Guitar Wankery and The Blues...

New Trail

• Members

But who can figure kids these days? The teenage son of my bass player (at who's house we rehearse) has either hip/hop or new country blasting out of his bedroom.

This IMO is so commonplace that it is the rule rather than the exception. Most teeny-boppers to mid-20's kids that I know listen to both hip-hop AND new country. Some new country even now incorporates hip-hop/rap-("Let's Talk About Me", Toby Keith). It's no accident that Tim McGraw teamed up with Nelly for a hit song- because the country music industry recognizes this overlap.

I totally agree with Hard Truth that 30 years from now, the old guys in bowling shirts will be covering rap/hip-hop. The more successful party bands on this forum AFAIK already incorporate hip-hop into their show.

I am lucky to be in a good band that goes over well with crowds, that doesn't do hip-hop. When doing that stuff becomes necessary for a gig, I'm out of the band business- will put myself (the REST of the way) out to pasture playing cocktail piano. I do that kind of thing every Sunday already and the waitstaff is requesting a song by "Juvie G", whoever that it is. I suspect they are just f*cking with me.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gotta say, it's nice to see skinny jeans finally making a comeback. Not only did the baggy pants thing stay in fashion WAAAY too long (what...like 20 years we were looking at those things dragging on the ground)...but finally I can find a pair of jeans that fits me in a STORE rather than having to order from Italy or some such.

I think the big issue that guys "of a certain age" have with baggy pants is that, the older we get, the harder it is to even find pants that will be oversize on us!!!!!

:facepalm:

• Members

This IMO is so commonplace that it is the rule rather than the exception. Most teeny-boppers to mid-20's kids that I know listen to both hip-hop AND new country. Some new country even now incorporates hip-hop/rap-("Let's Talk About Me", Toby Keith). It's no accident that Tim McGraw teamed up with Nelly for a hit song- because the country music industry recognizes this overlap.

I totally agree with Hard Truth that 30 years from now, the old guys in bowling shirts will be covering rap/hip-hop. The more successful party bands on this forum AFAIK already incorporate hip-hop into their show.

I am lucky to be in a good band that goes over well with crowds, that doesn't do hip-hop. When doing that stuff becomes necessary for a gig, I'm out of the band business- will put myself (the REST of the way) out to pasture playing cocktail piano. I do that kind of thing every Sunday already and the waitstaff is requesting a song by "Juvie G", whoever that it is. I suspect they are just f*cking with me.

To a certain degree our audiences age with us. At some point most of us gear it down a bit to keep working, but rarely so far that we are out of our comfort zones. As long as you're able to get up on stage and play, they'll be an audience somewhere wanting to hear what you do. Which is why you're still 'lucky' enough to be doing what you want. And those bands that do hip/hop now? They do it because they like it for the most part. Which will be the main reason they will still do it decades from now. And they'll all feel "lucky" enough to still be able to do that then when younger bands will be playing something else.

• Members

I think the big issue that guys "of a certain age" have with baggy pants is that, the older we get, the harder it is to even
find
pants that will be oversize on us!!!!!

LOL---good point!

I've just always been a skinny guy who can rock the skinny jeans look pretty well. Just got hard to find them there for a decade or so. (I have no idea where guys like Lyle Lovett and Dwight Yoakam were still getting them from.)

Problem now is that, although I've worked pretty much that same look for 30 years, I now risk looking like I'm an old guy 'trying' to be younger and hipper than I really am!

• Members

Yeah, I've always worn the "old man" hats (as my godson calls them)

They became fashionable again, and all the hipsters started wearing them.

I get ribbed every now and then, but screw it, I like them, and that's all that matters to me.

Rock whatever look you like, and to hell what people think! :thu:

• Members

And those bands that do hip/hop now? They do it because they like it for the most part.

So you, Grant, Jason and others do hip-hop because you like it? Cool..not second-guessing you guys. Actually, I'm not hopelessly white-bread/anti-funky and I like some of the hip-hop and booty-music grooves and beats (sampled or no) and enjoy fairly recent soul-jazz and acid jazz that incorporates some of that sound.

Still, as you say, I'm not willing to get out of my comfort zone. I see some party bands that look ridiculous because of their age and appearance (white, grey-headed/bald grand-daddies), doing hip/hop and rap tunes -which would be hilarious if it was tongue firmly-in-cheek. But ridiculous, hilarious or whatever, I think it is going to be commonplace.

