Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster

Rob Door

• Members

Bought a Telecaster Acoustasonic a month ago. Exactly what i was looking for

it sounds great .....when it works

it failed me already 2 times at an important gig and nobody seems to be able to fix it

dissapointing because this concept is what i have been waiting for for years

i am afraid that the complicated technology inside the guitar is to sensitive  to be reliable enough for pro gigging or you gotta bring at least 2 of them 😉

any tiny fault in the electronics result in noise or no sound at all

hope they can fix it / improve it some day

• Members

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Well it's a long way from being an acoustic. It's a sort of hollow body electric guitar with probably an under-saddle piezo pickup as well as the single coil. I certainly wouldn't pay £1500+ for something like that :idk:

• Members

I don't know all the details, but the original acoustasonic was basically a semi hollow tele with a piezo bridge that attempted to make an "acoustic" sound.   They didn't go over very well.

The new one, introduced maybe a year ago has some sort of on board modeling hardware that is supposed to create all kinds of acoustic guitar sounds - one switch position is supposed to sound like a sitka and brazilian dread, another is a "Fender Electric Fat/Semi clean" sound, whatever that is.

I was mildly curious when this guitar was released so I asked my local Fender shop when they would get one in.   They said that for 2 grand they would special order one if someone wanted it but there was no way they were going to hang one on the wall.

As Howard says, its a long way from being an acoustic.

Sorry Rob is having problems with his, hope he gets it sorted out.

• Members

"...some sort of on board modeling hardware that is supposed to create all kinds of acoustic guitar sounds..."

Seems you could get some sort of Yamaha APX travel guitar used and Fishman Aura woo woo processor and have similar enough outfit. Bonus is could use Aura with other guitars.  Think I saw a blurb for one of those with "exotic woods" for only grand or two extra on top of already spendy price. As if exotic wood would make any difference for what comes out of the cable. How about "exotic circuit boards"?

I don't know a lot, but I do know this bit of blingyness isn't aimed at my sort of buyer. A solution in search of a problem.

• Moderators

I think the real point here is that the guitar is a month old and already has multiple failures.  Too bad there isn't a 'lemon law' for expensive guitars.  I have seen them on the wall at GC...and no one is playing them....I don't like the schmaltzy color schemes...or the price tag....[but I blame Taylor for charging much more for their T5s...which to me sounds neither like an acoustic, nor an electric, just some odd spot, not necessarily in between....but I digress].

But, certainly, the OP bought it under warranty, so worst case, they fix it, best case, they replace it.

• Members
20 hours ago, codecontra said:

I still fail to see the advantage of this guitar over the much less expensive Godin A6 Ultra which is a wonderful guitar.

It’s a Fender, which still carries tons of psychological weight.

• Members
On 11/9/2019 at 12:21 PM, codecontra said:

I still fail to see the advantage of this guitar over the much less expensive Godin A6 Ultra which is a wonderful guitar.

Earlier this year Mrs. DeepEnd and I saw a local trio where the guitarist was playing a nylon string Godin Multiac. It sounded pretty good considering he was using a small Mesa amp. Godin does great bang for the buck.

6 hours ago, Neal said:

It’s a Fender, which still carries tons of psychological weight.

I suspect you're correct. Brand and image make a much larger impact than they should.

• Members
On 11/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, daddymack said:

I think that was a safe assumption...but the OP has not been back to clarify

And what, given the history of 1 post newbies, do you think the likelihood of that occurring?

Board is owned by Gibson (?) yes?.. Fender diss right up the old alley with a fake member.

Could just be a conspiracy theory though.  

• Members

C’mon, most of these one-post-wonders, and there are hundreds, either bitch about a Gibson competitor, laud business connected to Gibson, or post in languages most in the Western world are familiar with.

I can’t be the only one, but if I am, the rest of you are not sufficiently cynical.  And ferchrissake, ALL of you are pretty damn cynical most of the time!

Archived