Guitar Wankery and The Blues...

New Trail

• Members

Here's the joke, I walk into a blues jam....me and guys do a 20 minute extended Freebird rendition with three guitars trading off solos...crowd is going crazy, the bartenders are laughing at the 'dads' up there pulling this off....

.....who really cares, over there, somewhere out there in music land, what the gigging bands are doing, or what they feel or think should be pulled off for a solo?

If anything when these cover band guys show up, because they don't have a gig, and they usually get up and play anyway...for free...they fall down...as they can play music they haven't rehearsed. If it's not on thier set list, they can't do it.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's the joke, I walk into a blues jam....me and guys do a 20 minute extended Freebird rendition with three guitars trading off solos...crowd is going crazy, the bartenders are laughing at the 'dads' up there pulling this off....

.....who really cares, over there, somewhere out there in music land, what the gigging bands are doing, or what they feel or think should be pulled off for a solo?

If anything when these cover band guys show up, because they don't have a gig, and they usually get up and play anyway...for free...they fall down...as they can play music they haven't rehearsed. If it's not on thier set list, they can't do it.

Yesterday you were talking about how you go into these jams rehearsed. Today you're a dude who can walk in and play songs you don't know cold while cover band guys can't because they haven't rehearsed them?

Which is it, Tim?

• Members

Some of the blues jams in the DC metro area are hosted by full time pros.

Every Thursday night I host a jam at the Sapphire in Laurel, Maryland at the corner of Contee Road and 197 with a couple other full timers. It is not a blues jam. We play whatever the folks that sign the list want to play. And that includes country, rock, pop, and jazz. We read charts when folks bring them. But when somebody who signs the list wants to play some blues we will oblige and do it well.

• Members

Every Thursday night I host a jam at the Sapphire in Laurel, Maryland at the corner of Contee Road and 197 with a couple other full timers. It is not a blues jam. We play whatever the folks that sign the list want to play. And that includes country, rock, pop, and jazz. We read charts when folks bring them. But when somebody who signs the list wants to play some blues we will oblige and do it well.

Saw your name on the DCBS listings. . . . . I'll have to come up and see what you all are up to. I've been going to the one in Bowie that Chip hosts.

• Members
Ummm . . . some of us old men get off on playing blues songs that stretch the standard I IV V a bit which require you to hear the changes rather than pick them off the studio recording or tabs. And some of the wankers at these sessions are the young guys that went way back . . . to Hendrix, SRV, etc. for their inspirtation, as Roy pointed out
:facepalm:

I don't think the length of the solo matters. IMO, what matters, is the soloist can keep the audience interested and or suprised and delighted by the next notes/rests that he/she plays. The audience will lose interest quickly if they've heard an all too similar version 1000 times before, including the first half of your 32 measures of the current wankfest. Very few can pull that off during a riveting solo of that length, IMO. Hendrix and SRV definitely could.

• Members
I don't think the length of the solo matters. IMO, what matters, is the soloist can keep the audience interested and or suprised and delighted by the next notes/rests that he/she plays. The audience will lose interest quickly if they've heard an all too similar version 1000 times before, including the first half of your 32 measures of the current wankfest. Very few can pull that off during a riveting solo of that length, IMO. Hendrix and SRV definitely could.

I used the word "stretch" to refer to additional passing chords and/or variations on I IV V. Yeah, I agree about long solos.

There's a famous story about Duke Ellington keeping one of his sax players going with a ridiculous number of solos. Don't remember the details except that no one lost interest.

edit: On ''Diminuendo &Crescendo In Blue'' Paul Gonsalves - 27 choruses :thu:

• Members

The problem I find with many (blues circle) guitarists is how many of them think the entire musical universe revolves around the guitar (and - of course - guitar amplifiers). A lot of these people will step all over anybody while playing, including the singer. Some of these people view vocals as a "necessary inconvenience".

I like vocals, I like hearing people sing - especially when they do it well enough to move me, and I put vocals as the number one priority. And I also like when the entire band is cooking and sends out a message. When these two things happen, then cut the guitarist loose occasionally. Thats fine...but that isnt at the top of the list.

Music is one of the oldest forms of communication......and what a lot of these faux blues wannabes communicate to me is, "Listen to me, listen to my guitar only, and screw everybody else on stage"

• Members

The problem I find with many (blues circle) guitarists is how many of them think the entire musical universe revolves around the guitar (and - of course - guitar amplifiers). A lot of these people will step all over anybody while playing, including the singer. Some of these people view vocals as a "necessary inconvenience".

I like vocals, I like hearing people sing - especially when they do it well enough to move me, and I put vocals as the number one priority. And I also like when the entire band is cooking and sends out a message. When these two things happen, then cut the guitarist loose occasionally. Thats fine...but that isnt at the top of the list.

Music is one of the oldest forms of communication......and what a lot of these faux blues wannabes communicate to me is, "Listen to me, listen to my guitar only, and screw everybody else on stage"

+1000 to every sentence of that.

• Members

With all due respect..{censored} the musicians that bash EVH, SRV, Hendrix, Clapton..and bring all the hate and angst to guitar players actually trying to pull off a decent solo......they can suck my balls.

