Post some of your favorite........

bluesmann

• Members

Speaking of Santana:

"Carlos Santana can’t stand to watch the scene that made him famous. His band’s incendiary performance at Woodstock and in the subsequent documentary made him an instant star, but it also captures a man tripping his brains out.

“When I watched the movie, I wanted to crawl under the seat,” Santana tells The News. “I see a surfer who’s riding a huge wave and just trying not to wipe out.”

As Santana reveals in his excellent new autobiography, “The Universal Tone,” out Tuesday, Jerry Garcia had offered him a hit of mescaline, and he gulped it right down, thinking he’d have time to come down before his set.

He might have, but promoters needed Santana to go on right away because so many other bands were stuck in the horrific traffic.

“It was like trying to grab a bar of soap that keeps slipping through your fingers,” Santana tells The News of his playing that day.

He made a private pact with God that if he let him stay in tune, “I’d never do this again.”

In other interviews he said he saw the guitar neck moving like a snake he was wrestling.

This is my other "favorite tune" of his (in that jaw dropping/brings a tear to my eye kind of favorite)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gas Man that was great! thanks for the post. Oye como va was the first lead part I ever learned after batman, bonanza's theme song and wipe out of course. I spun that abraxas album over and over seeking out the notes. I'm telling my age now (smiles)

Back then all the ones you though were good guitar players would never show me anything, even when I took some lessons and paid my hard to get $$$. I even horse traded for my Epiphone crestwood. Used chrome Wheels (slots) 2 swords and a bunch of other junk. I was a happy camper buddy. I had seen those pickups before on a deluxe Les Paul so I just knew it was a good guitar.

I found a ampeg Reverberocket a friend would sell to me and it turned out someone else laid claim to it. 150.00. it took me longer than a year to pay for that amp.

I had it modded to take EL34's. I used a LPB1 thinking I needed more power and got something very good out of it I didn't expect. Then along came a original MXR phases 45. Man! that took me into, well, almost Trower territory. I bought a Altec 12" and A homemade cab that had two CTS 10" speakers in it. I bought 4 of these cabs cheap.

None of them sounded quite right for guitar. I looked in back of the console stereo we had. That was one of those big pieces of furniture things. I saw that where the speakers were, it was mostly this perforated board. a light bulb went of in my head and I went for the drill. I hooked up and turned the amp on. I would drill 8 to 10 holes and see if it had changed the sound of the amp. I'm not sure how many holes it took but at one point the cab seemed to come alive. 30 holes on each corner in the back? something like that.

So I had put the altec in the amp and had wired + to + and so on. A 8 ohm and a 16 ohm load together. The tone was glorious and magical. I've never been able to get that same sound since. It was harmonically rich and single notes had a duality like more than one note was being blended in but you couldn't tell exactly what it was like as if it was a octaver or something. Hard to explain the tone for lack of metaphors.

. back then I was still playing leads with 3 fingers, no pinky working yet.

Sorry for the long rant but your post fired something up in me. Thanks Gas Man! Peace.

• Members

While his old old band is playing sports arenas and still playing Smoke on the Water for their finale, Ritchie comes out and plays solo acoustic guitar as he performs in castles and theatres with his wife.

He still pulls out the old strat and even does some of his unorthodox slide playing in this one...

I didn't realize he played so much slide when I was copying the Deep Purple stuff back in the '70s. It did, however, help me develop a style that includes some fluid string bending.

• Members

I've always liked David Lindley and his covers of popular songs. I've played many of them in different bands over the years and they seem to work very well because the audience knows them but they also provide a fresh take.

On this one, he hints at "Runaway" during the instrumental section of his ska version of "Do Ya Wanna Dance."

• Members

@3:59 the O'Jays play 'For The Love of Money'

The tone from the 335 is what I call the magic in this video

Eddie Lavert is on Fire too

Not sure what fender amp is used but he dials up the volume slightly and it all just starts to Ring.

Love his tone (must watch on HD)

BTW who are the players? Can't find any info really

• Members

It's a Twin Reverb.

ES-335 -> Fender Twin = :) :) :) :)

A friend of mine who played classical guitar had a badly beat up '68 'pencil neck' 335 that he used to play gigs solely for the 'money money mo..ney' and he was having difficulty with the microphonic pickups. I had an Ibanez 335 copy with a wide thin neck that I had paid $250 for. I liked the Ibanez a lot and it was one of my main gigging guitars.

We got together for a jam one day and at one point we switched guitars. I plugged his 335 into my Twin and it was and amazing combination. He liked the wide neck on the Ibanez and I loved the sound of the 335 - so we treated right there on the spot.

I had to do a lot of work to get the 335 back into playing condition but it was worth it. Ultimately we both thought we got the better deal and thirty years later I still have the 335.

• Members

I've never heard so much sound come out of a acoustic guitar. Do my eyes deceive me with this guitar being setup as a 12 string with singles in the middle? These guitars must be setup to play as good as the best electrics available. what's it cost these dayz to get into a acoustic that plays well? Or is it after market work that has to be done by a skilled artist / luthier.? great taste and post Alamo joe, thanks for the heads up. I've heard of Leo before but its been long ago.

Archived