Can you tell playing an unplugged electric how it will likely sound amped?

Chordite

• Members

I'm starting to really dislike you, based simply on the fact that you make comments I would never think to make...And then find myself in a state of this weird "Wish I'd said that" envy. It rankles me...Makes me want to go to the local VooDoo priestess and have a curse put on your tubes. Make 'em go all microphonic on ya.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

[video=youtube_share;sNzJjlV1TOA]

I tend to agree with Paul on this when he says the guitar is a 'subtractive' instrument.

If the vibration of the electric guitar string is going to affect the surrounding magnetic field then that magnetic field will influence the vibration of the string - stratitus being an extreme example.

An interesting video. Obviously PRS has put a helluva lot of thought and energy into his theory and his craft.

At the end though..........Hendrix still owns the Star Spangled Banner on guitar.

• Members

interesting video comparison, Listening as a builder with many years experience of just listening for the frequency differences with an unbiased mind set. the differences were just as I predicted.

1. very subtle

2. mahogany has a lower mid "thickness" about it almost "hollowly mid nasel" is the best descrptors I can muster

3. the maple has the tighter bottom end with just a touch of crispness on the highs but is overall pretty even in tonal quality

4. the laminated fir is the really interesting one as it supports my thoughts about plywood guitars having lots of sustain and a strong upper mid tone.

I've build a couple of pickup test pigs out of baltic birch plywood and was pretty amazed at the results. also I've had many cheap plywood guitars come across my bench that had unreal sustain.. I even feel that there might be a correlation between this idea and "Pancake bodied" Les Pauls of the 70s.

• Members

I have been playing for almost (very almost) 50 years....I have never cared how an electric sounds unplugged. I care how it sounds plugged in since that is what matters.Some of the deadest unplugged electrics I've had have sounded great plugged in....an old Carvin DC100 comes to mind, though it is not the only one. So...I don't care about this....BUT if it is important to someone else, thats fine with me too....everyone is free to believe and buy anything they want. I also buy and sell used guitars, so it's great when someone decides to sell cheap in my book. I find that most5 guitars I buy cheap, were simply guitars that were never set up to their potential.

• Members

The pickups make a bigger difference. It's logical that some reach the wrong general conclusion because they've compared a guitar with a dead body and great pickups to one that's the other way around.

Another thing is that we're not talking about the volume unplugged, as different guitar designs will be louder. It's the actual sound quality.

Archived