It's settled: Do what you want. It's all good.

• Members

well i see you in pretty much every thread on here too, and i don't particularly care for what you say, either. but i realize that this is an internet discussion forum, so i don't cry about it.

Regardless of whether you care for my posting style or not (likewise, by the way), the fact remains that "don't like it? don't click on it" isn't valid advice. Period.

And who is crying about it? Certainly not me. :)

people who basically tell other people to shut up are bullies, and i have NO respect for that. so either grow a pair, ignore guido, or go somewhere else. lame.

I think someone who pushes his opinion on someone in every single thread, then argues relentlessly with everyone when they disagree with that opinion is just as much of a bully, if not more so. Here is where we will agree to disagree.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well i see you in pretty much every thread on here too, and i don't particularly care for what you say, either. but i realize that this is an internet discussion forum, so i don't cry about it.

people who basically tell other people to shut up are bullies, and i have NO respect for that. so either grow a pair, ignore guido, or go somewhere else. lame.

While I strongly admire your logic and presentation...good luck with that kind of common sense here.

• Members

I am a dad of a young son, and recently my wife started commuting with me. That was my vocal practice time
:(

Unless the music is inappropriate for women and children, you could still practice your vocals. I love to sing to my wife in the car. My boys are not as big of fans, though. Critics at such young ages. :D

• Members

Hmmmmmmm - is the song over yet?

I don't know what to make of all this - we are all musicians and yet here we are...

I listened to David's band and it all sounded very competent and everybody is having fun to look at the vid but it seemed to me that the fun was mostly manufactured and even looked pretty phony as well.

Sadly if I was at that video wedding the music - for me - would be nothing more than wallpaper - I don't care for music with no heart no matter how well replicated but I know I am a minority in that regard and most punters attending such a thing wouldn't know Bach from a biscuit so it doesn't matter - nor does their opinion of anything musical count for anything..

So in that arena that is the corporate world where a slick show is all that really matters and ignorant punters - sorry - audience can tell themselves they're having a great time and all that and escape their mundane lives then bands like David's probably keep the punters on an even keel and lets them go to work Monday feeling alright without being challenged on a musical or philosophical level...

And the world needs such bands

We also need the other bands - the ones that play music and write songs because they want to make a difference - the ones that play every night as if their life depends on it - because it does.....

They aren't doing other things through the day - they don't have a fall-back position - they probably don't play weddings and so on and so forth but some of them will go on to write and play songs that make you weep or jump for joy or bang your fist in the air and maybe even change your life if not your politics....

The world needs them also....these days more than ever.....

I see two sides in this story - both are valid but neither intersects with the other because both are different entities with different goals - music itself is the common denominator seemingly almost by accident

I don't post here often - check my count - and I'm posting this now because as musicians we are all brothers and it saddens me to see brothers falling out...

You all be good now........

• Members

I don't know what to make of all this - we are all musicians and yet here we are...

I listened to David's band and it all sounded very competent and everybody is having fun to look at the vid but it seemed to me that the fun was mostly manufactured and even looked pretty phony as well.

Sadly if I was at that video wedding the music - for me - would be nothing more than wallpaper - I don't care for music with no heart no matter how well replicated but I know I am a minority in that regard and most punters attending such a thing wouldn't know Bach from a biscuit so it doesn't matter - nor does their opinion of anything musical count for anything..

So in that arena that is the corporate world where a slick show is all that really matters and ignorant punters - sorry - audience can tell themselves they're having a great time and all that and escape their mundane lives then bands like David's probably keep the punters on an even keel and lets them go to work Monday feeling alright without being challenged on a musical or philosophical level...

We also need the other bands - the ones that play music and write songs because they want to make a difference - the ones that play every night as if their life depends on it - because it does.....

They aren't doing other things through the day - they don't have a fall-back position - they probably don't play weddings and so on and so forth but some of them will go on to write and play songs that make you weep or jump for joy or bang your fist in the air and maybe even change your life if not your politics....

I see two sides in this story - both are valid but neither intersects with the other because both are different entities with different goals - music itself is the common denominator seemingly almost by accident

I don't post here often - check my count - and I'm posting this now because as musicians we are all brothers and it saddens me to see brothers falling out...

This is probably my favorite post in this thread.

• Members

Unless the music is inappropriate for women and children, you could still practice your vocals.

Not if you're expected to engage in conversation. Or at least listen while they talk. This *IS* his wife we're talking about (although I'm sure she is a very nice person). :D

• Moderators

I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm not proud of my outburst here, but sadly, I feel it was needed. My response did not come out of thin air, but from continued frustration toward the prevailing wedding band aesthetic this forum promotes. From the focus of a bar band movig up the ladder to reach corporate event band status. That's one path. One path. As mentioned many times, I love a great cover band. I've been in great cover bands. I know the mentality can blind you to real music. When the concept of "real music" starts seeming pretentious or overstated, you're starting to lose perspective. And I feel the tone of the forum at the time of my outburst had completely gone off the rails in the perspective department.

But I for one, am not part of any falling out. I understand why others may want to fall out from me... :) but I'm cool with everybody here. EVERYBODY. And now everybody knows how I feel. Sometimes you gotta be an asshole to be heard. Sometimes.

• Members

My response did not come out of thin air, but from continued frustration toward the prevailing wedding band aesthetic this forum promotes. From the focus of a bar band movig up the ladder to reach corporate event band status.
That's one path. One path.

As I've said myself repeatedly. For years now. So acting as if I've never understood that is wrong. But if the forum seems too heavily weighted towards one path, that's not MY fault. It's not my job, nor should it be, to explain to people other ways of doing things. I can only tell you what I know. Anything else would be bull{censored}. It would be the fault of those who don't speak up and present another path. Explain how it's done. Show us the results.

I've asked for that probably at least a dozen times now in this thread.

I'm still waiting.....

• Members

Unless the music is inappropriate for women and children, you could still practice your vocals. I love to sing to my wife in the car. My boys are not as big of fans, though. Critics at such young ages.
:D

LOL she would look at me like I am weird - she would rather "talk"

• Members

Ya, that nails it...

• Members

What WAS needed (and still IS) is being able to offer clear and concise instruction on how to travel one of these other paths, rather than simply offering glittering but meaningless generalities like one might hear at a political campaign rally.

But if the forum seems too heavily weighted towards one path, that's not MY fault. It's not my job, nor should it be, to explain to people other ways of doing things. I can only tell you what I know. Anything else would be bull{censored}. It would be the fault of those who don't speak up and present another path. Explain how it's done. Show us the results.

I've asked for that probably at least a dozen times now in this thread.

I'm still waiting.....

OK, here

Archived