Line 6 M9?

kriista

• Members

I got one today and I'm gonna flip it, already have a buyer I hope.

Its a great pedal with a {censored} ton of sounds but a lot of the sounds are thin IMO. I bought the M9 with the intention of possibly replacing some pedals like my TR-2, DD-3 and DE-7, but each of those pedals sound better than what the M9 has, maybe not the DD-3, though it is the MIJ one so its kinda warm. I just thought the sounds lacked some "ummfff", though I have had the DL-4 and MM-4 so I should have known what to expect.

Anyone done an A/B comparison with the DL-4 and M9?

However my Hog sounded awesome going into the rotary-speaker setting. The pattern trem is cool and I love the looper a lot but its too much pedal for me, I've been trying to simplify my setup and since it doesn't seem like the M9 would replace any of the pedals I thought it would, my board would be overflowing.

All in all its a sweet pedal with a lot of options, a total workhorse but not for me.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got my M9 to oscillate, yay. :D

wGKKul_saps

I had the EHX Soul Preacher before it essentially feeding white noise into the M9 and on the M9 I had the Boost Comp with these settings:

soulpreacherset-1.jpg

compsettings.jpg

After the comp boost I had the Synth-o-matic and the Pattern Trem models. Later on the video I change the PT to the Analog Flanger model.

After the M9 I had a Boss HM-2 but that isn't necessary for oscillation, obviously, but it makes it wilder/louder.

• Members

Its a great pedal with a {censored} ton of sounds but a lot of the sounds are thin IMO. I bought the M9 with the intention of possibly replacing some pedals like my TR-2, DD-3 and DE-7, but each of those pedals sound better than what the M9 has, maybe not the DD-3, though it is the MIJ one so its kinda warm. I just thought the sounds lacked some "ummfff", though I have had the DL-4 and MM-4 so I should have known what to expect.

However my Hog sounded awesome going into the rotary-speaker setting. The pattern trem is cool and I love the looper a lot but its too much pedal for me, I've been trying to simplify my setup and since it doesn't seem like the M9 would replace any of the pedals I thought it would, my board would be overflowing.

All in all its a sweet pedal with a lot of options, a total workhorse but not for me.

nice review.

I haven't heard any clips that really wow'd me. But the tonal possibilites are intriguing. I think i will give it a test run.

• Members

I returned mine, I couldn't get it to work right in stereo, some malfunction. Otherwise I would have kept it.

I've got to say Sam Ash were great, they gave me back all my money, in cash at eleven in the morning, no questions asked.

• Members

Yeah, I had mine for about a day also. I agree about the sounds being kind of thin. I'm sure I could spend all day tweaking it and matching it to my pedals and getting better sounds, but what's the point?

Some of the distortions were pretty nice, but what I was hearing on all of them including the compressors, were these digital artifacts/sputtering out as the note faded out to nothing. It seemed like a really obvious thing to not have in a digital box, but it was there.

The delays were fine but it was such a pain messing with the levels trying to make my original tone and the echo be heard at the same time, it's so easy to overshoot as the range on the knobs is a little sensitive.

Also I found it hard to tweak stuff because of the orientation of the display.

Overall it's a fun pedal, I think my major peeve is that I'm not a multieffects person, and I couldn't get too excited when I already have pedals for all the things I need from it.

• Members

this.

But granted, Nick....we did give it more than 24 hours unlike some of the others

I'm just trying out - I didn't commit my everlasting soul to the damn thing!

I'm not saying it's not great. But I am a compulsive flipper also, and if I don't fall in love immediately I know there's no chance for me to keep it long term, and I don't waste time trying (especially when I have a limited time to return it).

• Members

Yes. Everything from clean boosts/EQs to low & mid gain & even some pretty wild fuzz tones is there + the ability to tweak beyond the normal parameters for your 'old faithfuls' and get more/less than you could in real life. I'm not selling any dirt pedals b/c of it, but I might take them out less often. . .

The dirt sounds in the M9 got a big thumbs down in the current issue of Guitar Player.

