I had an epiphany last night...

mhuxtable

• Members

I don't think the two things are mutually exclusive. There's some gear obsessed musicians who write incredible music. When I'm not making music I am thinking about guitars or whatever though. Nothing wrong with being passionate about your instrument.

And for me, the guitars/amps/pedals or whatever is part and parcel of playing and being in love with the instrument. I can't separate the two. So some people aren't interested in gear, you are. No harm done. If you feel you're not giving the best you can give musicality, put more work in. It's not like you can be working on your band 24 hours a day.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Plus, do you really want to become a vagabond gear ignorant hipster? :D

Sure that lifestyle seems cool, and I'm sure being poor and artistic has it's benefits.........it's probably even more attractive to someone that have "given up the dream" someone with a wife, kids, house, decent job.....etc...

On top of that, I've never wanted to be a barista. :o

• Members

Not that they were smelly hippies.....you could just tell they're incredibly talented and creative....excellent song crafters.

Their recordings are really good, but don't do their live show justice....live they are just massive and engulfing.

It was just a wake up call that I need to start writing more music and just experiment more.

This is them:

http://janejanepollock.bandcamp.com/album/jane-jane-pollock

• Members

Anyways, we were talking & one of the members was talking about this pedal he found....it would take your note and repeat it and it would get quieter as it repeated...and it had a tap tempo that you could keep it in time! AND it had some kind of looper on it....he was amazed by this....

So your incredibly creative friend was trying to share HIS epihpany about effects with you, and instead of realizing how fortunate you are to already know so much about effects, you instead [get] the OPPOSITE message out of his epiphany. :/ Way to go.

EDIT: changed "that" to "get"

• Members

we played a show last night with one of the most amazing live bands I've ever seen (called Jane Jane Pollock).

We were all talking backstage, being friendly, etc...I could tell these people were incredibly creative & lived an artistic lifestyle...they paint, they play music, they make art, do crafts, etc.

Anyways, we were talking & one of the members was talking about this pedal he found....it would take your note and repeat it and it would get quieter as it repeated...and it had a tap tempo that you could keep it in time! AND it had some kind of looper on it....he was amazed by this....

a {censored}ing delay pedal.

it made me realize, i spend so much time on this damn forum (which is a wealth of knowledge and lulz) that i'm not making music as much as i should or being as creative as i should. this band had one of the most complex & interesting sounds i've heard in a LONG time...their live show was energetic, creative...just incredible....
they concerned themselves with writing & performing music, not every piece of gear they could find.

lesson learned: i spend too much time online & not enough playing music.....that has to change.

{censored} yeah brosephina. i feel the same way. i come here to be an asshole and wear shorts. and i'm all outta shorts.

• Members

So your incredibly creative friend was trying to share HIS epihpany about effects with you, and instead of realizing how fortunate you are to already know so much about effects, you instead that the OPPOSITE message out of his epiphany. :/ Way to go.

well that is one way of looking at it...and we talked about that stuff a bit...they said my pedal board & moogerfoogers looked fun & the sounds were awesome.

but the point is...this guy didn't know jack {censored} about pedals, effects, whatever....but their sound was incredible...the sounds they made were awe inspiring....just made me realize that chasing "that sound" has jack {censored} to do with making great music....the strat they played was some Lotus brand....but their music was beyond amazing.

• Members

Hux, go to art school, fall in love with a bisexual chick that plays clarinet. She'll have friends, they'll have drugs. You'll form a band with them. You'll question your sexuality. The girl will dump you for the bisexual bassist. The band will break up. You'll be back here. :lol:

• Members

Hux, go to art school, fall in love with a bisexual chick that plays clarinet. She'll have friends, they'll have drugs. You'll form a band with them. You'll question your sexuality. The girl will dump you for the bisexual bassist. The band will break up. You'll be back here.
:lol:

inevitably this.

• Members

1. Yep - all of us internet gear nerds are definitely a different breed. All of my musician friends {censored} their pants when they see my board because it's so far removed from what most musicians choose to use. One of my best friends (who I was in a {censored}ty high school band with) has always been semi into effects because I had some effects. He has a few pedals (DE7, Small Stone, and a TW Muff) and plays through a Marshall MG 30 and has {censored}ing amazing tone. He has this awesome dirty clean that he boosts with the muff and it sounds great - because he focuses more on using what he has instead of buying a {censored} load of new toys to chase the same tone. In my mind I'm probably still a better guitar player and have better tone, but he is a much better musician than I am. It's just different means to the same end.

2. Holy {censored}, when did Raleigh get so hipstery?

• Members

I think you just need to flip the script. Go to Art school and wear golf shirts and khaki's. blue tooth earpiece is optional. then paint the most out-there {censored} ever. they will all wonder how this dude just schooled them and have an epiphany that they should spend less time worrying about being a hipster and focus more on their art skrillz.

Archived