I see more and more bands asking for money on Kickstarter

Naterel

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't see the problem with bands raising money through kickstarter to put out an album. labels and bands do preorders all the time, preorder the record months in advance, get it some time in the future. this is the same {censored}, but bands can offer other packages and people can kick in more money than needed if they want.

if it was someone wanting to get money to buy gear and start from scratch, {censored} that. that's like those "artists" saying "I need $50k so I can document my web trolling on my blog full time!" (really. I've seen it). but for an established band without a label, what's wrong with doing preorders for albums and shows like this?

If I were going to do a Kickstarter, this is how I would do it. Seems less douchebaggish that way.

• Members

kinda confused about the Morality of this, especially in this country where basicially art has been funded either by Benefactors or self-sufficiency or by Meritocracy and not by the State i.e. Europe and Canada. secondly. let's face it. white people like to donate money and be charitable to feel good about themselves. i have never donated to any Kickstarter or crowdfunded entity simply becuz i am poor and cannot afford to do so, although i doubt i would even if i were able to do.

• Members

One of the bands Im working with are interested in pressing one of our albums on vinyl for the fans. We aren't sure if we would have enough people who would want it on vinyl.. so we thought about starting a kickstarter just for the cost of putting our album on vinyl and what not. Our music is all free digitally online.

I dunno.. makes sense to me. Make the donation just the cost of a single vinyl.. anyone who donates gets one.

Am I missing something?

• Members

One of the bands Im working with are interested in pressing one of our albums on vinyl for the fans. We aren't sure if we would have enough people who would want it on vinyl.. so we thought about starting a kickstarter just for the cost of putting our album on vinyl and what not. Our music is all free digitally online.

I dunno.. makes sense to me. Make the donation just the cost of
a single vinyl
.. anyone who donates gets one.

Am I missing something?

Ugh. A single record, please.

• Members

Well done. I'd be interested to know what sort of places you play, how many people you bring and how much you get paid. And I guess what blend of music you're playing.

Well, to answer your question, we don't try to bring many people, of course we tell friends about the shows but I don't try to 'rally the troops' and pressure my friends into it. We play shows put on by people in the scene who are good at their job, know all the bands and people into that kind of music, actively promote the gigs all over the place etc...that way we don't get ripped off, there's usually a good crowd, the shows are well promoted etc. etc.

We get around

• Members

but if you haven't recorded a simple demo and generated any fan following and revenue from that, then why worry about getting professionals to record your music? It seems like alot of bands put the cart before the horse. You don't really need to do a pro recording right off the bat, and with the tools these days, you can get alot closer to a pro recording by yourself in a basement with just some cheap gear and a laptop than you could in the past.

and having a basement recording with an mp3-player or what ever handheld recorder or a video from a mobile cam etc. is a complete different thing than doing track by track recording and mixing etc....

i'm a DIY recorder myself, i'm willing to spent time on it, but its a hard long road, especially with fulltime job, wife and kid. but i wanted to play guitar and guitar only in the first place and making music as a band. now i have more or less the full recording/mixing duty with my limited time frame.

i can see why musicians don't want to become recording and mixing engineers and want to pay people to this work for them.
if everybody of them is worth to support on kickstarter is a different story :D

• Members

As for kickstarter, I think it's OK once you have an established fan base and you really can't afford to finance a project or haven't got the financial backing of a label. If there's the demand for it, that is. As for underground/unsigned/unknown/unliked bands requesting thousands from people who have no relation to them through the internet, who have never seen the band and are just doing it through charity, or begging for it from their friends, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Cajoling people into giving them THOUSANDS is just lame. Hey, you don't know my band, we've got 3 demos up online, but can you give me money to record more music?

I think in the beginning you should pay your dues, put the work in, play shows, build it up and pay for your recording yourself. Many bands I know have recorded and produced amazing results on a shoestring.

• Members

but if you haven't recorded a simple demo and generated any fan following and revenue from that, then why worry about getting professionals to record your music? It seems like alot of bands put the cart before the horse. You don't really need to do a pro recording right off the bat, and with the tools these days, you can get alot closer to a pro recording by yourself in a basement with just some cheap gear and a laptop than you could in the past.

