Get High

gardo

• Members

High action that is.

One of my guitaar buddies stopped in yesterday to do some playing. He said he didn't know what I did to that Strat but it sounded great. I handed to him to try out and he commented about the action being kind of high. I said right and that's why it sounds so good. i'm convinced that the strings need room to move .It may not be as obviuos with a pedal train but if you play clean like I do try it ,if you don't like it you can always put it down again

Nothing to lose but a little time and great tone to gain

• Members

The action on my Fernandes was much higher than it was "supposed to be" and I've carried that over to my Schecter. I find problems with buzzing and such if there isn't some room for the string to move. I raised the action on my "good" acoustic a few weeks ago and just last night I added some relief to the neck on my Schecter, which had been at .010" at the 8th fret. It's about half again that now.

• Members

I don't see how it can make a jot of difference once it is high enough to clear the frets and there is no buzz.

There is no physics to support raising them above that.

I foresee this becoming one of those 'fashion' things where everyone is setting their strings like a trampoline for a couple of years.

• Members

I suspect it has to do with people setting up guitars with "low action" and forgetting that the strings need to vibrate. The operative notion is "high enough to clear the frets and there is no buzz." There are probably numerous guitars that fall outside that category because the owners don't know any better. In theory, at least, even a fairly small amount of buzzing can interfere with dynamics and reduce sustain.

• Members
I don't see how it can make a jot of difference once it is high enough to clear the frets and there is no buzz.

I foresee this becoming one of those 'fashion' things where everyone is setting their strings like a trampoline for a couple of years.

Here are some physics you can study if you enjoy that sort of thing

http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/feschools/waves/standing_waves.php

• Members

The higher the action the more headroom so to speak; more apparent sustain and maybe in fact more sustain for starters.

• Members

This. My Beast is just high enough not to buzz and sustains forever. If you cant get sustain and low action at the same time, you might consider a truss rod adjustment.

As far as a fashion thing, I can see this going the way of the super light picks for speed picking (bad idea), or whatever.

I guess it also depends on what you're playing - for what i play, I couldn't afford the speed loss that is inevitable

• Members

I have Jacksons, Kramers and some home assembled guitars with low action that clear frets, and don't fret out. I seen a video of Robin Trower, on how he got that booming Strat tone on "Bridge of Sighs", I tried it on a S,S,S, Strat and the tone is huge, I loved the way it made my 4 X 12 Laney cabs pushed air, made an awesome difference. Plus the higher action makes a good work out before going on to my low action Super Strats ;)

• Members
I have Jacksons' date=' Kramers and some home assembled guitars with low action that clear frets, and don't fret out. I seen a video of Robin Trower, on how he got that booming Strat tone on "Bridge of Sighs", I tried it on a S,S,S, Strat and the tone is huge, I loved the way it made my 4 X 12 Laney cabs pushed air, made an awesome difference. Plus the higher action makes a good work out before going on to my low action Super Strats ;)[/quote']

I. Saw the same video and took his advice . The guitar had no problems to start with and now the sound has really opened up

• Members
High action that is.

One of my guitar buddies stopped in yesterday to do some playing. He said he didn't know what I did to that Strat but it sounded great. I handed it to him to try out and he commented about the action being kind of high. I said right and that's why it sounds so good. I'm convinced that the strings need room to move .It may not be as obvious with a pedal train but if you play clean like I do try it ,if you don't like it you can always put it down again

Nothing to lose but a little time and great tone to gain

I view that "high action" principle to be fact, but I'm no fan of high action. I can buy better tone, but I'm always trying to dial my guitars in as low as I can get them with just no more than a hair of occasional string buzz. Too much buzz definitely knocks the tone out of the notes.

But while I appreciate the SRV setup guidelines for better tone, I'm more concerned about my fretting hand, cuz sometimes I feel like I'm trapped with the hands of a woman, cuz I gets me the minstrel cramps real bad.

smiley-wink

• Members

I. Saw the same video and took his advice . The guitar had no problems to start with and now the sound has really opened up

My Strat has a Fender Custom Shop 69's in the neck / middle and a Schaller S6 pickup ... it sustains and the feedback, rages like Jimi at Woodstock. The S6 pickup is rated at 13.06k ohms, it has a semi- P90 bass and mids but has a great Strat sparkle to it without being too shrill.

• Members

I was only referring to Stevie R Vaughan's widely reported preference for thick strings (the high E was usually ~ .013) with high action. But he also recorded a lot of his music with the guitar tuned down 1/2 step.

• Members

I personally think this "high action=better tone" thing, is ridiculous. Yes, the action needs to be high enough not to hit the frets when bending and whatnot. But the solution here is a simple one. Want better tone? Lower the pickups to simulate that "high action". And also, your intonation would be out with that high action crap.

• Members
But the solution here is a simple one. Want better tone? Lower the pickups to simulate that "high action". And also' date=' your intonation would be out with that high action crap.[/quote']

The improved tone is not the result of more distance to the pickups. This will not be a real factor once a string is fretted. The imprroved tone is because the vibrations of the strings are not so dampend by the frets. Fret buzz is always very noticeable but that is not what it's about either. There is still a slight dampening of the string movment that we are not normally even aware of until it is removed. Then it's as if the guitar is on steroids. I didn't go crazy high with the action and I had to reset the intonation but it came right in and I also re-adjusted the pickup height it sounds great. I can hear the difference.. Try it

• Members

"There is still a slight dampening of the string movment that we are not normally even aware of until it is removed"

and higher action fixes this, when a proper setup doesn't?

Yes, the higher action IS a factor when fretting, since to achieve this magical height, you need to raise your bridge. and no matter where you fret, the increased bridge height is there. But if your actions is set up right to begin with, ie: no buzzing or fretting out, then why wouldn't lowering the pickups apply?

• Members

Within reason. Of course strings can be too low...and your buddy should be aware they CAN be too high too.

Depends on the guitar and player- there's only a few general rules, and of course adept guitar specifications. Don'tt make mass generalizations. A tele can have VERY low action just like a Jackson DNKY and still play and sound AWESOME.

• Members

The improved tone is not the result of more distance to the pickups. This will not be a real factor once a string is fretted. The imprroved tone is because the vibrations of the strings are not so dampend by the frets. Fret buzz is always very noticeable but that is not what it's about either. There is still a slight dampening of the string movment that we are not normally even aware of until it is removed. Then it's as if the guitar is on steroids. I didn't go crazy high with the action and I had to reset the intonation but it came right in and I also re-adjusted the pickup height it sounds great. I can hear the difference.. Try it

If the guitar is built and set up correctly then your assumption is FALSE.

Of course many guitars aren't and the quick cheap solution is raising the action.

Having said that...some player do prefer a little bit higher strings- or maybe even a lot higher. A PREFERENCE for the PLAYER. Depends on what they do, what kind of guitar they have and as I said the quality of build, assembly and setup.

It's not just ONE thing "guitars sound better with higher action". Just a very stupid ignorant statement.

(PS- didn;t say YOU said it gardo- just a general comment for all readers)

Archived