Solid State: Still the best for cleans.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The OP has/had a Super Reverb
:facepalm:
And a Silver Jubilee, which from my experience have pretty decent cleans for a Marshall.

And a host of other tube amps.
:facepalm:
He just doesn't know how to use any of em.

Has......I didn't say I didn't like the Super's clean.....I just said that it really isn't as clean as most solid state stuff.....so thus is not considered in this thread.

To be honest, I've gone a streak for buying great sounding clean tube amps. I use tube amps most of the time........but I'm always suprised when I plug into a non-n00b solid state amp with a touch of reverb.....just wow.

Your technique must be terrible, so you have to hide behind {censored}ty tube amps to cover it up.

Wanna buy my Jubilee combo? Works perfectly.;)

• Members

Apples and oranges.

I like to have one of each.

Right. I love tube cleans, but I love my Tech 21 Trademark 60's clean channel every single time I plug into it.

Also, a lot of you guys are mention an amp "pushed". See, that's not clean anymore to me, that's, well, pushed. I'm usually playing funk on my clean channel and I don't like hair on my funk tones.

I know what you mean, but it's not as if a Twin doesn't sound good when it's not pushed, and same with my Peavey Classics. They stay pretty clean unless at earbleed volumes.

• Members

I'm currently using a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 as my gigging amp - it has pretty good cleans. Good enough for me, but not equal to classic Fender clean tones, IMO.

I also have a Tech21 TM60, which I gigged with for a few years, and it is capable of OK clean tones. They're "clean", sure, but are kind of flat to my ear.

The Roland Cube 30's & 60's clean channels sounds great to my ears. Also, the Fender CyberDeluxe had a killer Blackface clean option that sounded excellent, and was close enough to any clean Fender I've ever owned or played.

• Members
Has......I didn't say I didn't like the Super's clean.....I just said that it really isn't as clean as most solid state stuff.....so thus is not considered in this thread.

To be honest, I've gone a streak for buying great sounding clean tube amps. I use tube amps most of the time........but I'm always suprised when I plug into a non-n00b solid state amp with a touch of reverb.....just wow.

Your technique must be terrible, so you have to hide behind {censored}ty tube amps to cover it up.

Wanna buy my Jubilee combo? Works perfectly.
;)

How much?

• Members

owning/buying great sounding amps =/= knowing how to use said great sounding amps.

And no, my Jubilee kicks infinitely more ass.
:cop:

Were you the one on SD CL selling the Jube half stack for $2500? I was so ready to buy it if it had been a month later.

• Members
im still gassing for a vh140-c for my surf project.

That's the first time I hear of somebody wanting a vh140c for a surf project. Usually, it's Fender through and through, or at least, Fender and Mosrite.

You'd be crucified on a surf music forum I check once in a while :D

• Members

depends what you want, the best clean tones to me come from EL84 amps right before they hit the edge of breakup... so while they are still clean but they sound really rich with a lot of depth...

never been able to get that from an SS amp..... but if I want flat mellow jazz tones, I prefer SS as well, still looking for a good small jazz combo or head.... I havent tried that Fender ultralight amp yet, I want to give it a shot, might be just right.....

Couldn't agree more. My favourite cleans are that of a Vox AC30's normal channel just on the edge of breaking up. Great dynamics, if you pick a little harder you have a slight breakup, pick a little softer and it's brilliant clean. I used to own a Roland Jazzchorus and the cleans were just TOO clean and flat sounding for my tastes, just as any other SS amp i have played.

Archived