It's settled: Do what you want. It's all good.

• Members

Music performance is not about any one thing. And making it about any one thing (like a music stand) just because you can see it is prejudicial, unfair and shallow.

Except, AGAIN...no one is doing that. Except for the "it's all about the music" guys, of course. THEY are the only ones making music performance only about one thing.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Then it's prejudicial. Your assuming what is 'obvious and visible' connotates laziness. Do you associate black skin with laziness? Just cuz you saw a lazy black person doesn't mean all black people are lazy. If you see a great band and they have a music stand on stage they are lazy? Same logic.

Dude, are you serious? Take a step back - you're like a pube away from going off the deep end.

• Members

Except, AGAIN...no one is doing that. Except for the "it's all about the music" guys, of course. THEY are the only ones making music performance only about one thing.

Show me where I said that it is only about one thing? Show me where I said "it's all about the music". Never said it, never implied it.

My whole point is that pointing to a music stand, making it representative of universal music business laziness, is all the damn adjectives I used earlier:

1) prejudicial

2) narrow minded

3) self serving

etc.

• Members

Dude, are you serious? Take a step back - you're like a pube away from going off the deep end.

Does the music stand+shorts=your lazy?

If you answer yes, then you are being prejudicial. You are making judgments on a whole experience, based on one visual detail. You are then assigning a carachter trait to those associated with that detail.

Pubes intact.:thu:

• Moderators

Show me where I said...

This is where it gets silly. Now you're both (not just 2 of you) talking about debating and not the subject. You both think you're talking about the subject, but you're so pulled into the debate... it really only about the debate.

Circling the drain.

• Members

Show me where I said that it is only about one thing? Show me where I said "it's all about the music". Never said it, never implied it.

I didn't say you did. Which is why I refered to "They" and "Guys". I wasn't including you.

But what you HAVE done is accuse those on the OTHER side of the debate of making it only about 'one thing'. Which is odd to me since it's not the anti-stand guys doing that.

My whole point is that pointing to a music stand, making it representative of universal music business laziness, is all the damn adjectives I used earlier:

1) prejudicial

2) narrow minded

3) self serving

etc.

Yes, I got your point. And I hope you got my clarification that it's just a shorthand. I THOUGHT most people on the forum got it since we not only talk about stands so much, but also do so with COUNTLESS references to all the exceptions when/where stands are acceptible. Can we not---8,000 music stand threads laters---refer to music stands looking bad and all understand that no one is referring to the obvious exceptions?

References to fashion items imply all sorts of shorthand and stereotypes. I would hope that if I referred to wearing a bandana as being 'redneck' that you'd understand that obviously not everyone who wears a bandana is or looks like a redneck.

C'mon.

• Members

Lee made a valid point IMO: with passing time, BSWTB's content seems to be more and more debating for the sake of debating (I'm sure some here will debate THAT). I myself am more of a fan of constructive discussions vs "this is the internet and I must WIN"- type endless debates. That's where Lee shines and why IMO he's the sh*t- I've learned alot from the reading his comments .

• Moderators

Lee made a valid point IMO: with passing time, BSWTB's content seems to be more and more debating for the
sake
of debating (I'm sure some here will debate THAT). I myself am more of a fan of constructive
discussions
vs "this is the internet and I must WIN"- type endless debates. That's where Lee shines and why IMO he's the sh*t- I've learned alot from the reading his comments .

Man hug. :)

• Members

Does the music stand+shorts=your lazy?

If you answer yes, then you are being prejudicial. You are making judgments on a whole experience, based on one visual detail. You are then assigning a carachter trait to those associated with that detail.

Pubes intact.
:thu:

So how many music stands do you own and use then?

• Members

IMHO, music stand = lazy and can mean lack of self confidence.

Why can't you learn words and chords? If it is a mental disability than who can argue? If it is simply using the stand as a crutch because you didn't work hard enough to learn what you are performing, that is simply being lazy. If you are getting older and are having memory problems, work harder. I'm 52 and a Taekwondo black belt. It is very difficult for me to do some of the things I was able to easily do 20 years ago. You know what that means? It means I have to work harder at that then I used to have to. It doesn't mean that I stop doing those moves because they are harder than they used to be. Same goes for music.

• Moderators

Apparently the prevailing attitude here is that anything anybody wants to do on stage is good and if that's the way they are doing it, then that's the way it should be done.

No need to offer suggestions for improvement or a counter-opinion. It's all good.

No need to discuss anything, really, because it's ALL good. Any Way You Want It, That's The Way You Need It. Use of tracks? How you dress? How you present yourself? What business model you use? What PA you use? It's all good. Anything goes. No right or wrong. Nothing to discuss.

The only important thing is that people have a great tone. Which, of course, can be discussed over at the guitar forum.

We can close down the forum now. It no longer serves a purpose.

I just re-read this and... as sarcastic as it was intended, there is some sense to it.