I see your point, and it's not a bad one.

I think that my own outlook on it is that a lot of bands start out and right from day one are standing on the metaphorical rooftops shouting "LOOK AT US! WE ARE THE BEST!" even when they're still at the developmental stage. And the whole enterprise is about getting people excited about the concept of the band. And for that, you just want to have something out there for people to listen to.

I prefer to put the cart before the horse. I think a band should be about their output - that's the important thing. So I'll always want to put out the absolute best quality work I can - the best songwriting, playing, recording, overall production that I can afford. Then I've got something I can be very proud of, and the focus is then standing on a metaphorical rooftop shouting "LOOK AT OUR MUSIC! IT IS THE BEST! WE'RE A BUNCH OF NOBODIES WHO ARE UGLY AND SMELL BAD BUT LISTEN TO THE MUSIC!".

At the end of the day I think that's the only way the musical arts will survive, at any level - from basement bands to international touring acts. It's not about some cult of a group personality, it's about good music, which just happens to have been written by one band or another. It's about what you make, not that you happen to be making it. That's what I think will excite people into not forgetting about popular music as a viable art form.

At some level, it feels like in a lot of the unsigned scene there's this feeling in bands and supporters that the supporters are doing the band a favour by going to their little gigs in {censored}ty places not many people actually want to be, Buying a questionable quality T-shirt that has a name no one else will recognise on it, paying for a CD that was recorded poorly with no particular art or skill. It should be that bands are aiming to make something so bullet-proof and iron clad in brilliance that the band and fans feel like someone's done them a favour by giving them a chance to hear something so amazing. And for all the advances in home recording and self-production, it takes a certain skill and experience level to pull that off.

(this is my ideal, you understand... I'm not saying I've achieved this haha!)

• Members

I see your point, and it's not a bad one.

I think that my own outlook on it is that a lot of bands start out and right from day one are standing on the metaphorical rooftops shouting "LOOK AT US! WE ARE THE BEST!" even when they're still at the developmental stage. And the whole enterprise is about getting people excited about the concept of the band. And for that, you just want to have
something
out there for people to listen to.

I prefer to put the cart before the horse. I think a band should be about their output - that's the important thing. So I'll always want to put out the absolute best quality work I can - the best songwriting, playing, recording, overall production that I can afford. Then I've got something I can be very proud of, and the focus is then standing on a metaphorical rooftop shouting "LOOK AT OUR MUSIC! IT IS THE BEST! WE'RE A BUNCH OF NOBODIES WHO ARE UGLY AND SMELL BAD BUT LISTEN TO THE MUSIC!".

At the end of the day I think that's the only way the musical arts will survive, at any level - from basement bands to international touring acts. It's not about some cult of a group personality, it's about good music, which just happens to have been written by one band or another. It's about what you make, not that you happen to be making it. That's what I think will excite people into not forgetting about popular music as a viable art form.

At some level, it feels like in a lot of the unsigned scene there's this feeling in bands and supporters that the supporters are doing the band a favour by going to their little gigs in {censored}ty places not many people actually want to be, Buying a questionable quality T-shirt that has a name no one else will recognise on it, paying for a CD that was recorded poorly with no particular art or skill. It should be that bands are aiming to make something so bullet-proof and iron clad in brilliance that the band and fans feel like someone's done them a favour by giving them a chance to hear something so amazing. And for all the advances in home recording and self-production, it takes a certain skill and experience level to pull that off.

(this is my ideal, you understand... I'm not saying I've achieved this haha!)

I'm not sure how your point conflicts with mine. No one has a problem with a band using pro studios to record their music when they can afford it. What is ridiculous are bands/artists who act like they need this stuff before they have any kind of following, before they've gotten any sort of audience. If you need thousands of dollars of investment and pros to polish your {censored} before you can actually let anyone hear it and judge if it's anything interesting, then it's probably not worth the effort anyway.

Archived