The Fuzz Face is almost as frustrating as the Big Muff

Cirrus

• Members

But for totally different reasons.

Big muffs always sound wank to me, as I recently deigned to tell this forum, I just can't get them to work.

Fuzz Faces, on the other hand... I was playing round with the one in my band's lockup last night and through the strat and a nice long cable it sounds AMAZING. Slap a bit of delay on there and play some lead work from Floyd's Echoes or DSOTM and THAT'S THE TONE! Love it.

Try and do the same thing with my wireless system though, and it's squealing, shrill, doesn't clean up right... it's basically useless. And equally useless with my explorer - just mushy, indistinct noise.

And it's huge, round, only takes batteries, and has no LED. I know it's an old design but all these reasons basically mean it'll never be useful on my live board, which is a shame because I do love the sound when it's set up right.

• Members

I'll defo have this one to hand for recording. I don't know if I could ditch the wireless though. It's not even so I can go run around in the crowd, it's just... so liberating. And reduces the chance of fatal electric shocks in some of the shocking venues we've graced.

But yeah. Cranked up both knobs, into the AC50 + 4x12 set loud and clean, closed my eyes and pretended I was in Pompeii.

• Members

or just rehouse your FF with an LED and true bypass and into a nice small enclosure
:idk:
what are those things like inside?? is this even possible?

Actually I think he is right, a 9 volt adapter plug can be added, an led can be added, true bypass (might need a new switch for the LED even if it is already TB). I don't know about the negative ground factor some people talk about though, watch out for that with an adaptor.

• Members

But for totally different reasons.

Big muffs always sound wank to me, as I recently deigned to tell this forum, I just can't get them to work.

Fuzz Faces, on the other hand... I was playing round with the one in my band's lockup last night and through the strat and a nice long cable it sounds AMAZING. Slap a bit of delay on there and play some lead work from Floyd's Echoes or DSOTM and THAT'S THE TONE! Love it.

Try and do the same thing with my wireless system though, and it's squealing, shrill, doesn't clean up right... it's basically useless. And equally useless with my explorer - just mushy, indistinct noise.

And it's huge, round, only takes batteries, and has no LED. I know it's an old design but all these reasons basically mean it'll never be useful on my live board, which is a shame because I do love the sound when it's set up right.

Problem solved:

[video=youtube;XzouRrr4Vlw]

Archived