Alt. Country

TravvyBear

• Members

This thread is huge!

Alt Country to me, is a connection to the older classic country, bypassing the " Big Country" era of Garth Brooks, etc. For me this is Lucinda Williams, Jayhawks, Son Volt, Guster ( though they definately lean pop now), etc. In the past two weeks, I have been back listening to old Johnny Cash ( Folsum) ..He was the real deal. I know the level of musicianship is off he charts in the new mainstream country, but there is a lot of grit missing...

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by deanmass

View Post

This thread is huge!

Alt Country to me, is a connection to the older classic country, bypassing the " Big Country" era of Garth Brooks, etc. For me this is Lucinda Williams, Jayhawks, Son Volt, Guster ( though they definately lean pop now), etc. In the past two weeks, I have been back listening to old Johnny Cash ( Folsum) ..He was the real deal. I know the level of musicianship is off he charts in the new mainstream country, but there is a lot of grit missing...

Alt country draws on stuff that's pre-Alabama, Ronnie Millsap, Oak Ridge Boys, etc. The aforementioned crud that made Garth Brooks possible.

• Members

View Post

This thread is huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

Alt country draws on stuff that's pre-Alabama, Ronnie Millsap, Oak Ridge Boys, etc. The aforementioned crud that made Garth Brooks possible.

Nothing wrong with Alabama, George Jones, Georgie Strait, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, etc . . . Those guys' sound was a natural progression of modern country at the time. They all wrote alot of really great songs, and are infinitely more "country" than anyone in Nashville today.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34

View Post

Nothing wrong with Alabama, George Jones, Georgie Strait, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, etc . . . Those guys' sound was a natural progression of modern country at the time. They all wrote alot of really great songs, and are infinitely more "country" than anyone in Nashville today.

George Jones doesn't deserve to be lobbed in with the rest of those acts.

Country (of the Nashville type anyway) from the mid '70s forward has been pretty fricking horrible. It took people like Willie and Guy Clark and Dwight Yoakum and Steve Earle to keep it from going completely into the ditch during the '80s.

Like most music, if you stay out of the mainstream you'll find really great stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

Country (of the Nashville type anyway) from the mid '70s forward has been pretty fricking horrible.

The difference between Opry and Opryland.

The one nice thing you can say about Opryland is that there's a Gibson store within walking distance.

• Members

View Post

This thread is huge!

View Post

View Post

George Jones doesn't deserve to be lobbed in with the rest of those acts.

Country (of the Nashville type anyway) from the mid '70s forward has been pretty fricking horrible. It took people like Willie and Guy Clark and Dwight Yoakum and Steve Earle to keep it from going completely into the ditch during the '80s.

Like most music, if you stay out of the mainstream you'll find really great stuff.

Probably no point in getting into this argument, but Willie and Dwight eventually broke it big and became "mainstream" in terms of success. In a further pointless argument, Elvis, the Beatles and Nirvana weren't "mainstream" at one point early in their careers.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34

View Post

Probably no point in getting into this argument, but Willie and Dwight eventually broke it big and became "mainstream" in terms of success. In a further pointless argument, Elvis, the Beatles and Nirvana weren't "mainstream" at one point early in their careers.

The difference being that they really didn't change their approaches to making their music even though they became more famous - the public came around to their individual styles, not the other way round. Willie was gonna sound like Willie no matter who showed up to the gigs or which label he was on. The minute he left Nashville for Austin and followed his own voice is when he got noticed for being something special.

I love good country music - it's just not played on the radio very much if at all. You have to go look for it. I'm not a purist about it, but I do care about the quality of the stuff I listen to - the musicality, lyrical content, honesty. I know that's a highly subjective thing and what I deem of quality is likely very different than what you'd offer up. I'm cool with that.

• Members

View Post

The difference being that they really didn't change their approaches to making their music even though they became more famous - the public came around to their individual styles, not the other way round. Willie was gonna sound like Willie no matter who showed up to the gigs or which label he was on. The minute he left Nashville for Austin and followed his own voice is when he got noticed for being something special.

I love good country music - it's just not played on the radio very much if at all. You have to go look for it. I'm not a purist about it, but I do care about the quality of the stuff I listen to - the musicality, lyrical content, honesty. I know that's a highly subjective thing and what I deem of quality is likely very different than what you'd offer up. I'm cool with that.

I absolutely agree that good country music is not played on the radio, unless you have Sirius. The Outlaw channel and some of the others play the good old stuff.

It sounds like we have, at least in country, some of the same tastes. I just happen to like the token Garth Brooks and Alabama songs, along with most everything Alan Jackson did in addition to Merle, Waylon, Johnny, etc . . . I consider myself an old soul musically. I was raised on the oldies. I'll be 26 on the 18th, but by far my favorite music is from the 60's and 70's. They just don't make music like they used to, IMHO.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFFTA

View Post

I blame the Eagles for the slide into commercial country schlock

They proved that you could become fabulously wealthy playing music that's 10% Gram Parsons and 90% America. So I guess you could blame them.

Most of big name country these days sounds like a 50% Eagles/50% Def Leppard mix.

• Members

This thread is very relevant to my interests.

Completely agree with Erksin's posts above.

I think it was Lambchop's Kurt Wagner that said he doesn't know what "alternative" country means, because you don't need an alternative to something that's good.

Also: does anyone know the band Sackville? William Elliott Whitmore?

• Members

View Post

They proved that you could become fabulously wealthy playing music that's 10% Gram Parsons and 90% total and utter {censored}. So I guess you could blame them.

Most of big name country these days sounds like a 50% Eagles/50% Def Leppard mix.

Fix'd

Archived