SO I got banned from Strat-talk because I asked when Fender changed the body size on a Strat..

omni

• Members

This wasn't one of those Squiers, squire. Neck felt the opposite of rigid and solid. Really anemic unplugged and the pickups were bland. :)

I played a nice new Squier Strat at the local store this week through a Line 6 Helix and it was a good guitar. They wanted about $750 USD for it though, which I thought was a bit high given the compromises they design in to keep them from cannibalising Fenders.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There have been many body changes over the decades. Mostly in the contours, which can actually make the horns look very different.

Most notable changes started when CBS took over the company and paid workers by the piece. The "custom contoured" bodies Fender was famous for no longer were as sculpted and sleek.

I have heard the body changes and contours were done in 2001 ish, to go back to the original look and feel on the early 50's.

Right from the strat talk site

The 1950s and 1960s had the sleekest body shapes, but by the late 1970s the body shape got a lot bulkier.In the 1980s and 1990s had more squared edges and chubby horns at times.Finally in 1998,Fender started paying more attention to this and started making them with a much more vintage correct profile.

contours.jpg

• Members

The biggest difference I've noticed is in contours and radius on the body, with some having a much wider radius on the edges to give a softer, more rounded feel, and some having a much sharper radius & feeling like it has a harder edge. The only different sized bodies that I've seen have been on the HM/shredder type strats and the squier affinity series.

• 9 months later...
  • Members
WTH is wrong with those people? They said I "barged in" I have been a member for 10 years or more.. If anyone knows why or what year' date=' can you answer the question? Thanks. [/quote']

Seems to be QUITE common with most forums these days. I keep getting banned/board warnings nearly everywhere for the most petty reasons. I mean, I'm not a troll like so many others. They continue to function quite belligerently while I get the shaft for complaining about them.

I hope that doesn't happen here. Just because I have a difference of opinion isn't an excuse to badger me with constant board warnings for the most WHINY reasons.

As for your topic, I dunno. Sorry.

• Members
Don't worry about Strat-Talk and such forums. I got banned from TGP for a week just for correcting a persons (not gonna name him) false facts he was touting about.

I like that place but eff the admins there, honestly.

I guess one has to be a person of a /certain/ kind anyways when one wants to be an admin.

I'm on my 3rd lifetime ban from the gear page. One more and I get a set of steak knives.

I hope that doesn't happen here. Just because I have a difference of opinion isn't an excuse to badger me with constant board warnings for the most WHINY reasons.

Our forum members have a lot of different perspectives and opinions about gear, and not everyone likes the same things. We're pretty tolerant of different points of view - you won't get banned for that as long as you're not spouting racist or other hate-filled POV's. Our site rules are pretty common-sense and easy enough to follow - just be a Good Human and you'll be fine. :):wave:

• Members

I've been here I guess 3 years or so. I've never been warned about anything. I've clearly ticked a few people off here and there, but I guess not bad enough that they complained to an Admin. I did get a warning over at TGP last month,,,Simply because I alluded to a deficit of leadership in D.C. The some total of that was the comment.."We won't have to worry about that with Big Orange in charge".

They yanked my post and sent me a stern warning via E-Mail.

'S ok...They don't want politics, period, over there and I respect that actually. I didn't feel my comment was really inflammatory, but it's their call.

I haven't been there, period, for a month though. Not sure if I will ever go back. A shame...There are some smart, funny people over there. Really fast paced, a lot of posting.

• Members

I've been banned and had stern warnings (I'm under investigation at talkbass and I've got twice as man "likes" than posts :lol: )

Moderators can be a mean bunch, and they have autonomy so that if you say anything against them, then they can ban you.

I know, hun?

• Members
Not that I necessarily get that drift here. I mean' date=' there is a hard-core political thread which people are basically allowed things (which I'm guessing if it gets dicey is personal attacks, which I've seen few of oddly) [/quote']

:eatdrink048:

I've been here I guess 3 years or so. I've never been warned about anything.

I've been meaning to talk to you about that Joe... this matter has been brought to our attention, and your lack of controversial posts and all-around nice guy persona is starting to offend some of your fellow forumites. I'm afraid we're going to have to ask you to do something to get reported once in a while in order to help keep the peace around here... :cop:;)

Not that I necessarily get that drift here. I mean' date=' there is a hard-core political thread which people are basically allowed things (which I'm guessing if it gets dicey is personal attacks, which I've seen few of oddly) [/quote']

We try to keep politics out of the main forums and limit those discussions exclusively to the political forum. As far as personal attacks, there's no need to resort to those on a forum like HC - people can disagree agreeably - and if they don't, then they get a reminder (or a boot) from me... I'm extra-emphatic about that policy over on HCPP specifically because discussions about such hot-button topics as religion and politics are permitted there.

• Members

I've been meaning to talk to you about that Joe... this matter has been brought to our attention, and your lack of controversial posts and all-around nice guy persona is starting to offend some of your fellow forumites. I'm afraid we're going to have to ask you to do something to get reported once in a while in order to help keep the peace around here... :cop:;)

I've asked some stupid questions...That hasn't worked though...I've usually gotten patient answers sans the expected and deserved "That's a dumb question knucklehead".. So I'm outta ammo there I guess. HCPP is not a place to relax and learn things..or have relaxed conversations and swap stories. I don't generally sit around in waders so I'm not going in there just so I can get a reprimand, and feel special.

I guess I'm perhaps doomed to be forever offensively uncontroversial.

• Members

My 1979 Silver Anniversary Strat is a little thinner than my regular 1978 / three neck bolt Strat.

Squire sometimes surprise the hell out of me in the way they feel, play and sound. I've been lucky to try out some old Strats at Norm's Rare Guitars or if some one gave me the honor of playing an old masterpiece. They are big differences in thickness, length of the horns, neck size / profiles and routed contours. I've noticed even the pickups had more tonal individualism as compared to today's pickups.

My Fenders stay at home and every once in a while will go to a rehearsal ... The Squires go to those gigs at places where they sweep away the eye balls at closing time .... JK ;)

• 5 months later...

Archived