Alt. Country

TravvyBear

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This song has already been posted, but I just came across this version that I had never seen before, and it's possibly my favorite version after a few listens. Mick's solo is incredible, and the original was already one of my favorites.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MojoZilla

View Post

When someone says "Alt Country", I think of these guys...

They certainly headed in that direction Gentleman's Blues and onward. I'm a big, big fan, but for some reason, I don't really look at them that way, even though I guess they fit under the umbrella.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim

View Post

Dont know if its been posted, but I recently got turned on the this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDsOxBNIVrE

drive by truckers were a kick ass band. not super crazy about his solo efforts but they had some solid albums. i particularly dug it when they were doing the 3 guitar cranked as {censored} les pauls thing.

*edit this song {censored}ing rules though

• 3 months later...
  • Members

To me, Alt Country is what " classic" country was. When Garth hit, Country split into " Big Country" and "other Country". I grew up hearing Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, etc. I love hard rock...but stuff like Son Volt, Guster, Lucinda Williams, Wilco, etc connect me to deep musical roots. This is great, great music. I am not sure who else was mentioned. Serena Ryder, The Civil Wars, so much good stuff. Too bad radio misses most of it most times.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34

View Post

{censored}, I want a jazzmaster.

I think the same thing whenever I watch those videos. That's an amazing tone Buckner has going, one of my favorites. I've posted that video of Ocean Cliff Clearing a few times; the studio version is okay okay, but that performance is god damned amazing.

Also, I very much agree with the position that alt country is the progression of what country music used to be, occasionally mixed with other styles of good music. It always surprised me how different the stuff they play on country radio sounds from actual country music, both in tone and in content. I don't remember Hank Williams singing upbeat songs about pickup trucks or being a redneck. He sang about drinking, being lonely, and women leaving him - that's what country is, dammit, and alt country keeps that alive.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Folky_Grunge

View Post

I think the same thing whenever I watch those videos. That's an amazing tone Buckner has going, one of my favorites. I've posted that video of Ocean Cliff Clearing a few times; the studio version is okay okay, but that performance is god damned amazing.

Also, I very much agree with the position that alt country is the progression of what country music used to be, occasionally mixed with other styles of good music. It always surprised me how different the stuff they play on country radio sounds from actual country music, both in tone and in content. I don't remember Hank Williams singing upbeat songs about pickup trucks or being a redneck. He sang about drinking, being lonely, and women leaving him - that's what country is, dammit, and alt country keeps that alive.

I can't tell from the video if it's a gibson or silvertone amp he's running into, but it's set just to the edge of breakup when he hits the strings. Such an awesome tone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

So glad this is on the front page again! biggrin.gif I really gotta rep Whiskeytown again, easily my favorite country band. I really liked those Bruckner vids too!

I mean..this is an unreleased song, jesus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jRHqlrWW78

I won't let this thread die travvy. You shouldn't either.

• Members

I've tried to get into RA and WTown but he/they just don't grab me for some reason. It's not that they aren't quality songwriters or anything - I dunno. Hard to put my finger on it. Same with Isbell/DBT - I just don't get those guys either. It's either too formulaic or something.

Gary Louris, Tweedy, Farrar, Neko Case, Chuck Prophet, the Good Brothers from The Sadies - their songwriting grabs me. Maybe it's because their voices are so unique. I don't think I could ever hear RA on the radio and immediately identify his voice.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

I've tried to get into RA and WTown but he/they just don't grab me for some reason. It's not that they aren't quality songwriters or anything - I dunno. Hard to put my finger on it. Same with Isbell/DBT - I just don't get those guys either. It's either too formulaic or something.

Gary Louris, Tweedy, Farrar, Neko Case, Chuck Prophet, the Good Brothers from The Sadies - their songwriting grabs me. Maybe it's because their voices are so unique. I don't think I could ever hear RA on the radio and immediately identify his voice.

Really? I could easily, especially with his last few albums. I think you turned me on to Neko Case, I'll be forever thankful for that.

• Members

I've actually always been partial to Alt-Country due to the fact that most Alt-Country bands I've heard are very distinct. I can absolutely tell DRA's voice... I can tell Whiskeytown era DRA from Heartbreaker era, from Gold era, from Cardinals (Cold Roses, 29, Easy Tiger ect...) from current stuff with his new band... Maybe its just cause I'm pretty much obsessed with the mans music in a non creepy way...

And +1 to Neil Young... He, Ryan Adams, and Jeff Tweedy are the three artists with a wall of posters and prints in my music room...

• Members

This is pretty much it right here for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jeb_D08XA

It all comes back to this record. I lubs Gram Parsons and all the rest of the grandfathers but Neil synthesized and distilled it down to it's purest essence, IMO. No hokey 'aw shucks' airs like when the Stones dabbled with it, or copying and rockin' up the Bakersfield thing like the Burritos - this was Hank Williams backed by the greatest garage band ever type {censored}. That run of solo and Crazy Horse records from 1970 to about 1978 is an amazing body of work from a guy who just made the music that he wanted to make and you could kiss his ass if you didn't like it.

• Members

Now this is something I can get behind.

Great thread in general though cool.gif

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

This is pretty much it right here for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jeb_D08XA

It all comes back to this record. I lubs Gram Parsons and all the rest of the grandfathers but Neil synthesized and distilled it down to it's purest essence, IMO. No hokey 'aw shucks' airs like when the Stones dabbled with it, or copying and rockin' up the Bakersfield thing like the Burritos - this was Hank Williams backed by the greatest garage band ever type {censored}. That run of solo and Crazy Horse records from 1970 to about 1978 is an amazing body of work from a guy who just made the music that he wanted to make and you could kiss his ass if you didn't like it.

Archived