Solid State: Still the best for cleans.

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I'm a tube amp advocate, thru and thru.....but sometimes solid state clean tones really blow my mind.

I've got a few classic tube amps, known for cleans......but for some reason.....when it comes to squeaky clean tones....solid state...just can't be beat.

:idea:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

depends what you want, the best clean tones to me come from EL84 amps right before they hit the edge of breakup... so while they are still clean but they sound really rich with a lot of depth...

never been able to get that from an SS amp..... but if I want flat mellow jazz tones, I prefer SS as well, still looking for a good small jazz combo or head.... I havent tried that Fender ultralight amp yet, I want to give it a shot, might be just right.....

• Members

depends what you want, the best clean tones to me come from EL84 amps right before they hit the edge of breakup... so while they are still clean but they sound really rich with a lot of depth...

never been able to get that from an SS amp..... but if I want flat mellow jazz tones, I prefer SS as well, still looking for a good small jazz combo or head.... I havent tried that Fender ultralight amp yet, I want to give it a shot, might be just right.....

Agreed. I wasn't happy with 6v6 and then stumbled into the el84 realm and haven't looked elsewhere.

• Members

acoustic image corus (not chorus).

1100 but pushes serious rich tone.

I know jazz guys that are giving up their polytones for these.

I played through one at a local music shop (the owner is a great jazz player).

{censored}ing unbelievable.

• Members

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and go Powerword NO on this one.

Flat, sterile, brittle, clanky, one dimensional with a clicky attack is not my idea of a good clean tone.

I have yet to hear a SS clean that even comes close to a decent tube amp. Even the Eden and Polytone stuff sounds dead and lifeless to me. But then again, people here rave about the Cobra's clean, which I can't stand, so maybe our perspectives just differ.

I tend to like toothier cleans, with a bit of swirl and grit - think Hiwatt or Bassman cleans, or a Twin pushed a bit. My old Marshal Major was {censored}ing incredible as well. SS amps just don't push that hard, with that authority.

• Members

this. I only keep my valve junior around so I can do that

• Members

Fender Roc-Pro, Ampeg VH-140c and of course JC120 all have great cleans... I wouldn't say they are the best but they are by no means bad. If you want breakup, though, you're better off looking elsewhere.

You know, those older Pearce amps have some pretty cool SS cleans as well. Not my cup of tea, but David Torn used em for a long time and got some stellar cleans out of em.

• Members

In 1991 I played a Peavey Stereo Chorus 400. I thought the cleans were great and the OD was just so so but it worked. Then I joined a 50's band for a year and the other guy had a Peavey Classic 30. His cleans shimmered where as mine were flat and dull. I thought it was his Strat plus but when I plugged in my Strat it was the same. Tubes for the clean win.

• Members

I have never heard cleans sweeter than my Mesa Triaxis (on rhythm yellow, Mark IV modern hyper clean) through a Mesa Strategy 500 power amplifier through Celestion G12H-80 speakers...

To get any cleaner than that, an Alvarez-Yairi Japanese handmade acoustic with fresh strings has to be put into the equation...

• Members

No {censored}ing way.

The Legacy has wicked clean tone IMO.

I definitely prefer tube cleans in most cases. Even my Powerball had better clean tone than the solid state amps I've owned. It just seems like tube cleans have more personality ...

• Members

The Legacy has wicked clean tone IMO.

I definitely prefer tube cleans in most cases. Even my Powerball had better clean tone than the solid state amps I've owned. It just seems like tube cleans have more personality ...

I LOVE the legacy clean, so warm and fat sounding, it's perfect.

Archived