sadly no, thats simply not reasonable.

wait until July 16th for all the right answers.

you mean you're not going give us top-shelf liquor for bargain bin prices? WTF? ;)

seriously- ok, i'll wait to get the details after the 16th.

• Members

yes, they started out in Korea. but have switch since then. there is a thread about it over at TGP.

lots of rants in it.

Rants at TGP? I can only imagine. :lol:

If you guys are listening to the input, I am more interested in quality hardware than the pickups. I trust you'll choose wisely on the pickups. I imagine those who pledged for the hard-tail version of the guitar are expecting the baby grand bridge. If you guys committed to Hipshot trems (particularly the Contour model like the metallic blue sample shown on the Kickstart page), I am in like Flynn! :thu:

• Members

Rants at TGP? I can only imagine.
:lol:

If you guys are listening to the input, I am more interested in quality hardware than the pickups. I trust you'll choose wisely on the pickups. I imagine those who pledged for the hard-tail version of the guitar are expecting the baby grand bridge.
If you guys committed to Hipshot trems (particularly the Contour model like the metallic blue sample shown on the Kickstart page)
, I am in like Flynn!
:thu:

agree. that's what caught my eye as well.

Archived