Sign in to follow this  
bluesmann

Post some of your favorite........

Post some of your favorite MP3 or Video's of (GUITAR) music. Add to that some of your thoughts about the player and why the music inspires you. Feel free to post, This could be anybody or artist, the friend down the street, your guitar instructor, cover band, even you. Lets start it off with some funky funky with Daryl's house

these guys get their groove on bigtime.
  • Like 1

this is great .i think this is what might be going on , just before the ending while he is doing the wammy bar bit he looks down to see where his wah wah is, then he clobbers the wah with his hand to switch it on ,then goes into that very iconic treble soaked lead playout ,love it.

[video=youtube;xlJclT1lMBk]

Edited by catscurlyear
  • Like 2

Two of my favourite guitar players are Kenney Burrell, a jazz player with a blues feel, and Robben Ford, a blues player with a jazz vocabulary.

When I listen to these guys it sounds to me like they are headed toward the same place but from different directions. I hope to get to that place with my playing.

[video=youtube;25AYZdKEpYk]

[video=youtube;MeIAUtgzAno]

• Like 2

The first time I heard Larry Carlton was with the Crusaders in the early '70s. I thought "that guy really knows his way around the guitar but he just closes his eyes and plays."

It changed the way I approach the instrument. Now I strive for that freedom to be able to let the music flow through me without being hampered by lack of ability on the instrument.

[video=youtube;AnZjhc3005k]

• Like 2

Larry Carlton is stellar in this performance. I'm a big fan of Ford as well. Kenney seems more on the old school jazz side of life. all amazing.. thanks for the post.

Randy Hansen band imo has captured the soul and spirit of the Jimi Hendrix experience. Amazing tone. he's also mastered the octave up effect. from my favorite album Band of gypsys

• Like 3

OT a bit but hey! its all good. Come on Grace Potter lets dance...........

Edited by bluesmann

never mind it`s live at montreux `86 great concert . have you tried Epic Privacy Browser there is a little red plug at the end of the address bar it turns green when you switch it on and it enables a proxy server,blocks trackers etc ,i can watch stuff i couldn`t before ,i don`t know how safe it is mind ,i wouldn`t put any passwords through it lol.

Saw this little lady in Chicago a few years ago, been a fan ever since

[video=youtube_share;iSwoM7WIy5M]

She's pretty good on acoustic too

[video=youtube_share;Z3Xjris1PNc]

• Like 1

"… cause I can play this here guitar…"

The man's a monster - the Oscar Peterson of the guitar with vocal chops comparable to Stevie Wonder.

He brings it all together with a great sense of groove, harmony and melody with all parts working at the same time.

btw, you could also post this in the drums forum

My little anecdote. We were in Chi town for a convention. Thought we'd go out for some music, asked the concierge if he would get us a cab to Buddy Guys club. He said "you like the blues, you need to go to Kingstone Mine. Just tell your cabbie to drop you at the door - you don't want to walk very far".

They had two stages, Conner playing on one, did an acoustic set then simply tore the place apart on electric. I came home with four cds, a headache and a new appreciation for what one woman with a slide on her pinky could do.

During one break I was chatting her up and asked about her old Les Paul. She said "oh, its not old, I just play the sh*t out of it". Amen.

(interesting, forum software won't let me put in quotation marks)

Edited by Freeman Keller

The last two rabbit holes I went down were: The Mermen (starting several years back) and The Brian Jonestown Massacre.

The Mermen take surf tones, make it a bit more edgy, with a certain psychedelic/ethereal nature to it. To me, they should be far more well known, but they mainly stick to the So Cal area.

The BJM captures my interest in that they also take a past genre, much like that of the Stones, but then add a bit of a darker edgier vibe which updates the sound. I've bought pretty much all the recording by both of those bands. I'd say that BJM is not as consistent, but Newcombe is an amazingly prolific writer so there's lot of material to choose form.

Hard to decide which to post, but these are among my faves by those bands:

This one has Jim Thomas on guitar (as usual) with Allen Whitman on bass

[video=youtube;zGbLpNlUy7Q]

But for visual, I must confess I do like the vids that have the long legged California surfer girl Jennifer Burnes stopping out the bass notes in her knee high platform boots. :p

I get a contact high by listening to this one by BJM

[video=youtube;3BqRNSlTXsw]

I have to add some more Guthrie Trapp. I stumbled on this today ...

[video=youtube;ef0I1aJliWk]

Around 17;56 the staccato jazzy stuff is very kool. That one part of Monkey bars ? he was wailing big time. Good choice onelife. I like the drummer too. Kool kit with one ride tom, looks like something rogers would have done in the early dayz. BJ from Ruff Ryders played a 4 piece kit too, with a zillion cymbals. One of the best percussionist I've ever had the pleasure to jam with.

I tried to find the original smash hits version but some as- SMF had had it blocked, but this is close enough. Jimi DID the blues! and did em goode.

My last post was more about my most recent interests. For a classic performance, I think it's hard to beat "Cliffs.."

Various glorious tones of a cranked vintage Strat, with an intricate musical composition expertly executed:

[video=youtube;15eu7ar5EKM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eu7ar5EKM

Edited by GAS Man
  • Like 1

This guy gets some really nice textures with alternate tunings.

[video=youtube;NAfCcyWUIwI]

• Like 1

What's not to love about Eric's playing, amazing! I'm not to keen on some of his tones as in this piece but the playing is flawless.

Don Potter has been in the music business, secular and the religious / Christian scene from 78 records to Cds . he's just about seen it all.

I was helping out with monitor world at a summer music festival a couple of years ago when Don Alder showed up.

His guitar had a combination of a pickup and microphone in it with separate output jacks for each. He ran them into his own mixer and asked for a dedicated monitor for his mixer. He had the volume control for the mic in the sound hole of the guitar. He used the monitor to get controlled feedback - the first time he did it I thought I had to go out and move the monitor but he waved me off and told me it was intentional.

He played the guitar like a percussion instrument finding places where he could get good kick drum and snare sounds. He setup some great grooves and actually had people dancing.

He described himself as an artist rather than a guitarist.

[video=youtube;NF-17U2owhk]

[video=youtube;yKRl-e-tyko]

There's some great buskers in Bath, some great musicians, both guitar and non guitarists, and although Loopy McNair is about my favourite, I love Ben Powell's feel.

[video=youtube;T-BNryzgwKg]

• Like 1