can you christians explain something to me?

Double D

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

goodhonk, your telling me to be open minded? Please tell it to your christian friends who never once questioned what the pastor told them.

Hoist them on their own petard:

Acts 17:11 (New International Version)

Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Philippians 2:12 (NIV)

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed

• Members
I remember what my guitar teacher told me at 15. "Religion is just a crutch for society, created by society". I thank him for opening my eyes.

Wait... you based your spiritual beliefs on something your... guitar teacher said?

Your guitar teacher? For serious?

:facepalm:

• Members
onyx, it's south carolina. Many people here are too stupid to ask questions. Hence the expansion of the christian religion

There's stupid people all over. Christianity isn't really expanding.

But, specifically, your friends are "too stupid to ask questions"? It doesn't sound like the type of people you would want for friends. :idk:

• Members

I was born and raised a republican christian in South Carolina. I no longer am of course, but yea, I have a lot of christian friends and think I can talk from both sides of this equation.

which college professor (which subject) if any

did you find most influential?

• Members
There's stupid people all over. Christianity isn't really expanding.

But, specifically, your friends are "too stupid to ask questions"? It doesn't sound like the type of people you would want for friends.
:idk:

define friend

• Members

I'm not saying it just for the sake of saying it. I'm saying it because I have an extensive educational and vocational background in the sciences.

Cool! I have a Nobel Prize and am calling bull {censored}.

I don't care if you're Bill Nye. This isn't a pissing contest, it's about the exchange of ideas. So, abiogenesis: go.

• Members

ben allison, I also agree with you that science is incomplete. We do not know how life sparked, and I don't know if we ever will. I know there is plenty out there that science can never explain. I just don't think that's a reason to explain it all away with religion.

Both science and religion are creations of man, it's just a matter of which one you want to believe. Once you understand that man created religion, and therefore remove the divine aspect, it's a much weaker argument than hard scientific facts. If you want to keep the divine aspect and say that this is why religion is better, then I will one up you. God wrote my science textbook. He told me in a dream.

^if we're going to make jokes. haha

though i agree that every hole in science shouldnt be filled with religion, who said that if one wants to have faith they cant trust scientific fact? i still want to know when jesus said "that darwin guy is a total liar and probably a satanist."

faith cant be proven, thats sort of the point, but ambiguity is far from absent in scientific theory as well, isnt that also sort of the point of the word theory? i guess what im trying to say is theres a lot of stuff out there that we may never know for sure, but im glad we can discuss this like adults and share ideas instead of acting like children

• Members

jorhay, I found a geology class "Earth History" most enlightening. However, I have also taken loads of philosophy classes. I guess the first one to open my eyes would have been the first one I took, intro to philosophy, because I did a lot of thinking on my own once exposed.

thank you for informing me phil. however, regardless of what the bible says, my statement was meant for the large population of christians who don't question.

Understood. :) I was merely pointing out that, when discussing religion with Christians who "never question what their pastors say", you can point out that even the Bible itself explains the importance of NOT blindly accepting what any person says - even the Apostle Paul - without checking on it yourself.

The second scripture is more tangential, but I personally interpret it to mean that you have to figure it out for yourself, and work it out yourself, as opposed to letting others do it for you.

Your mileage and interpretation may vary. :)

• Members

jorhay, I found a geology class "Earth History" most enlightening. However, I have also taken loads of philosophy classes. I guess the first one to open my eyes would have been the first one I took, intro to philosophy, because I did a lot of thinking on my own once exposed.

cool,

thanks

• Members

onyx, exactly why they are no longer my friends, and never really were. and I use that word loosely. Congratulations, you know how to pick out trivial semantics.

Not semantics, man. I'm trying to establish how much you know about these people, in order for you to make assumptions that they

• Members

ahhh, no. Some other people wrote a book about some jesus guy, who never actually read that book.

haha good catch, my revision:

some jesus guy taught some stuff on questioning your pastors and four other guys wrote down different versions of what he said which may or may not have been geared towards different demographics. said jesus guy never read any of those books. regardless, keep an open mind and ask plenty of questions.

• Members
haha good catch, my revision:

some jesus guy taught some stuff on questioning your pastors and four other guys wrote down different versions of what he said which may or may not have been geared towards different demographics. said jesus guy never read any of those books. regardless, keep an open mind and ask plenty of questions.

:thu:

Archived