A chambered tele-ish sort of thing

Freeman Keller

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

incredible work , I've ben eagerly followng every step Thank you for taking the time to document and share the process .I am truely envious of your skill. It really is a work of art

But ,it's like a lady once told me "show just enough to make them look and hide enough to keep them guessing because the mystery is most enticing" I'm in the minority opinion here but I think a telecaster without some sort of pickgaurd or something is still a generic slab of wood no matter how nicely done

Hate on me all you want but it's my opinion

• Members
But the biggest question is how does it play

Do you notice a tonal difference with the chambered body

This first thing you notice when you pick this puppy up is just how incredibly light it actually is. It weighs 5 lb 13 oz on my postage scale - my hollow arch top is 6 lb 8, the chambered LP thing is 7 lb 10, my solid Lester is 9 lb 3. I'm tempted to take the scale down to the music store to weigh a "real" tele.

Second thing I notice when comparing to the LP is that unplugged it has a lot more "acoustic" presence. Neither one sounds good unplugged, but the tele seems considerably louder. We could speculate all day how that affects the plugged sound, and of course there are so many differences between them that the point is moot - but something for sure is moving a little bit more air.

The ergonomics seem fine - I like the neck shape (remember its based on a LP), the fret board is 12 inch and just a hair wider than most tele. I do notice the flat body - I'm used to angled necks and curved tops.

How does it sound plugged? It sounds like a tele, at least what I think a tele should sound like. Remember, I'm not an electric player, I've only rarely played other telecasters (and mostly those were ones that I built). Remember too that these are pretty generic pickups - I happened to have two StewMac "golden age" pups - I bought them for something else and so thats what I used ). I've used these in a couple of the barncasters and people seem to like them so for right now I'll leave them in. (Grant will be really disappointed, I promise one of these days to order a set from Fralin.....

With both my LP clone and the jazz guitar I tend to play thru my home made tube amp with no effects - just pure and clean. I play more on the neck pickup too - I've become spoiled by the lush sounds. The tele I've plugged into a cheap Fender practice amp that has a bunch of different "voices" - it seems to prefer just a little clipping. I don't know much about effects but I have a multi effect thing that I may experiment with. I'm way too old to be a shredder.

So, short story, I like the way it sounds, it will supplement my other two electrics rather than replacing them. I certainly am sold on the whole idea of chambering - both the chambered LP and this convince me it is worth while. I like the woods and finish, altho I'll admit that its a little more than I expect of a telecaster.

Final note, I always do a spreadsheet of the costs just for my records. This was kind of interesting - every thing involved came out of my stock. Sure, I bought it some time but the records are lost and it was basically like building for free. I bought two sticks of fret wire but didn't use them, a quart of lacquer and a 30 dollar gig bag. Maybe I need to look in boxes under the work bench more often.

Archived