OT: So When Will Plastic Bottles/Packaging Become Illegal?

Amigo

• Members

no really, those bottles and can you're putting in the "recycle" bin

they're ending up in a landfill somewhere

just skip the extra energy/money wasted on pretending to give a {censored} and just throw them in the trash can

Some European places do actually recycle, but yeah, almost everything we put in recycling goes to the same place as our trash bag. Nobody cares :cry:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Things would be made easier if we could enact a universal standard for plastic packaging materials. Right now there is about a dozen different types of plastic for product containers and it's a huge pain in the ass to separate them all - as they cannot be combined. We need a universal standard, and industry is not gonna like it.

• Members

Yay, biodegradable, more miss information
:cry:
(not calling you out, just trying to save the world).

Nothing is going to biodegrade in a landfill. Nothing! {censored}s so packed in there the aerobic microorganisms can't survive, therefor it just sits in there. You ever see the bit where a guy goes down into a landfill, like digs, and finds a carrot and a newspaper from the 1970's? The carrot still snaps when he bends it. Should have been LONG gone.

There is no hope the way we are going.

Hey now, hey now!!! You're putting words into my mouth!

I compost, and I want things to be biodegradable so that I can compost them, or if people throw them out the window they'll break down. It's disappointing now that a lot of paper a lot of milk and ice cream cartons are now covered with a thin layer of plastic, that a lot of egg cartons are now plastic or styrofoam, and that the wax paper that wraps butter now has plastic coating as well.

• Members

Exactly, this wasteful society is disgusting. I don't mean to rant, but honestly think when you go to mcdonalds, and how much unnecessary trash comes with your meal.... now multiply that by all the times you've ever gone there in your lifetime, then times that by the thousands of people who put that {censored} in their face each day..... that's getting to be a pretty big {censored}ing pile of waste for no good reason.

Bingo, I absolutely agree. I always think that when I go there (which I try to make infrequent). Is a paper bag necessary for something that I'm going to eat straight away as soon as I'm out of the door? Is a cardboard box necessary for something that I'm going eat at a table? Like you say, it all adds up when you multiply it by all of the McDonalds addicts that this world is blessed with.

I really hate to think (if only because I can't imagine that they're going to do anything about it anytime soon) how much cardboard would be saved just by McDonalds using more sensible packaging. And there are plenty of companies that have adopted more economical packaging on a large scale, so it can be done. Why can't a burger be wrapped in a bit of flimsy paper anyway?

• Members

I do not give two {censored}s.

Well if it's in your water, food and backyards of your family would you care? Because that's where it is going. The use of plastic bottles also has a direct link to cancer, whether it be a bottle of water, package of lettuce or in the guts of the fish you eat, it affects you and everyone around you immensely. So choosing to not give two {censored}s is the attitude that's {censored}ing up our world and the chance for any life in the near future.

It's incredibly easy not to buy a bottle of pop, but to bring a reusable bottle with you. Do you really want to be partially responsible for {censored}ing up the world over greed and shear laziness!?..... because when you think about it, that's what's happening and it's pretty {censored}ing disgusting.

• Members

Bingo, I absolutely agree. I always think that when I go there (which I try to make infrequent). Is a paper bag necessary for something that I'm going to eat straight away as soon as I'm out of the door? Is a cardboard box necessary for something that I'm going eat at a table? Like you say, it all adds up when you multiply it by all of the McDonalds addicts that this world is blessed with.

I really hate to think (if only because I can't imagine that they're going to do anything about it anytime soon) how much cardboard would be saved just by McDonalds using more sensible packaging. And there are plenty of companies that have adopted more economical packaging on a large scale, so it can be done. Why can't a burger be wrapped in a bit of flimsy paper anyway?

I think something could be done if people were made aware of what is actually going on. The waste is often hidden from us, but if kids were properly educated on the impact this is having on our quality of life, then I think a more general realization could give the necessary push to make a change.

• Members

I personally gave up bottled water, I went through around 30 bottles a week and got tired of finding half full bottles everywhere, carrying the bottles to the third floor, and having a trash can full of plastic bottles. Plus I figured if I bought a Brita water filter pitcher, I would save money in the long run.

I now have 2 aluminum reusable bottles I use for traveling, a camel pack for running, and everyone that comes over just poors it into a cup.

Also- Filtered tap water was graded better than the top ten bottled waters recently.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/best-and-worst-bottled-water-brands-2436818/

EDIT** At some point, I'm guessing Phil will have to read through this whole thread, so I'm going to take the opportunity to ask Phil to change my Title back to what it was a year ago-

Titles are for people who aren't cool but need to feel cool.

Thanks Phil!

