Post some of your favorite........

bluesmann

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My little anecdote. We were in Chi town for a convention. Thought we'd go out for some music, asked the concierge if he would get us a cab to Buddy Guys club. He said "you like the blues, you need to go to Kingstone Mine. Just tell your cabbie to drop you at the door - you don't want to walk very far".

They had two stages, Conner playing on one, did an acoustic set then simply tore the place apart on electric. I came home with four cds, a headache and a new appreciation for what one woman with a slide on her pinky could do.

During one break I was chatting her up and asked about her old Les Paul. She said "oh, its not old, I just play the sh*t out of it". Amen.

(interesting, forum software won't let me put in quotation marks)

• Members

The last two rabbit holes I went down were: The Mermen (starting several years back) and The Brian Jonestown Massacre.

The Mermen take surf tones, make it a bit more edgy, with a certain psychedelic/ethereal nature to it. To me, they should be far more well known, but they mainly stick to the So Cal area.

The BJM captures my interest in that they also take a past genre, much like that of the Stones, but then add a bit of a darker edgier vibe which updates the sound. I've bought pretty much all the recording by both of those bands. I'd say that BJM is not as consistent, but Newcombe is an amazingly prolific writer so there's lot of material to choose form.

Hard to decide which to post, but these are among my faves by those bands:

This one has Jim Thomas on guitar (as usual) with Allen Whitman on bass

[video=youtube;zGbLpNlUy7Q]

But for visual, I must confess I do like the vids that have the long legged California surfer girl Jennifer Burnes stopping out the bass notes in her knee high platform boots. :p

I get a contact high by listening to this one by BJM

[video=youtube;3BqRNSlTXsw]

• Members

Around 17;56 the staccato jazzy stuff is very kool. That one part of Monkey bars ? he was wailing big time. Good choice onelife. I like the drummer too. Kool kit with one ride tom, looks like something rogers would have done in the early dayz. BJ from Ruff Ryders played a 4 piece kit too, with a zillion cymbals. One of the best percussionist I've ever had the pleasure to jam with.

• Members

I was helping out with monitor world at a summer music festival a couple of years ago when Don Alder showed up.

His guitar had a combination of a pickup and microphone in it with separate output jacks for each. He ran them into his own mixer and asked for a dedicated monitor for his mixer. He had the volume control for the mic in the sound hole of the guitar. He used the monitor to get controlled feedback - the first time he did it I thought I had to go out and move the monitor but he waved me off and told me it was intentional.

He played the guitar like a percussion instrument finding places where he could get good kick drum and snare sounds. He setup some great grooves and actually had people dancing.

He described himself as an artist rather than a guitarist.

[video=youtube;NF-17U2owhk]

[video=youtube;yKRl-e-tyko]

Archived