"...anything anybody wants to do on stage is good and if that's the way they are doing it, then that's the way it should be done."

That's what makes things interesting. Something that is lacking in most of what I see being offered by today's cover bands. Corporate event or corner bar, the lack of imagination is astounding. The lack of unique outlook is... boring. And cheesy.

So yes, DO WHAT YOU WANT. And hone the crap out of it.

Just because someone has a way that you can not offend the most people so you can play a wedding... is that what you want? Is there even enough money now-a-days to warrant giving a {censored} and steering what you do for a certain style of event?

Hone what you do. Not what standard operating procedure is. What possible motivation does any of you have to become a great bar or corporate event band anymore?

So you can feel like a faux rock star? It's not going to fool anyone.

So why not hone how you make music? Maybe be original? Maybe further the craft and art a little? Stop fretting the projector and backdrop to please the wedding planner. I mean... really.

Backing tracks or no. Shorts? Just what is rock? Acoustic or electric. Dance pop or classic rock. Music stand with subs and LEDS. Really.

How about you make some {censored}ing MUSIC!!!!

• Members

So how many music stands do you own and use then?

Good idea! IMO full music stand disclosure would be in the best interest of this forum. I'll go first: I have exactly ONE- a compact little folding stand in a convenient carrying case. It comes with an attached music stand logue per local regulations. Last entry dated May '09 when I had a week to prepare for learning a Vegas variety band's entire show. I filled out all the paperwork but the official music stand "pass" is still pending- I understand there is a backlog.

BTW does the music rack that comes with my digital piano qualify? Someone please clear that up. And also, a couple weeks ago I subbed in a band and snuck some glances at the guitar player's stand, right next to me (chord charts no lyrics). Confession is good for the soul.

• Members

Good idea! IMO full music stand disclosure would be in the best interest of this forum. I'll go first: I have exactly ONE- a compact little folding stand in a convenient carrying case. It comes with an attached music stand logue per local regulations. Last entry dated May '09 when I had a week to prepare for learning a Vegas variety band's entire show. I filled out all the paperwork but the official music stand "pass" is still pending- I understand there is a backlog.

BTW does the music rack that comes with my digital piano qualify? Someone please clear that up. And also, a couple weeks ago I subbed in a band and snuck some glances at the guitar player's stand, right next to me (chord charts no lyrics). Confession is good for the soul.

Say 17 Hail Mary's and wash your eyes with holy water...

• Moderators

You bAsTaRd!!! How dare you! You are officially banned from... uh... this... uh...

um.

• Members

IMHO, music stand = lazy and can mean lack of self confidence.

It can.

Or it can mean you decided that the amount of time invested in memorizing hundreds of songs isn't worth it just to please other self-important musicians who have arbitrary standards that don't apply to putting on a good show and pleasing audiences (which can be done with a music stand present, as many have done over and over again in live performance).

Why can't you learn words and chords? If it is a mental disability than who can argue? If it is simply using the stand as a crutch because you didn't work hard enough to learn what you are performing, that is simply being lazy.

Or you do this part-time, and you have made the conscious choice that your life outside of music is more important than spending the time learning the songs, and the added visual value of not having it present isn't worth the extra time away from the other aspects of your life you find equally important to playing cover songs for drunk people. You can call that laziness, but it's just a matter of priorities. Some (most?) of us don't do this full-time.

OR more likely (and in my case this was true, and still is) maybe you have trouble with recall sometimes when you're in the middle of trying to perform well while playing an instrument well and leading the band. You think all those original artists using teleprompters these days actually look at them all the time? I think for most it's more of a "prevent major brain farts" situation, and it's nice to have them present just in case (which is the main reason I used to use a stand).

If you are getting older and are having memory problems, work harder.

If you think that there's value in not having a stand present and don't have other things occupying your time, like family or work.

I'm 52 and a Taekwondo black belt. It is very difficult for me to do some of the things I was able to easily do 20 years ago. You know what that means? It means I have to work harder at that then I used to have to. It doesn't mean that I stop doing those moves because they are harder than they used to be.

I quote Christian Bale: Oh, GOOD for YOU! ;) (but seriously, good on you, man...)

Before you typecast me as someone trying to "justify" laziness, let me add that I'm not one of the "lazy". I no longer use a stand because I agree with the idea that using them is often a crutch and can be a hindrance to the live performance for some (though it NEVER was in my case). I like the freedom of being without one, which is why I also switched to a wireless headset microphone. But I understand why people use them, and I don't think it's wrong unless they're putting on a {censored}ty show otherwise by staring at the damn stand...

I guess I just think that whining about music stands as though they are "eternally verboten" is just self-important foolishness, and that if you'd walk out on a good band or not go see them again because they had stands on stage, you're just being a dick...

But that's just one man's opinion who's been on both sides of the fence. (Remember, I'm on the good side now...:thu:)

Brian

Archived