can you christians explain something to me?

Double D

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thankyou sonic you're absolutely right. Carbon dating would not work for something that old, it may well have been K-Ar. For anyone who still thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old, here's a fact to disprove that. Certain radioactive elements have VERY long half-lifes. That means the time it takes for half of the orginal mass to decay. Well, we have found rocks with these elements in them, and based on the amount decayed vs. the amount remaining, we can figure out how many halflifes that element has undergone. Then, we can multiply this by the known halflife of that element, and get the age of that rock, some older than 4 billion years! For the stromatolites in strelly pool, a similar dating process was done, and the age of the rock was found to be 3.5 billion years. Thus, life existed 3.5 billion years ago :thu:.

As for the fish turning into fish comment. The point made is that they evolved. Not how much they evolved. Think about this. If life had 3.5 billion years to evolve, don't you think we'd see some more drastic changes than what happened after 50 years? Do you know how long a billion years is? You cannot grasp, I cannot grasp, that length of time. Certainly if life could evolve in some minute way over 50 years, then it could evolve in a very drastic way over 3.5 billion years. And I don't think evolving from a monkey to a human is very drastic when you consider the morphological and genetic similarities. To really be crazy, we could actually trace our evolution back to that cyanobacteria I was talking about :eek:.

• Members

thankyou sonic you're absolutely right. Carbon dating would not work for something that old, it may well have been K-Ar. For anyone who still thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old, here's a fact to disprove that. Certain radioactive elements have VERY long half-lifes. That means the time it takes for half of the orginal mass to decay. Well, we have found rocks with these elements in them, and based on the amount decayed vs. the amount remaining, we can figure out how many halflifes that element has undergone. Then, we can multiply this by the known halflife of that element, and get the age of that rock, some older than 4 billion years! For the stromatolites in strelly pool, a similar dating process was done, and the age of the rock was found to be 3.5 billion years. Thus, life existed 3.5 billion years ago
:thu:

As for the fish turning into fish comment. The point made is that they evolved. Not how much they evolved. Think about this. If life had 3.5 billion years to evolve, don't you think we'd see some more drastic changes than what happened after 50 years? Do you know how long a billion years is? You cannot grasp, I cannot grasp, that length of time. Certainly if life could evolve in some minute way over 50 years, then it could evolve in a very drastic way over 3.5 billion years. And I don't think evolving from a monkey to a human is very drastic when you consider the morphological and genetic similarities. To really be crazy, we could actually trace our evolution back to that cyanobacteria I was talking about
:eek:

you have more faith than i do. when did breeding and evolving become synonyms?

• Members
The point is foundational: the certainty of science stands upon uncertainty. It's simply the way things are.

:facepalm:

Seriously. Someone defending religion is going to talk about something standing upon uncertainty??? So faith is suddenly more certain than the laws of nature?

Cmon dude. You're digging deeper and deeper.

• Members
I love science too, we just need to be careful what we hold dearly... new information could mean your world view becomes outdated... and then what do you have?

Yeah, you're right. We're much better off believing something that is based on faith and no actual proof. :facepalm:

/sarcasm off

• Members
Yeah, you're right. We're much better off believing something that is based on faith and no actual proof.
:facepalm:

/sarcasm off

we're much better off being open to posibilities, which is why we should all be agnostics.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates (he was a smart dude, for someone who knew nothing anyway)

• Members

Seriously. Someone defending religion is going to talk about something standing upon uncertainty??? So
faith
is suddenly more certain than the laws of nature?

I didn't say it was more certain. My point is that we're not so different.

• Members

The point being made was that the proof is transient.

Because I have never met any of you I cannot prove that any of you exist, therefore you do not, but someday I might meet you and then you will, unless you can prove that I don't exist in which case nobody exists because I won't be there to prove that you exist which means you can't prove that I do or do not exist...

• Members

religious hcaf'er: YOU'RE SUCH A DICK YOU'LL NEVER DISPROVE BELIEFS THAT I HAVE CREATED LOGICAL LOOPHOLES TO PROTECT!

athiest hcaf'er: YOU'RE CLEARLY DUMB AND DON'T UNDERSTAND EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE

religious hcaf'er: OH NO I'M SUPER INTELLIGENT LOOK AT ALL OF THESE FACTOIDS I'VE ALIGNED MY BELIEFS WITH BECAUSE IT MAKES ME LOOK SMART ON THE INTERNET!

athiest hcaf'er: NO YOU'RE DUMB AND I'M SMART BECAUSE I HAVE A SIMILARLY CLOSED MINDED VIEW OF SPIRITUALITY!

• Members

Because I have never met any of you I cannot prove that any of you exist, therefore you do not, but someday I might meet you and then you will, unless you can prove that I don't exist in which case nobody exists because I won't be there to prove that you exist which means you can't prove that I do or do not exist...

LOL!

Yes. In the strictest sense; but that doesn't work practically. So we choose to accept what seems reasonable.

Science is based on reasonable assumptions. This is not a problem. My only point has ever really been that this is in fact the case, and is

• Members

can you atheists explain something to me?

why is it so hard for you to find the Political forum and post your "everyone who believes something different from me is an idiot" attack threads there?

Can all of you god boy nut bags cut out all the what did you play at church, christian crap that constantly infects this forum. It's always the religious freaks who cry about the ability to express their beliefs but the moment an atheist or the like expresses a challenging view the zealots get their undies in a bundle and cry fowl. As long as your free to post your Jesus crap I'm free to knock it.

• Members
LOL!

Yes. In the strictest sense; but that doesn't work practically. So we choose to accept
what seems reasonable

Science is based on reasonable assumptions. This is not a problem. My only point has ever really been that this is in fact the case, and is

• Members

Can all of you god boy nut bags cut out all the what did you play at church, christian crap that constantly infects this forum. It's always the religious freaks who cry about the ability to express their beliefs but the moment an atheist or the like expresses a challenging view the zealots get their undies in a bundle and cry fowl. As long as your free to post your Jesus crap I'm free to knock it.

do you have any more insults to back up your point?

Archived