I think my wife's on to me...

Phil O'Keefe

She emailed this to me the other day...

fetch?filedataid=119969

But I knew exactly what to tell her.

"Just make sure you get everything appraised before you sell it, because every so often, something actually increases in value over time. You may be pleasantly surprised by how many good investment decisions I made." :idea::D

Feel free to borrow that response if the need ever arises. ;):wave:

• Members

I told my wife the money invested in gear is accruing more interest then we get in our retirement accounts. In many cases that's true and nearly everything I have can be sold for a profit. The only question is would se be patient enough to sell it off for the best price or just sell it to get rid of it in a hurry.

She's been bugging me to make a list op of the expected value of everything. I think the easiest way might be to just make up small stickers with the value of everything and tag them but that wouldn't be much good if she was seeking an insurance clam do to robbery or natural disaster.

• Members

fetch?filedataid=119969

"Just make sure you get everything appraised before you sell it, because every so often, something actually increases in value over time. You may be pleasantly surprised by how many good investment decisions I made." :idea::D

Gibson, Fender, Martin stuff tends to really hold it's value, but f you hang on to anything long enough it can be a money maker

• Members

fetch?filedataid=119969

That's a good one, gave me a laugh.

I'm afraid my wife will just rent a van and load up the whole kit and caboodle and deliver them to the nearest Guitar Center for 30 cents on the dollar.

I've kept a pretty good spreadsheet on my gear, but of course haven't always updated my cost basis for such sundries as gig-bags/cases/p'up upgrades etc. but I tell her to at least look at my costs (And I've rarely paid MAP). I've often said that most of my stuff should fetch close to 70% of what I paid less shipping (and possibly < 70% for lower end stuff) and that some of it will have appreciated. And that if I kick she should think of it as inheriting a guitar store with no carrying costs on the inventory. So I suggest she eBay her way through it all for the biggest bang for her buck. (or Reverb.com). But I think she probably just won't want to deal with it.

In the meantime, I need to get going myself to thin out my herd. My amp department is also over grown and I need to free up some footprint space in the house if I want to do any upgrades, but with shipping being a fairly prohibitive factor with amps, I imagine that Craigslist will be my best bet for those (with the returns possibly being skimpier than on guitars). But then again, I don't relish going that route since I've heard plenty of aggravating Craigslist stories from the folks here at HCEG. So far the only sales I've made were actually through HC, but I'm not sure if the traffic is anywhere near where it used to be. (?) But I'd tell her to take a look at selling on HC. I remember the folks here were good at offering Leopardstar's widow some good prices when he suddenly passed (RIP). I wouldn't have minded stepping up for his much coveted SG Supreme myself, but never got the opportunity. Wouldn't have been surprised if he was buried with it.

• 1 month later...

Archived