• Members

So you, Grant, Jason and others do hip-hop because you
it? Cool..not second-guessing you guys.

Can't speak for anyone else, but the little bit that we DO do, I like. (And I'm sure I do less than Grant and Jason and Jeff and some others here.) And we only do songs that feel 'right' for us. There are far more modern pop and hip/hop tunes that we would NEVER do than ones that we would. But if it feels good, do it, right?

• Members

Still, as you say, I'm not willing to get out of my comfort zone. I see some party bands that look ridiculous because of their age and appearance (white, grey-headed/bald grand-daddies), doing hip/hop and rap tunes -which would be hilarious if it was tongue firmly-in-cheek. But ridiculous, hilarious or whatever, I think it is going to be commonplace.

Yes. And my point was that, as time goes on, it's going to look less and less ridiculous. Let's face it--a lot of the early hop/hop stuff that is starting to become 'classic' now is more than 20 years old. 40 year old guys don't really look that silly playing "Funky Cold Medina" or "Good Vibrations" since Tone Loc and Marky Mark are now 40 years old. And so is a good part of the audience who remembers those songs. And 10 years from now, it won't look any siller for 50 year old guys to be doing hip/hop than 50 year old guys NOW look doing Rick Springfield or Duran Duran.

• Members

Reminds of a guitar player that told me of going to a Malmsteen show...big and fat, getting old, jumping around...the playing was great, but the antics didn't fit his look..

That said...if you want to be 50, trying to look like a 16 year old...ok....maybe that's the thing for some cover bands...I think I will play and act age appropriate...seems a little more 'real'.

Clapton seems a good 'mentor' in not acting like a clown on stage...he seems to have aged gracefully....and acting appropriately...but then again his stuff is what I play....not pop.

• Members

Guido the next time you do a Cyndi Lauper song...feel free to dress up like a chick and color your hair pink.....

I'll keep that in mind. Might be a good idea should I ever decide to sing a Cyndi Lauper song. The audience would probably totally dig it just for the fun of the look!

Of course, I'd never sing a Cyndi Lauper song because I'm smart enough to know my musical strengths and weaknesses and work within those boundaries instead of believing I'm something I'm not.

So what's your excuse for those lame videos in the bathrobe, anyway?

• Members

Your right...which if I get your drift....you can't really trust any musician's take on music...your probably right..

If 4 musicians in this town could agree on music...they might be doing something right now....

Good God, you're like a reverse Visa card: you're everywhere no one wants you to be.

• Members

So you, Grant, Jason and others do hip-hop because you
it? Cool..not second-guessing you guys. Actually, I'm not hopelessly white-bread/anti-funky and I like some of the hip-hop and booty-music grooves and beats (sampled or no) and enjoy fairly recent soul-jazz and acid jazz that incorporates some of that sound.

Yep. Actually do. Grew up with a hippy family that was really into Motown, that morphed into R&B, which became rap. Was a HUGE RUN DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, EPMD, fan as a kid, grew into Public Enemy, NWA gangsta stuff, LOVE Biggie Smalls and 2PAC along with a lot of Puff Daddy's stuff, Nelly, Kanye, etc etc... My hands down favorite song right now is "Like a G6" by Far East Movement... Sorry, I'm a 38 year old dude that never grew up. I still beat box quite a bit too - kind of a hobby of mine...

At the same time, I'm transcribing a Scott Henderson tune, so... I'm kinda all over the place. I guess I just love music.

Though all in all, I think hip hop has been the most innovative music of my generation. YMMV.

• Members

My mostly negative perception of rap and hip hip is colored by countless nights sitting around at roadhouse clubs on band breaks while DJ's played, at ear-splitting volume, execrable crap like Who's Gonna Ride That Donkey, Roof Is On Fire etc. while I wondered "why the Hell would anyone want to dance to that {censored}?"

But I kind of liked Bust a Move and Funky Cold Medina, OTOH. And some of the booty music, too.

Actually, what I dislike the most is the execrable, thug culture surrounding too much of rap. Making heros of someone that has been shot multiple times? Listening to someone brag about how someone dissed them, so they killed them and stole their kid?

I know not all hip-hop is like that- can actually be positive and soulful. And good or bad, rap does reflect the realities of life for both white and black kids in the inner city. The same as blues used to reflect the realities of life as a sharecropper in the Delta of MS. (to bring this back to the original discussion.)

Archived