• Members

We wash all ours, keep it in the cupboard under the stairs and take it to the recycling place a couple of times a season

I generally buy a bottle of water, refill it 5 times a day for a couple of weeks, recycle it and buy another one

I know I should get an aluminium bottle but I'd worry about keeping it clean and not being able to see if it was full of mould

• Members

again, put it all in the nice, safe landfill

we've already covered the issue that it will never break down, therefore will never enter back into our ecosystem...

look at it as a form of naughty plastic sequestering

If a gas station has a leaking tank, the whole {censored}ing ground and ground around it must be dug up and replaced with fresh soil otherwise it's considered a biohazard. It's not like you can just burry this {censored} and think it's going to go away. Plus the oil isn't going to be there forever, and I'm pretty sure it's in the ground for a reason. Oil and Plastics are very valuable and can be used for some extremely important applications, we shouldn't just be using it on everything and putting it under the ground for convenience. How much convenience does it really provide? Don't be a {censored}head and drop your glass bottle, glass is healthier and tastes better anyways. Why does my Christmas present have to come in 19 layers of rage inducing plastic? Just put it behind something if you don't want it stolen, what are all those cameras for anyways?

It's just so {censored}ing retarded how people have set {censored} up and how they are brainwashed to think that this is okay. 60-80 years is a mere blip in the grand scheme of things, look how much we've {censored}ed it up in such a little time.... we're like cancer.

• Members

So you want everything to "be behind something" in a store? Or pay people to watch every single camera all the time? I thought the cameras were there incase something happened for evidence as much as anything else (like at my business). Ok so we have a problem, what is the solution? We can say 'if people just cared more' or whatever but what do you specifically suggest business do? I am curious.

• Members

So you want everything to "be behind something" in a store? Or pay people to watch every single camera all the time? I thought the cameras were there incase something happened for evidence as much as anything else (like at my business). Ok so we have a problem, what is the solution? We can say 'if people just cared more' or whatever but what do you specifically suggest business do? I am curious.

Personally?

Just stick stuff in a cardboard box, they stack well and you can look inside

• Members

It won't become illegal for a long long long time. The reason is that too many people make money off of it.

SHOULD it be illegal? Absolutely, plastic is a blight to this planet. Those in this thread that go "what's the big deal?" have no {censored}ing clue what plastic has done and is doing to this planet.

• Members

Yeah personally, what is the solution. Stack stuff in a cardboard box?

you're talking like it's some sort of complex mathematical solution. I don't know what the best solution would be, but most things in the plastics are still easy to take. It's not like if they stopped packaging things in plastic, shoplifting will go through the roof. And besides we're talking about places like Walmart, which probably shouldn't exist in the first place, they managed to deal with shoplifting before plastic. There's no reason they have to use it on everything and it just barely deters shoplifting in most cases. It's completely retarded, like a dog {censored}ting in it's food dish.

The bottom line is that a select group of people are making way too much money off of it to stop. Laws are very easily bought, and a lot of jobs depend on plastics, but there has to be a change made or we're all {censored}ed. It will take a shift in government, or a collective agreement among companies to stop using plastic packaging in their products, which ultimately boils down to us (society) making it an important issue and having it influence our purchasing behavior. So it starts with us and hopefully ends up somewhere better.

• Members

you're talking like it's some sort of complex mathematical solution. I don't know what the best solution would be, but most things in the plastics are still easy to take. It's not like if they stopped packaging things in plastic, shoplifting will go through the roof. And besides we're talking about places like Walmart, which probably shouldn't exist in the first place, they managed to deal with shoplifting before plastic. There's no reason they have to use it on everything and it just barely deters shoplifting in most cases. It's completely retarded, like a dog {censored}ting in it's food dish.

The bottom line is that a select group of people are making way too much money off of it to stop. Laws are very easily bought, and a lot of jobs depend on plastics, but there has to be a change made or we're all {censored}ed.

Nice with the mathematic comment when all I am asking for is your opinion on this problem which you don't like. I am actually curious, I feel the same way but struggle to eliminate certain things from my business.

So again though how can we change if there isn't a clear solution? I have to use plastics in certain cases, do I want too, no? It just isn't practical to do anything different though.

• Members

Nice with the mathematic comment when all I am asking for is your opinion on this problem which you don't like. I am actually curious, I feel the same way but struggle to eliminate certain things from my business.

So again though how can we change if there isn't a clear solution? I have to use plastics in certain cases, do I want too, no? It just isn't practical to do anything different though.

I didn't mean to be a dick about it, what is your product? I suppose each product is different when it comes to what it needs to be packaged in. I understand if your product is made out of plastic, then you need to use it, but if it's packaged? There is no reason.

I'm a marketing major just finishing school and there is a HUGE benefit for your company going green. Not only will customers appreciate it, you can (likely more in the future) get tax exemptions, grants and loads of other benefits simply by doing what you as a responsible person should morally do.

Archived