OT: So When Will Plastic Bottles/Packaging Become Illegal?

Amigo

• Members

Seems like it will have to happen eventually, if not soon. It's scary to think that no matter where you are in the world (stranded on a deserted island) you are guaranteed to find poisonous plastic waste (bottles, bags etc..) on the shore.

I am just wondering what the general consensus is on this subject and your opinions and/or solutions.

Do you drink bottled water? Or do you carry a water bottle?

We truly live in interesting times of extreme change, what we do now has paramount consequence on the lives of people 20+ years from now.

Now I'm not some hippy earth hugging stoner, but imo we as people, and our governments need to readjust the way we operate fast. I personally don't want to be known as the generation that {censored}ed everything up for everyone else to come. Bottles being only one issue of many.

thoughts?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now I'm not some hippy earth hugging stoner, but imo we as people, and our governments need to readjust the way we operate fast. I personally don't want to be known as the generation that {censored}ed everything up for everyone else to come. Bottles being only one issue of many.

thoughts?

That we need more earth huggers and less consumptive {censored}ers on this planet.

• Members

Plastic {censored}'s recyclable. Who cares.

It kind of is, but not entirely.

It depends on the kind of plastic, and what it was used for. And the recycling takes energy and man-power and ultimately lots of money.

It's not like when you turn in one 2L bottle, they can turn it into a new one.

It's more like: here's a 2L bottle... CRUSH/GRIND/MELT...ok cool, here's part of a "made from recycled material" sweater.

Also ^^ those bird pictures are cool in an artistic way, but really {censored}ing misleading. Super doctored photo-setup.

• Members

Plastic {censored}'s recyclable. Who cares.

The only thing that gets recycled is glass, and that is VERY little because its sooo much easier to get {censored} ton of sand than to recycle glass. Plus, no one is getting glass anymore because everyone is switching to plastic for obvious reasons.

Glass is the only packaging material that gets recycled, everything else you put in your recycling bin goes to the same place as your trash bag.

I would love to see unnecessary plastics go away.

• Members

id love for everything in the world to become environment-friendly. but think about it, not only would we have to get america completely on board with it, but also countries like china that are soooooooooo much worse than america and pretty much every other industrialized nation. if only america goes green, that just means america will be a nicer place to live and not have very much global impact, environmentally speaking. i really feel like the next few generations are going to suffer pretty bad because of what we and the past few generations have done. really nothing we can do about it. depressing post is depressing.

here's a picture of the pacific garbage patch...its essentially a floating island of garbage created from trash caught up in gyres in the ocean

tumblr_la6dbea7SJ1qakoigo1_500.jpg

http://www.igorchernakov.com/post/1298277686

• Members
:idk:
Our plastic bottles get recycled

Less than 40% of plastic bottles actually make it to the recycling bin. And like said above even recycling can cause problems. The {censored}ed up part about it all is that there are plenty of alternatives to plastics.... and there are soooo many over packaged goods. Not to mention the health problems plastic containers cause.

Your plastic bottles may get "recycled" but not many places have curb side recycling, I know I don't.

• Members

id love for everything in the world to become environment-friendly. but think about it, not only would we have to get america completely on board with it, but also countries like china that are soooooooooo much worse than america and pretty much every other industrialized nation. if only america goes green, that just means america will be a nicer place to live and not have very much global impact, environmentally speaking. i really feel like the next few generations are going to suffer pretty bad because of what we and the past few generations have done. really nothing we can do about it. depressing post is depressing.

here's a picture of the pacific garbage patch...its essentially a floating island of garbage created from trash caught up in gyres in the ocean

tumblr_la6dbea7SJ1qakoigo1_500.jpg

http://www.igorchernakov.com/post/1298277686

I feel like this should have been cleaned up. I know it's huge, but it's only like 3 feet deep IIRC. Boat + Net = {censored} out of ocean.

Archived