gibson les paul tribute 2017 T

mbengs1

• Members

So, I have one of those Paul faded mahogany things from about 2006ish. It took awhile to dial it in, but it rocks now. My friend who can actually play guitar has it right now: amazing. It does all the things humbuckers do well and none of those things that suck...if that makes sense.

I saw these guitars on sweetwater. theyre cheap' date=' 900 US dollars. where are they made? why are they so cheap when they look great?[/quote']

I saw one online for the first time the other day, and was intrigued. I'd love to try one out.

So... which one do you like best - the satin gold top or the honey burst?

750-LPTR17FHNH_front.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPTR17FHNH

750-LPTR17SGNH_front.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPTR17SGNH

These are really speaking to me - a lot. They have all the main features I look for in a Les Paul - maple top, the right neck profile and inlays, rosewood fingerboard... My main beef is minor and cosmetic - I miss the "poker chip" on the pickup selector switch. As I understand it, they figured out a way to install the switch without scratching the top, so they did away with it on a lot of the 2017 models, but I'm so used to seeing it that it looks a bit funny without it. What do you guys think? I know it could be added to one of these for just a couple of bucks more...

• Members

I saw those just the other day browsing through MF as a matter of fact. I was asking myself much the same question as the OP. Looks like a lot of guitar for not much money. It's even cheaper than their "Studio" line, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd take a goldtop and find a way to get a hot set of mini-humbuckers in it.

• Members
I saw one online for the first time the other day, and was intrigued. I'd love to try one out.

So... which one do you like best - the satin gold top or the honey burst? . . .

I've never been a fan of the way a gold top looks when it tarnishes so I'd take the honey burst and add the ''poker chip.'' :thu:

I've never been a fan of the way a gold top looks when it tarnishes so I'd take the honey burst and add the ''poker chip.'' :thu:

I have to admit I was also wondering how well the satin goldtop would hold up. I know goldtops can tarnish eventually (which can look cool IMO), but I wouldn't want it to happen in the first ten years or so... after that, it's earned it. ;)

• Members

I has a Gibson Goldtop Les Paul Standard. It's old now. Purchased new in the fall 1982. It's in really nice shape, and has kind of a weirder less yellow looking gold top. I would say there actually quite a bit of silver in the gold paint.

The other thing strange about the guitar is it has a maple neck, like a Les Paul Custom.

I think Norlin was bagging out Customs when they got my order and put standard inlays on it. No biggie, cause it sounds really nice. I am partial to the tones it delivers through my Marshall JCM 800 combo, or the Dr Z Maz 18. It's just pure classic raw rock and roll.

If I did any thing that was smart in my purchase of musical instruments, is when I got bored with something I stuck it under the bed and bought something else. Years later, I would pull out the hidden gem for under the bed, and remember why I loved it to begin with.

It came in the second generation chainsaw case.

I'm not the only one here either, with a standard with a maple neck. I have Gibson labeled tuner on my LP

14075876gd.jpg

Mt SG Standard was purchased 2 years before and came in the first generation chain saw case. The SG is nice and great player, but has the output jack mounted on the side like a Les Paul.

I'm not the only one who has one like that either. Mine has the smaller square inlays, not the trapezoid all ones, like seen in this photo

1986GibsonSGRed.jpg

Mine for real

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31878850[/ATTACH]

fetch?filedataid=122028

• Members

I briefly test drove one these new LPs at Guitar Center along with other similarly constructed and similarly priced 2017 Gibson models that weren't Les Pauls.

The T model is a very competent no-frills decent Les Paul for not much money. Its satin mat finish is nice.

Even though the Sweetwater link says otherwise, I thought this had a maple neck, not a mahogany neck.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I am glad to read these comments on the Goldtop 2017. I made a trade a few weeks ago and acquired an American Standard Telecaster 2002. I have been a Fender player for a lot of years (my last LP was a cherry Deluxe in1974.) I tried for two weeks now to bond with it and can't, so I ran an ad looking for a even trade. Guy about 2 miles from my house replied within 15 minutes and wanted to know if I wanted his brand new Tribute Goldtop. He had the bag and a tweed hard shell case he bought for it. Said he would trade even, so I told him yes. Picking it up from him tomorrow, and hoping to love it. I asked if it has the bat neck and he said pretty slim for a LP. Thats good cause I am not large and the bonding with my Tele didn't happen because it has a fat old style neck on it.

Sounds like I am doing OK with this trade. I might be losing a little money, but he said the LP had about 2 hours playing time. Gift from his wife, but he has played Tele's for 30 years and she didn't know there was difference when she bought it. He hates it.

Wish me luck.....

EDIT: I forgot to mention I do have a goldtop Gibson Nighthawk Studio so these two should look good together on stage.

• Members

Say what you want about Gibsons, but (excluding some of their recent import/domestic hybrids) I think they produce in their entry level lines some of the best tonal bangs for the buck. I attribute that to their exclusive Gibson pixie dust.

• Members

I think I'd go with the honey burst as would hide inevitable dents and dings I'd inflict on it. Aren't there some semi-jokey poker chips out there? I'd like one with Gum (neck) and Bite (bridge).... if had way to put middle as "chew".... okay anyway, how is the weight? The gig bag?

Archived