Hot or knot?

Freeman Keller

• Members

Weather warmed up above freezing so I could get back out in the shop. Have been debating various ideas for the heads of the three new barncasters.

IMG_3565_zpstxibnqle.jpg

]

IMG_3616_zpsuuwsjyaa.jpg

Sawed some of the body cutoffs into 1/8 inch thick pieces, then picked out some nice knots (knice nots?).

IMG_3625_zpsakxazlsp.jpg

Here is the back of one guitar

IMG_3626_zpspzi5ayrb.jpg

My wife says she doesn't like it, I kinda do. Watcha think?

• Members

I am not a "knot head" so this is just a question: Is it possible that with age etc the knots could pop out from the wood, or at least rise up? Seem to recall from my youth seeing that happen from time to time. That would be my concern. Oh, and in the headstock, would the knot not add to the strength, being from a different flow of the grain? Just asking.

• Members

Good questions - yes the knots are potential problems in the body (as are some of the old cracks) but I have wicked some super glue in around them with the idea to stabilize them. Remember that the wood is a hundred or so years old - its probably pretty stable by now.

As far as inlaying into the headstock - again, whatever I do will be only about a 1/16 thick and will be glued in with CA. It should have no affect on the strength.

Archived