Best moderately priced Tele pickups?

woolyh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm using Fender SCN's, which Bill Lawrence also designed. Haters gonna hate, but I really like the sound of them, and they're noiseless, which is a big plus when recording.

I have a CS Strat I ordered with a whole bunch of odd stuff including the noiseless and the clapton boost and i really really like them as well.

• Members

I'll repeat the recommendation of the Bill Lawrence Keystones:
http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Keystones.html

Over at TDPRI (those guys know all there is know about Teles), these pickups are highly regarded.

This. I've got Keystones in my CIJ Tele. Definitely an improvement over the stock pickups. They just sound... better :idk:

IMO they're a no-brainer- handwound pickups from the guy who wrote the book on aftermarket pickups at chinese sweatshop prices.

• Members

tele purists would scoff at the idea but i love the seymour duncan lil 59 in the bridge of my tele. havent found a neck pup i like, though.

I put a set in my old telecaster and just hated its sound. Not humbuckers, not single coil, not p90. NOTHING, JUST NOTHING!

• Members

Is that your guitar in the avatar? Like to mod mine and that looks pretty modded.

Yes, yes it is. PM me if you want to brainstorm. I mod my guitars all the time. It's actually what got me into pedal building. I sort of apply a lot of the switching and signal routing knowhow I acquired from that to pedals now as well.

Of course I still mod guitars. I just modded the crap out of my silver strat again tonight, actually. I think I need to tweak the frequency cutoff but it has a kill switch style "wah" switch now. Rolls off high end only when your finger is on it.

• Members

I put a set in my old telecaster and just hated its sound. Not humbuckers, not single coil, not p90. NOTHING, JUST NOTHING!

yeah, sounds kinda humbuckerish but your tele still sounds like a tele. i enjoy it could see how some may not. they arent squealy and thin sounding enough for some people. thats fine.

• Members

Interesting. I was gonna put in a vote for the Tonerider Hot Classics, which I've been digging, especially considering the price. How do the Keystones differ?

I am not great at describing how (the highs are so high and the lows are so low - {censored} I don't know? LOL). The Keystones are more Tele traditional sounding and sound great clean. They also sound good through an overdriven amp. I built a Tweed 5F1 amp and when I plugged a humbucker guitar into it I thought it sounded like {censored}. When I plugged my Keystone loaded MIM Tele in I now "get it." Tele through cranked tweed with no pedals is the sound you strive to attain.

The Keystones are very quiet for SC's and they sound REALLY good for a great price. He could probably sell them for twice the price and still sell boatloads. That's not to take away from the Toneriders I just like the Keystones better.

• Members

I'm no expert on the subect, I've owned maybe 7 or 8 different teles, and I always just stuck with the stock pickups...

So maybe another good and affordable option would be to just look for someone who's replacing the stock pickups of his Fender AVR '52 tele...

They might not be fancy handwound custom shop or whatever, but they still get the job done, and probably cheapish too if you take your time to browse ebay/CL...

• Members

The CS Nocasters are fantastic pickups. Mine are really quiet on top of sounding great. It kind of makes me want to look into strat pickups with alnico III magnets. Also might have to check out the CS 69s, the SCNs I recently put in my strat aren't quite doing it for me.

• Members

The Texas specials that came stock in my American Special tele are pretty sweet. The bridge is LP-ish enough for me, and the neck is stratty enough to work in lieu of my strat when I'm feeling fancy. The in between sound is fantastic.

It's the the first tele I've held on to, I usually get fed up with low output neck pickups and flip it.

• Members

The Texas specials that came stock in my American Special tele are pretty sweet. The bridge is LP-ish enough for me, and the neck is stratty enough to work in lieu of my strat when I'm feeling fancy. The in between sound is fantastic.

It's the the first tele I've held on to, I usually get fed up with low output neck pickups and flip it.

I loved my old American Special (sold it a while back), such great guitars and I really liked the pickups, I might replace the Keystones in my Tele with the Texas Specials.

edit: after playing with the Tele for a bit I think the only prudent move would be to buy a second Tele. Then possibly a third ('72 Deluxe perhaps).

• Members

Anyone use the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickups? I know the new 2012 American standards come with Broadcaster pickups stock, hmmm...

Pretty cheap on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEYMOUR-DUNCAN-VINTAGE-BROADCASTER-STL-1B-for-TELECASTER-BRIDGE-GUITAR-PICKUP-/221058230020?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item337818e704

My main worry is about them being too thin and weak sounding...

• Members

Anyone use the Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickups? I know the new 2012 American standards come with Broadcaster pickups stock, hmmm...

Pretty cheap on ebay:

My main worry is about them being too thin and weak sounding...

The Duncan Broadcaster pick ups are GREAT !

I nearly bought them, but got a fantastic deal on the BK Flatt 50's (their version of the very 1st Fender Braodcaster tone). If it was not for those, i would have deff gone w the Duncan units

Archived