loss in output in guitar

mbengs1

• Members

Plugging straight into the amp would give you a baseline. If the guitar "loses output" when you introduce pedals into the signal path, the pedals are to blame, not the guitar. OTOH, if you've tried the same setup with other guitars and they sound okay then it's probably not the pedals but I don't know what it is.

• Members

If it broke again,

then 1) no, the tech is NOT good. If it's repaired properly, it stays repaired.

OR

You are too rough on it, putting it on the ground without unplugging the cable., banging it around as you do your tribute to ________________________ (insert metal flavor of the week here.)

• Members

which guitar are you side x side comparing through the board, and how many pedals are in the chain? if you're comparing output loss between the passive equipped RG and the active equipped Les Paul, there will be a world of difference between the two. Actives push through pedalboards with no noticeable drop in output. Passives don't. And you have to setup pedal, EQ, and amp settings for each. the same settings usually don't work out well when switching back and forth between the two.

you could have a cold solder, or something else wrong, but even with everything correct, 100%, there will be an output drop difference when running through a chain.

• Members

turn the volume knob up all the way on all the noise making things and the amp you are using , there , also , and , if you also have an expression pedal thing in there , somewhere , make sure that thing is stuck all the way open , on, and not in the off position and that the volume things on your guitar are all the way up on on too , maybe, and stuff , maybe

• Moderators

you don't need a luthier, you need a guitar tech. There is nothing inside an electric guitar that might crap out after a month except the tone cap or a cold solder joint. I used to teach my guitar students how to solder and how to make basic repairs, as well as how to make their own cables...look on the web, there must be soldering tutorials and basic soldering irons can be had pretty cheap [or VERY expensive...if you solder a lot like I did, and invest in a Weller station].

Musician, heal thy gear!

• Members

Yes. Take the guitar somewhere else. Even if the first guy is an actual "luthier," which I doubt, that doesn't necessarily mean he knows electronics if he's a builder of acoustics. Either the guy doesn't know what he's doing or you're extremely rough on your guitars.

Archived