Alt. Country

TravvyBear

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

Ahh, so many good songs. I've been learning a lot of new licks, and practicing playing over chords, so much fun.

Also, I've been looking into a lot of old Supro, Gibson and Silvertone amps. This Gibson is really catching my interest.

1960s-gibson-falcon-amp.jpg

Good call, good call. Thems be a fine amp!

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

Also, I've been looking into a lot of old Supro, Gibson and Silvertone amps. This Gibson is really catching my interest.

1960s-gibson-falcon-amp.jpg

That particular model is my main amp - it kills for a variety of styles but it's the perfect small amp for Alt.C stuff IMO. Imagine a tweed Deluxe had sex with a Princeton Reverb while a '60s blue check Ampeg watched - that's a Falcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

Any of the 'knobs on the top or back' Gibson amps would work well. So would a old blue Ampeg - 6V6 or 7591 models, 6L6 or EL-anything models need not apply - or decent tweed clone.

Hells yes. I run alongside my Falcon either a '65 Reverberocket w/7591As or my '64 6G2 Princeton with a 6G15 Reverb tank on top. I love running two low wattage amps in tandem - the Falcon handles the low end beef, the other one takes the mids.

'60s Ampegs (Mercury, Jet, Reverberocket, Gemini)

'60s Gibsons (Falcon, Hawk, Invader)

'60s Silvertones (1482, 1484)

'60s Brownface Fenders (Princeton, Deluxe, Tremolux)

'50s/'60s Magnatones (213, 440, 260)

All those amps have decent clarity when rolled back and can also saturate enough all on their own - they take fuzzes well too. The trem and reverb on a lot of these amps - well let's just say pants would be shat.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

That particular model is my main amp - it kills for a variety of styles but it's the perfect small amp for Alt.C stuff IMO. Imagine a tweed Deluxe had sex with a Princeton Reverb while a '60s blue check Ampeg watched - that's a Falcon.

Hells yes. I run alongside my Falcon either a '65 Reverberocket w/7591As or my '64 6G2 Princeton with a 6G15 Reverb tank on top. I love running two low wattage amps in tandem - the Falcon handles the low end beef, the other one takes the mids.

'60s Ampegs (Mercury, Jet, Reverberocket, Gemini)

'60s Gibsons (Falcon, Hawk, Invader)

'60s Silvertones (1482, 1484)

'60s Brownface Fenders (Princeton, Deluxe, Tremolux)

'50s/'60s Magnatones (213, 440, 260)

All those amps have decent clarity when rolled back and can also saturate enough all on their own - they take fuzzes well too. The trem and reverb on a lot of these amps - well let's just say pants would be shat.

That sounds awesomeeeee love.giflove.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

I like mixing amps. Ampegs - especially the 15" models, jut give a nice low end push without sounding hyped, and add something Fender for top end clarity. I've recently rediscovered the 6G2, and mixing it or a 5E3 with the Supereverb. In fact I'm thinking of changing out the baffle in my 5E7 Bandmaster for a 1x15 for more 15" options/

Nice Louris track!

• Members

View Post

I like mixing amps. Ampegs - especially the 15" models, jut give a nice low end push without sounding hyped, and add something Fender for top end clarity. I've recently rediscovered the 6G2, and mixing it or a 5E3 with the Supereverb. In fact I'm thinking of changing out the baffle in my 5E7 Bandmaster for a 1x15 for more 15" options/

Nice Louris track!

The 6G2 just has the perfect midrange bark and it holds together (for my taste anyway) better than a 5E3.

I've rarely played an amp that represented all of the frequencies well on it's own - blending two amps really sounds massive even if they aren't terribly loud. I'd really like to get a fourth amp with a 15" (either a Gemini II or a brown Pro) and have a wall of smaller amps all blended together. My favorite players (Mike Campbell and Neil Young) have used this method for a long time and they sound incredible to me.

Moar Gary Louris awesomeness:

• Members

View Post

I've never played anything from Premier that was in top condition - we had a lot of it around growing up, but most of it was whipped. How does it sound?

lol its not mine - but I'd like one someday.

They are ALWAYS beat to hell - the covering on them is paper thin.

The one I played was fairly clean and dark sounding - no idea if that was a representative model though.

Archived