can you christians explain something to me?

Double D

• Members
Sure. I could go on...

It makes sense all of the religious sheep are present at the HCFX. All the trend chasing goons clamering for the tim/my, DLS, Spring Chicken, transparnt OD, or whatever flavor of the month is up now, are just like the god folk afraid to think independently and follow the heard.

This forum is full of lemmings.

It's motto should be "Avoid independent thinking"

then why are you here?:idk:

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

even young earth creationsists won't refute that. they have absolutely no problem with observational science. it's the 'historical science' with pre-presuppositions that their disagreement is with. genetics clearly shows that dogs can create dogs with variations, we can even manipulate certain characteristics. this is basic genetics. the jump from that to molecules to man evolution is what is in question.

Good point. For people that disagree, let's speak hypothetically; let's assume that the Universe was created. As far a literal reading of the Genesis account goes, everything was created in medias res, or "in the middle of things". That is, rocks are created as rock, trees as trees, and stars as stars. The fact that they conform to a system of principles, and appear to have a history is not a problem philosophically. It also doesn't mean that certain principles (like a Big Bang or Evolution) are inherently untrue or false. It simply opens the door to the possibility that, though these are sound principles, they did not happen as we think they did.

• Members

provide evidence to support your inclination

I can't, hence why its just a personal theory. I just can't think that there's a hole in the center of the earth that's full of souls. I've never been to the center of the earth so I can't say for sure. I just don't expect it to be true.

• Members

Sure. I could go on...

It makes sense all of the religious sheep are present at the HCFX. All the trend chasing goons clamering for the tim/my, DLS, Spring Chicken, transparnt OD, or whatever flavor of the month is up now, are just like the god folk afraid to think independently and follow the heard.

This forum is full of lemmings.

It's motto should be "Avoid independent thinking"

do you really believe that christianity, especially creationism, is trendy? the flavour of the month?

• Members
Good point. For people that disagree, let's speak hypothetically; let's assume that the Universe was created. As far a literal reading of the Genesis account goes, everything was created
in medias res
, or "in the middle of things". That is, rocks are created as rock, trees as trees, and stars as stars. The fact that they conform to a system of principles, and appear to have a history is not a problem philosophically. It also doesn't mean that certain principles (like a Big Bang or Evolution) are inherently untrue or false. It simply opens the door to the possibility that, though these are sound principles, they did not happen as we think they did.

this is very true, especially considering that the jewish word used in genesis for day was not the usual word for day ("yohm" is used in genesis i think). yohm can be used for day but in a formal sense, like in a historical text written by a philosopher :idea: actually can mean era or age, so genesis in this way of thinking is saying god created existence in seven eras or ages leaving plenty of room for the big bang theory and evolution, neither of which are refuted by the bible in any way

/nerd mode off

• Members
this is very true, especially considering that the jewish word used in genesis for day was not the usual word for day ("yohm" is used in genesis i think). yohm can be used for day but in a formal sense, like in a historical text written by a philosopher
:idea:
actually can mean era or age, so genesis in this way of thinking is saying god created existence in seven eras or ages leaving plenty of room for the big bang theory and evolution, neither of which are refuted by the bible in any way

/nerd mode off

not to mention that a day is the period of time in which the earth makes one rotation. So, how could there be days before there was earth? You might say, well, the amount of time still existed that would become a day. But, time is a property of the travel of light. If there was no light yet then there was no time. But wait, were these modern days, or the days of hundreds of millions of years ago when the earth was rotating faster and thus days were shorter?

• Members

what point? the point that xtians have all kinds of "levels" of acceptable belief? What one group knows is true gets mocked even by other xtians?

do you know any xtians that would argue that a great dane and a chihuahua are not dogs?

• Members

not to mention that a day is the period of time in which the earth makes one rotation. So, how could there be days before there was earth? You might say, well, the amount of time still existed that would become a day. But, time is a property of the travel of light. If there was no light yet then there was no time. But wait, were these modern days, or the days of hundreds of millions of years ago when the earth was rotating faster and thus days were shorter?

it also states that there was light before the sun.

• Members

goodhonk, I never said anything about breeding. It was a population of fish left alone to evolve solely from natural selection.

Oh, and what does this sentence even mean?

"the jump from that to molecules to man evolution is what is in question"

Jump from what? And molecules would have existed as long as matter has existed. Since you cannot create or destroy matter (Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy), then matter must have an infinite existence backwards and forwards in time. Therefore, molecules have always existed. Unless for some reason at some point all that existed were free elements, but this is very unlikely due to the bonding nature of atoms. I know, backwards infinity of time (if you believe in it outside of it's conventional application), matter, and energy is a hard concept to grasp for christians who think everything just "appeared" out of thin air.

So really all that needs explaining to you is the evolution of man. If you believe in evolution then why would you not believe that man could evolve from a monkey? Or even evolve from bacteria if given enough time for natural selection to occur. The fossil record shows 3.5 billion years (first appearance of bacteria) was enough time for that to occur.

• Members

what point? the point that xtians have all kinds of "levels" of acceptable belief? What one group knows is true gets mocked even by other xtians?

p10031.jpg Keep pluckin' away. Christianity, essentially, has one central point. Everything else is, more or less, details. The beauty is we're allowed to disagree and learn from each other. No one has the corner on truth. Evolution, ultimately, is utterly meaningless as far as Christianity is concerned. Same with marriage, birthday parties, abortion, slavery, smoking, telling jokes, or NASCAR. Important issues, but not central to the faith.

• Members

theres also the idea that god is an omniscient life force operating out of a fourth dimension and works completely outside of our third dimensional concept of time, this is all of course speculation with no concrete evidence that i still like to ponder, but i can understand completely how an atheist would think its all bull{censored} :lol: ambiguity remains a large part of christianity and always will be so it really just comes down to whether one has faith in a concept or not and im certainly not going to call anyone out on believing or not believing in one thing or another

and thats my 0.02 cents

Archived