Guitar Wankery and The Blues...

New Trail

• Members

Conversely, if one takes the time to think MUSICALITY first and then worry about technique, there will be instances where a sweep picking arp is tastefully utilized and enhances to solo as a whole. Unfortunately, too many people are happy just going as fast as possible.

I think this is why I don't like a lot of the stuff I was crazy about as a kid. There was a time when the Steve Vais and Wingwang Malmsteens were my heroes. Now I hear it, yawn and try to find something entertaining. All the technique in the world doesn't mean anything if it doesn't sound pleasing to the ears. I guess to some that *is* what is pleasing, but I would bet that's the minority.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Blues, since the mid-90s, has become a place for people with massive collections of vintage guitars and boutique amps to blow smoke. It has become, in a sense, a rich man's hobby..

I loved your quote so much, I embellished it a bit, and made it my FB status for today.

• Members
, when, at the same time, The Fabulous Thunderbirds came out and played more SONGS where soloing was integral to the song. Thoughts?!?

Aren't you missing a few people between the 3 Kings and SRV? Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, Mike Bloomfield, Cream, Paul Butterfield, etc, etc.

• Members
.....rich or not, so many of these guys think that the entire blues universe orbits the guitar.....Im pretty sure when Koko Taylor was learning to sing, she wasnt thinking about what kind of vintage guitar and boutique amp would sound great in her songs...............

For me, its the vocals and/or the "spirit of the song" that move me first; the guitar is irrelevent

Give The Blues Back To the Poor People.............

Susie Tedeshi, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, Indigenous, Henry Garza/Los Lonely Boys?

• Members

Susie Tedeshi, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, Indigenous, Henry Garza/Los Lonely Boys?

A lot of their "player" fans? Yes. The only time I usually hear the names Susan Tedeshi, Derek Trucks, and Warren Haynes come up in a conversation is from the circle of PRS-toting Rolexes at blues jams.........

• Members
A lot of their "player" fans? Yes. The only time I usually hear the names Susan Tedeshi, Derek Trucks, and Warren Haynes come up in a conversation is from the circle of PRS-toting Rolexes at blues jams.........

Hmm, that seems odd. What kind of a crowd do you hang with? I know tons of huge blues fans who wouldn't know a PRS from a Dano.

• Members

If some of you don't like guitar solos...go listen to country, disco, big band, ..whatever...plenty of choices for you guys...don't let he door hit you on the way out..

But the rest of us happen to like what BB, Freddie, Albert, Eddie, Eric, Jimi, Angus do with thier guitars....

I am currently learning Eruption and I will be specifically think of you guys when I turn up the Marshall....

.l.

• Members

I get what NT is saying, though...somewhere along the line, blues has morphed from being an expression of the soul to being an easy, predictable platform for dazzling the audience with guitar licks. Most of us who play lead guitar are guilty of it at one point or another.

A few years ago I heard a band play "the Thrill Is Gone", and I alway respected that song because of the lyrics. The guitar player stepped forward and launched into this Yngwie Malmsteemn type solo and used the song to pull out every guitar trick he knew, even flipping the pick in the air with his guitar body, and spinning around to catch it. It was hysterically funny, unintentionally I'm sure. I doubt that the guy even knew the words to the song.

I once open for a great blues guy who asked me how many guys in my band knew all the lyrics to my songs. He then said that everything that happens in his songs happens to support the story of the song. That really changed my approach.

It's because of {censored} like this that I listen to John Lee Hooker and Robert Johnson more and more when I want to hear some blues.

• Members

If some of you don't like guitar solos...go listen to country, disco, big band, ..whatever...plenty of choices for you guys...don't let he door hit you on the way out..

But the rest of us happen to like what BB, Freddie, Albert, Eddie, Eric, Jimi, Angus do with thier guitars....

I am currently learning Eruption and I will be specifically think of you guys when I turn up the Marshall....

.l.

That will get you to where most of us were 25 years ago. :lol::wave:

• Members

It's because of {censored} like this that I listen to John Lee Hooker and Robert Johnson more and more when I want to hear some blues.

I love Hooker and Johnson, but there's some guys out there killing it with blues today. I could listen to this guy all day (I often do)

[YOUTUBE]Yfi9fKpm3yU[/YOUTUBE]

Archived