Post some of your favorite........

bluesmann

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In my early twenties I had the great privilege of attending a week long jazz workshop where Ed Bickert was the guitar instructor. It literally changed my approach to the solid body electric guitar.

When the workshop was over, I wanted to carry on with learning so I called up a local jazz guitarist. He asked me what kind of guitar I had and, when I told him it was a Les Paul, he said 'you can't play jazz on a solid body.'

• Members

I agree, very nice "feel" for the instrument. If I had that much feel for playing on nylon, I'd be getting my Cordoba FCWE "Gypsy King" out and playing it much more. But instead I'd probably simple default back to my normal hack job of playing Classical Gas. LOL ;^)

But still, I'm inspired to get that guitar out now.

• Members

That's a song I figure I'll always be a student of. I do fine on the thicker strings, but tremolo picking on the wispier strings is a much bigger challenge. I was recently listening to a video of Dick talking about his early days and he mentioned that his early string gauges started with a 0.60 :-O

I'd read years ago that due to his Lebanese heritage that he was emulating the sound of mandolins, but that last video of his I watched, he said he was emulating more of a percussion sound due to his passion for playing drums. But when I'm serious about working on this tremolo picking, short of restringing my high E to something thicker, I'll just reach for a fat Dunlop Stubby pick which is less likely to get hung up on the wispy strings.

• Members

Okay, let me slide on this one, while maybe not technically "guitar" this is one of the first songs I loved where the players are true shredders!

"The music is composed by the infamous and acclaimed composer Mikis Theodorakis, based on two traditional Cretan songs, "Armenohorianos Syrtos" and "Kritiko syrtaki", composed by Giorgis Koutsourelis."

• Members
Okay, let me slide on this one, while maybe not technically "guitar" this is one of the first songs I loved where the players are true shredders!

"The music is composed by the infamous and acclaimed composer Mikis Theodorakis, based on two traditional Cretan songs, "Armenohorianos Syrtos" and "Kritiko syrtaki", composed by Giorgis Koutsourelis."

I knew I remembered this song some where. Bigtime vintage

• Members

This is ot as well But! listen to the licks in this lady's voice. The long note with the licks at the end is killer imo. She can sing some bluz.

​Sam Bailey has soul, mojo what ever you want to call it. She's got some guitar licks.

• Members

I knew I remembered this song some where. Bigtime vintage

Yeah, it's a cool song from one of my all-time favorite movies. One can learn a bit about life and cultures just from watching it. Also the best film Anthony Quinn ever did.

Here's the original version'

And there is actually plenty of guitar tab and lesson videos out there for it. I started working on learning it a year or so ago, but no surprise, I didn't get to far with it.

• Members

I was a mentor to my stepson to learn electric guitar. When I first met him, he had an electric guitar with a broken nut. I took it off and got it fixed for him, a couple years or so later when he came back after spending one apparently very boring summer with his biological dad, he'd spent a good deal of that summer learning scales and had pretty much left me in the dust. For his 8th grade talent show he played this piece note for note. He'd recorded the bass and rhythm tracks ahead of time, and played the lead part live without missing a note, including all the fret tapping and harmonics. Even though I cringed as I watched his mother walk right in front of him with one of those old VCR sized camcorders on her shoulder, he still didn't miss a beat. I mentioned it to him later and he said he never noticed it, he was too busy looking at the fretboard, thank God.

• Members

Here's an older favorite of mine. I first heard this song in 1978 when I went with a college friend to visit his friend who might be "holding". I remember the guy had a bong he'd named "Starvin Marvin" since he said Marvin was often starvin for weed. But anyway, he was playing this album/song, and I never forgot that. Back in those days it was rare to see many folks deviating from the top 40 shtick.

Al D is playing with Paco de Lucia on this piece. I can't remember which is which, but the track was recorded with one coming from the left channel and the other from the right, so it was and still is cool to listen to this flamenco-based duel.

• Members

Burriss amps liked this one and asked to use it in their burriss boostiest pedal demo. SURE! the backing I got off a Floyd guitar fan site. I think its like a crazy diamonds kinda thing. The amp used is a Zinky Supro sahara (love the mids in this amp) a boostiest in to a Maxon screamer. delay/verb. is from the board. Guitar is a Godin exit 22. I just went for it after about 4 try's not recording. I should have recorded all of them. None of them were the same. I liked what I did in this one.

• Members

Since you're "bluesman" I thought I should add this from the good folks at Possum Records

Asie Payton:

[video=youtube;l0kx7D-xJ-4]

It's one of my fave "raw blues" albums along with stuff from Junior Kimbrough, RL Burnside, etc. . .

Archived