Alt. Country

TravvyBear

Quote Originally Posted by humancertainty

View Post

I haven't read past the first page, but I would suggest Jesse Sykes.

Also, you should look into some straight up country. Check out Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Sr. and Jr., Emmylou Harris, Johnny Paycheck, Gary Stewart, Dave Dudley, etc.

This man knows what's up. smile.gif

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

I first heard her live album 'The Tigers Have Spoken' with The Sadies as her backing band and immediately fell in love.

This will never be as great as the original, she simply hasn't got the balls for it..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

This is what I grew up on.

I grew up on it, too. I wasn't able to appreciate it until i was an adult, though. And seriously, check out Jesse Sykes. I'll post a video later when I have my computer back.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

This man knows what's up. smile.gif

Well, thank you, sir.

• Members

View Post

I grew up on it, too. I wasn't able to appreciate it until i was an adult, though.

This is pretty much me to the t. I grew up on a lot of what's called outlaw country today, traditional country, and early rockers that leaned more country than blues. I rebelled against all that getting into punk, hardcore, and certain types of metal. I think I got back into it via satellite and internet radio in the last five or six years. I'd be flipping around the stations when something would come up from my youth and I'd write it down and seek out more of it. Now that I'm in my thirties I've come full circle and beyond. But even when I was knee deep in the pits I'd still find some hillbilly act that I'd spin it would drive my hardcore and metal friends nuts. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle

View Post

Great song. I love Willie's vibrato going on in this song. It's mostly subtle but it comes out heavy in spots (@3:15), and it gives the song some great movement.

I'm also impressed with Willie's harp player Mickey Raphael. Not a mind blowing harp performance below but he's using one of those Echo Harps that gives off the sound of an accordion. It makes the song more personal. I think Mickey was in his teens when he cut this stuff. eek.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkelMonkey

View Post

This is pretty much me to the t. I grew up on a lot of what's called outlaw country today, traditional country, and early rockers that leaned more country than blues. I rebelled against all that getting into punk, hardcore, and certain types of metal. I think I got back into it via satellite and internet radio in the last five or six years. I'd be flipping around the stations when something would come up from my youth and I'd write it down and seek out more of it. Now that I'm in my thirties I've come full circle and beyond. But even when I was knee deep in the pits I'd still find some hillbilly act that I'd spin it would drive my hardcore and metal friends nuts. icon_lol.gif

Yeah. I grew up about 70 miles or so from Bakersfield. They like both types of music there; Country and western. I despised it until I moved up to Oregon and was away from it for a bit. Now it's damn near all I listen to.

Travvy, this here is one of my favorites, although I have to say I hate the term alt. country.

• Members

View Post

Yeah. I grew up about 70 miles or so from Bakersfield. They like both types of music there; Country and western. I despised it until I moved up to Oregon and was away from it for a bit. Now it's damn near all I listen to.

Travvy, this here is one of my favorites, although I have to say I hate the term alt. country.

I enjoyed that.

• Members

Gear question: I'm gonna build a kit in the spring, debating between a Trinity Tweed (5E3) and Trinity TC-15 (AC15/Matchless style). What do you guys think? I know Jim Ward (of Sleepercar) uses an AC30 and really dig his tone, but the 5E3 seems like a classic americana amp.

• Members

View Post

5E3 all the way. You'll get a lot of use out of that amp a long ways down the road too. You might consider a 5E9-A Tremolux? Very similar circuit to the 5E3 but has that amazing bias tremolo built in. That tweed tremolo is Americana as it gets. cool.gif

That's the way I was leaning, but no dice on the 5E9-A, I'm unaware of any Tremolux kits and had planned to go with Trinity as they're Canadian and their Tweed kit is super affordable and high quality.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gnarly

View Post

That's the way I was leaning, but no dice on the 5E9-A, I'm unaware of any Tremolux kits and had planned to go with Trinity as they're Canadian and their Tweed kit is super affordable and high quality.

You might be able to mod the chassis to accommodate the extra tube but yeah go with whatever you can afford and what suits your skill set. You'll get a lot of millage out of a 5E3 even more so with a really efficient speaker.

• Members

View Post

You might be able to mod the chassis to accommodate the extra tube but yeah go with whatever you can afford and what suits your skill set. You'll get a lot of millage out of a 5E3 even more so with a really efficient speaker.

I'll send Trinity an email and see what they say, is the 5E9A circuit much different from a 5E3? Any speaker suggestions? I was planning on going with Whitebox for the cab and just making a headshell for the amp, so WGS and Eminence are the options. The Eminence Cannabis Rex and WGS G12CS are the ones I'm mainly considering right now.

Archived