Jeez, Tim, give it up. You've been banned 5 times now, and you STILL keep coming back? WTF?

• Members

Jeez, Tim, give it up. You've been banned 5 times now, and you STILL keep coming back? WTF?

Because -

1) I have a problem with anyone who misrepresents themselves as an expert in thier fields, then dispenses advice, the proceeds to slam others from some self proclaimed position of authority. So I like to expose posers...this is nothing, you should have seen me in aviation...I saved lives there...in here, maybe some kids won't get some bad advice and not get turned off to music by a bunch of burned out bar gigging cover whores. I like music, it's a great thing...people like yourself are {censored}ing it up for the rest of us...

2) The moderators in here, ban for arbitrary personal reasons, which is against the 'rules'...so they are playing by one set of rules, which we think they abide by, but actually just ban for contrary opposing opinions and such...so they as are full of {censored} as your little cadre of forum players as well..since they don't want to play fair, play by the rules, fine...then I will simply piss them off over and over...if they want a dialogue, to converse rationaly..fine, but they keep stopping that communication..

Now I could not care, just leave, never come back...and I do...but as I sit there, watch tv, done playing guitar...surf the net...some times I like to log back in and see if the kids are playing properly in the sandbox.....and they aren't..surprise suprise..

So I gotta check ya Pat....it's just what I do....I don't know Pat...maybe it's a Batman thing...fighting crime. Trust me, it's not a troll thing, I don't post up stupid threads, I just hate liars...so I call them on it....

In a perfect world, there would be forum of musicians that aren't full of crap...send me a link...really....

• Members
Maybe if you would start taking your meds you would quit coming back.
:wave:

This coming from the 'pro' sound guy that turns up the vocals to match the 3 Behringer stacks that are too loud...then posts up a thread of how the 'band is too loud'.

• Members
This coming from the 'pro' sound guy that turns up the vocals to match the 3 Behringer stacks that are too loud...then posts up a thread of how the 'band is too loud'.

well, your hands are kind of tied on that one. Vocals NEED to be on top of everything, regardless of where "everything" is, volume-wise.

• Members

Because -

1) I have a problem with anyone who misrepresents themselves as an expert in thier fields, then dispenses advice, the proceeds to slam others from some self proclaimed position of authority. So I like to expose posers...this is nothing, you should have seen me in aviation...I saved lives there...in here, maybe some kids won't get some bad advice and not get turned off to music by a bunch of burned out bar gigging cover whores. I like music, it's a great thing...people like yourself are {censored}ing it up for the rest of us...

2) The moderators in here, ban for arbitrary personal reasons, which is against the 'rules'...so they are playing by one set of rules, which we think they abide by, but actually just ban for contrary opposing opinions and such...so they as are full of {censored} as your little cadre of forum players as well..since they don't want to play fair, play by the rules, fine...then I will simply piss them off over and over...if they want a dialogue, to converse rationaly..fine, but they keep stopping that communication..

Now I could not care, just leave, never come back...and I do...but as I sit there, watch tv, done playing guitar...surf the net...some times I like to log back in and see if the kids are playing properly in the sandbox.....and they aren't..surprise suprise..

So I gotta check ya Pat....it's just what I do....I don't know Pat...maybe it's a Batman thing...fighting crime. Trust me, it's not a troll thing, I don't post up stupid threads, I just hate liars...so I call them on it....

In a perfect world, there would be forum of musicians that aren't full of crap...send me a link...really....

:confused:I confused:confused: I don't understand any of this...

• Members
1) I have a problem with anyone who misrepresents themselves as an expert in thier fields, then dispenses advice, the proceeds to slam others from some self proclaimed position of authority.

I don't know a single person here who has ever represented themselves as an expert here. See, Tim this is why people dislike you so- you set up straw man arguments, accuse other of wide generalities that exist only in your mind, and then act on them as if they're some kind of reality.

in here, maybe some kids won't get some bad advice and not get turned off to music by a bunch of burned out bar gigging cover whores.

The only one dispensing bad advice here is you, based entirely on lack of experience and ignorance of how the band business really works. You have had many opportunities to learn something here, but you have apparently declined it. It is ironic that you're worried about noobs getting bad advice, yet you, who have not a whit of pro experience, dispense it like hard candy at a parade.

You are a confused, pathetic man, Tim, and I mean it in all seriousness. You extol the virtues of playing SRV and Clapton and Hendrix covers, and rave about how much the crowd loves and worships you for it, then slam cover bands who actually get paid. You seem to have a hard time with reality. Let me help you out here. You know those guys who, while getting their car worked on at a shop, will approach a group of mechanics ands start talking shop with them, even though they themselves have never done more than an oil change? Well, you're the guy who tells the mechanics they're doing it all wrong.

So please, take your poor persecuted savior act somewhere else and kindly {censored} off, you talentless, egomaniacal, delusional troll. You have proven you don't belong with the grownups and will forever be seated at the kid's table.

But hey, at least this time you picked an appropriate screen name! :wave:

• Members

2) The moderators in here, ban for arbitrary personal reasons,

Well let's see---you got banned the first time for flaming threads and engaging in other forum violations and then have been banned nearly a dozen times SINCE then for coming back after you've already been banned.

What is arbitrary about any of that?

Archived