• Members

mine will be here TOMORROW :love::love::love:

i have high hopes for this one, and plan on using it EXTENSIVELY on my next stargarden album, which will be the first time i do a guitar-based ambient record.

and maybe get that BTBAM to record some tracks with me, as well as newarkwilder!

• Members
Yeah.... on their own, most of them aren't anything to write home about.

In fact, of the 15 distortion models on the M9, I've found consistent use for 2 of them -- the Tube Drive and Overdrive, which are actually pretty damn good IMO... for being
models.

From there, the Facial Fuzz is decent... BTBAM likes it more than I do. And with some pretty intensive tweaking, both the Classic & Heavy Distortion models are actually kinda okay.

All that said, I recently explored the Big Muff model and after spending more time that I'd like to admit tweaking a post-dirt EQ, I was actually able to do something with that. So, I'm thinking that if you really spent some time sculpting with one of the
many
EQ options on the M9, some of the dirt might actually sound pretty okay. I mean, I was
completely
turned off by the BMP model initially.... but after I'd spent some time with it, I had it sounding really really close to my favorite fuzz pedal on the planet. Pretty cool for a modeler.

Oh, and the Tubescreamer
sounds
like a Tubescreamer to me.... I just don't like that sound all that much. So, that may be another one that some of you would like.
:idk:

Haven't tried it, honestly. I'll look into it a bit tomorrow if I have a few minutes.

I thought the tube driver sounded pretty darn good. I also liked the octave fuzz, it had some of that authentic unpredictable fuzz pedal feel that some of the other fuzz pedals lacked.

• Members

The gate isn't bad at all. It cuts off more noise from the DM4 models than it does separate drive pedals, but it works pretty good overall. You can set the decay so it won't cut off too abruptly.

It's possible to put it first instead of last, right? That's nice that you can set the decay. I have {censored}ty electrical problems in my house and even though my amp doesn't pick up noise, my pickups do.

• Members

this.

But granted, Nick....we did give it more than 24 hours unlike some of the others

I played mine a lot the day I got it as well as using it a lot today. As I said in my other post, I think its a cool pedal with a lot of options but its not good enough IMO to put my other pedals out of business - what I was kind of anticipating since I don't have, nor want, to spend tons of money on effects/ have too many of them, though I have like 13 now heh, its not worth it to me to keep the m9 plus the other pedals I have, too much for my plate.

Anyways, I messed with it a lot, tweaked, found good sounds but they weren't better than what my other pedals could do.

• Members

FWIW, some of the dirt models actually work like REAL dirt pedals = they aren't good sounding in all situations! Models like the Colordriver & Jumbo Fuzz are fantastic into an amp thats already being pushed hard, but they sound kind of 'meh' at low volumes. . .The octave down fuzz is freakin' AWESOME!!!

Another band practice with the M9 as my primary every-thing pedal, but I did take a DLS & Pig Mine for the heck of it. Still ended up on the M9's dirt about 50% of the time. My band is pretty straight garage so I use a lot of fuzz & distortion, some 'verb and then a few effects like flange here & there for novelty. I will say, with all the animosity towards digital/modeling, I get a REAL kick out of my rig right now:

Duo Sonic -> Skreddy Pig Mine -> M9 -> JC120

Its the combination of a pre-CBS Fender & highly sought after Skreddy + the MultiFX & SS amp that really helps me channel all my essential mojo-tonez.

:facepalm:

• Members

Thanks.

Okay, keep in mind that I've never used a dedicated gate before, but I fooled around with it for a few minutes this morning:

I used my SG Jr, which is a pretty noisy guitar, and ran the setting I used for my M9 vs. Mesa setting into the Mesa. Feedback city w/out a gate.

I didn't mess with the decay much, but as far as the gate control itself, by the time I got up to about 40% I had the feedback under control without any really noticeable tone loss. @ 50-60% I really felt like it was doing its job.

Up around 90-100% though, there was significant tone alteration as would, I assume, be expected.

Overall, pretty good. I was impressed. I might actually have to start using that w/ the SG.

Archived