Alt. Country

TravvyBear

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by timrocker

View Post

I have to recommend a couple of songs by The Baseboard Heaters, a terrific group out of Portland OR. If you can find a copy of "Away", "Goodbye Rain", and "Roll The Dice", well worth the listen. They had it all.

Holy cow man! Thanks, these guys are great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

'Some Girls' is the best Stones album of all time.

mmmmm. I'd say it was the last Stones album worth buying. Unless you count Talk is Cheap as a Stones album.

It's no Let it Bleed, that's for sure.

The whole intro of Far Away Eyes has Mick racing up the ramp:

220px-Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

Hasn't quite hit the shark yet, but awful damn close.

It took Emotional Rescue to hit the Ink-Spot soliloqy of badness.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34

View Post

I love Hickory Wind.

I'll see that and raise ya... wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0QttAeIPY

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele

View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34

View Post

Holy {censored} that was awesome.

Classic Stones. cool.gif That came out my junior year of high school.

View Post

'Some Girls' is the best Stones album of all time.

IMHO, it is the last truly great Stones album. YMMV.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n

View Post

mmmmm. I'd say it was the last Stones album worth buying. Unless you count Talk is Cheap as a Stones album.

It's no Let it Bleed, that's for sure.

The whole intro of Far Away Eyes has Mick racing up the ramp:

220px-Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

Hasn't quite hit the shark yet, but awful damn close.

It took Emotional Rescue to hit the Ink-Spot soliloqy of badness.

They were a completely different band after Woody joined for good. I love Taylor era stuff, but it never really felt like a true 'band' effort to me - too many additional musicians. 'Some Girls' is raw and pissed off and lean - there is no filler, the words drive the tunes, and the mix is in your face with nowhere to hide. I love 'Let It Bleed ' and 'Exile' and 'Sticky Fingers' and Beggars Banquet' - I'm a huge fan of their whole catalog. 'Some Girls' to me sounds like The Stones at their most primal, and considering it was done 14 years into their career it's pretty amazing that they could pull something like that off as well as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Classic Stones. cool.gif That came out my junior year of high school.

IMHO, it is the last truly great Stones album. YMMV.

I still have my lawsuit copy hanging on my wall - bought it the first day it came out. Paper route monies FTMFW! icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

They were a completely different band after Woody joined for good. I love Taylor era stuff, but it never really felt like a true 'band' effort to me - too many additional musicians.

Not discounting the incredible playing of Mick Taylor, but I like middle period Stones precisely because they were working with Ry Cooder, Gram Parsons, et. al, and reaching beyond the the Chess records they were aping early on, and actually assimilating real Americana influences - country, bluegrass and delta. Maybe not cohesive band statements like Aftermath, but they sounded like they lived for a few weeks at least in their surroundings rather than visiting for the weekend.

Once Woody joined they stopped going to the source, and got cartoonish.

• Members

View Post

Not discounting the incredible playing of Mick Taylor, but I like middle period Stones precisely because they were working with Ry Cooder, Gram Parsons, et. al, and reaching beyond the the Chess records they were aping early on, and actually assimilating real Americana influences - country, bluegrass and delta. Maybe not cohesive band statements like Aftermath, but they sounded like they lived for a few weeks at least in their surroundings rather than visiting for the weekend.

Once Woody joined they stopped going to the source, and got cartoonish.

You can blame it on Woody, or you can blame it on Mick who pretty much had full control of the band by that point. Given that Keith and Woody blended so incredibly well stylistically and always had interesting stuff happening between them, I tend to blame Mick for the post-SG albums sucking balls.

This is a decent late period Stones record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byuMyAFmuak

But yeah - for the most part I agree with you on all of it except laying the blame on Woody for the decline of their later stuff. I actually think he added a lot of good old fashioned kickass rock when they sorely needed it.

