Alt. Country

TravvyBear

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by misterstomach

View Post

i like real country music, and i love a lot of the good old stuff that's been posted here. but alt country is such a {censored} genre of whiny douchebags playing the most contrived fake, pathetic music ever. it just seems like such a pathetic, obvious ploy to get laid that it makes me sick. it's as worse than the dude who goes to a loud bar and reads a book in the corner, trying to get noticed by some naive girl who will think he's smart and tortured and lonely. it's a {censored}ing halloween costume for hipster city kids.

it hurts me deeply to see a genius like gillian welch lumped in with these losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

^^^ relax bro. Not all alt country is as you describe. I love the classics, and I also love some artists who push the genre in new directions.

I totally agree with both comments. icon_lol.gif (srs)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

While I appreciate all the older country being posted here, thats stuff I (and most people) have already heard. Cash, The Carter family, Willie, etc...

I was hoping this thread would be more about the alt country scene, stuff from around the 90s to today.

Louvin Brothers, etc. was country music of its day. The idea of "Alt Country" or "Outlaw Music" was a reaction against the Owen Bradley/Chet Atkins Nashville production scene. You had folks like Buck, Waylon and Willie working the country side of that fence, and Buffalo Springfield, Dead, Byrds, Gram Parsons working the rock side. Of course that first wave begat its share of whiny douchebags, like the Eagles, for example.

The 90's resurgence of alt country draws from the same roots, and sometimes, oddly enough, from Owen Bradley production style, which I guess is an alternative to the "bad 70's rock with modern production" that is contemporary country.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

Ahh, so many good songs. I've been learning a lot of new licks, and practicing playing over chords, so much fun.

Also, I've been looking into a lot of old Supro, Gibson and Silvertone amps.

Any of the 'knobs on the top or back' Gibson amps would work well. So would a old blue Ampeg - 6V6 or 7591 models, 6L6 or EL-anything models need not apply - or decent tweed clone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mhuxtable

View Post

I used to have a Falcon....not that version...but it was a {censored}ing great amp. Most of those old Gibson combos (Skylark, Falcon, etc) can be found pretty damn cheap. The reverb/trem on my Falcon was love.gif

Good to hear! Once I buy a new iMac an amp is next on my list. Falcon seems like top dog at the moment. Also looking into older Ampeg and Fender combos.

Archived