If The Stones had followed Keith's path, we'd have had a lot more great stuff like this instead of {censored} like Undercover and Dirty Work:

• Members

View Post

They were a completely different band after Woody joined for good. I love Taylor era stuff, but it never really felt like a true 'band' effort to me - too many additional musicians. 'Some Girls' is raw and pissed off and lean - there is no filler, the words drive the tunes, and the mix is in your face with nowhere to hide. I love 'Let It Bleed ' and 'Exile' and 'Sticky Fingers' and Beggars Banquet' - I'm a huge fan of their whole catalog. 'Some Girls' to me sounds like The Stones at their most primal, and considering it was done 14 years into their career it's pretty amazing that they could pull something like that off as well as they did.

I still have my lawsuit copy hanging on my wall - bought it the first day it came out. Paper route monies FTMFW! icon_lol.gif

I dunno..... I feel like Mick Taylor was more part of the band musically than Ron Wood has ever been.

I mean they pay Woody a salary idn_smilie.gif

Mick Taylors guitar playing on Sway and Moonlight Mile (while keith was absent and comatose) is unbelievably good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Lou-Dog

View Post

I dunno..... I feel like Mick Taylor was more part of the band musically than Ron Wood has ever been.

I mean they pay Woody a salary idn_smilie.gif

Mick Taylors guitar playing on Sway and Moonlight Mile (while keith was absent and comatose) is unbelievably good.

They paid Taylor a salary too and only called him into the studio to lay his parts down. Bobby Keys was more part of the band than Taylor was during his stint in it. Keith had no real rapport with him to speak of and says as much in his book.

Keith WAS The Stones during the Taylor era. Taylor's (and Wyman's too) complaint was that Keith was actually pretty exclusionary in the writing and recording processes - he'd go into the studio with Charlie, cut some basic guitar tracks, add bass himself, call in Nicky Hopkins or Stu for keys or Bobby Keys and Jim Price for horns. {censored} even Charlie wasn't immune from it - Jimmy Miller played drums on 'Happy'. This was the main reason Taylor left - he never felt like he was welcomed into the fold by Keith.

Woody on the other hand was Keith's running buddy - they did The New Barbarians stuff together, Keith played with The Faces onstage and on Woody's solo records. They created a whole new rhythm style together. I'd be hard pressed to think of two more symbiotic players in the history of rock.

The records where Keith was more absent are pretty apparent - 'It's Only Rock N' Roll' and 'Black And Blue' - those are Mick records and it shows. I mean seriously - 'Fingerprint File' and 'Hot Stuff'?

• Members

View Post

OK. Maybe it wasn't Woody. But his timing was right on. tongue.gif

They were really in a state of free fall in the mid '70s. Think about it - they'd been around as a band longer than just about anybody at that point, and that was only 12 years by '76. Rock bands back then had a shelf life of maybe 5 years if they were lucky.

Look at the 'Black And Blue record' - you had no less than 4 different guys play lead on it. The song 'It's Only Rock N' Roll' only had two actual Stones play on it - Jagger and Richards. Those albums have a few gems on them, but for the most part they're terrible records.

• Members

Saw Chuck Prophet And The Mission Express last night.

Unbelievable show. Two solid hours of non-stop rock. They played to maybe 200 people tops on a stage the size of a postage stamp and almost leveled the building. Totally restored my faith that there are still bands out there that know how to play to an audience and deliver a quality show with zero bull{censored}.

I do believe Chuck's $200 Squire is one of the best sounding Teles I've ever heard too. Holy crap can he play guitar - imagine if Mike Campbell and Roy Buchannan had a kid. Ridiculous player.

If they come to your town - go. Seriously.

• Members

View Post

Saw Chuck Prophet And The Mission Express last night.

Unbelievable show. Two solid hours of non-stop rock. They played to maybe 200 people tops on a stage the size of a postage stamp and almost leveled the building. Totally restored my faith that there are still bands out there that know how to play to an audience and deliver a quality show with zero bull{censored}.

I do believe Chuck's $200 Squire is one of the best sounding Teles I've ever heard too. Holy crap can he play guitar - imagine if Mike Campbell and Roy Buchannan had a kid. Ridiculous player.

If they come to your town - go. Seriously.

That sounds awesome.

Archived