Solid State: Still the best for cleans.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and go Powerword NO on this one.

Flat, sterile, brittle, clanky, one dimensional with a clicky attack is not my idea of a good clean tone.

I have yet to hear a SS clean that even comes close to a decent tube amp. Even the Eden and Polytone stuff sounds dead and lifeless to me. But then again, people here rave about the Cobra's clean, which I can't stand, so maybe our perspectives just differ.

I tend to like toothier cleans, with a bit of swirl and grit - think Hiwatt or Bassman cleans, or a Twin pushed a bit. My old Marshal Major was {censored}ing incredible as well. SS amps just don't push that hard, with that authority.

Agreed.

• Members
I don't understand why you have to insist that any tube amp has dirt at any level. It's quite easy to play an amp at levels that does not create any dirt in either the power or preamp.

It a tube amp were perfectly clean.......it would sound like a solid state.:cop:

• Members

Oh, I {censored}ing hated My JC-60. I'm assuming it's the same as the 120, but damn, I couldnt get rid of that quick enough

Second the motion;

All in favor; (too many hands)

Motion passed!!!

If JC120 is the clean you like you must have Spock's ears.

• Members

I dunno about best, depends on the application. But, that said, I do :love: SS cleans when done well. My ADA's SS Clean channel (which is apparently "inspired" by the JC-120) coupled with it's built-in chorus is pure sex, IMHO. Ironically the tube clean sounds good, too. ;)

• Members
No it wouldn't.

Your amps are busted or your ears suck.

Pick one
:cop:

The distorted signal is what we like about tube amps......even clean, the sound you are hearing is dirty.......not dirty enough for you to think it's "dirt".....it sounds clean to us....even though it really isn't. :thu:
......thus not a squeaky solid state clean.:cop:

• Members
The distorted signal is what we like about tube amps......even clean, the sound you are hearing is dirty.......not dirty enough for you to think it's "dirt".....it sounds clean to us....even though it really isn't.
:thu:
......thus not a squeaky solid state clean.

:facepalm:

• Members
The distorted signal is what we like about tube amps......even clean, the sound you are hearing is dirty.......not dirty enough for you to think it's "dirt".....it sounds clean to us....even though it really isn't.
:thu:
......thus not a squeaky solid state clean.

Shut up Joshua. This post is reason enough for people to realize you only collect amps for the coolness factor of owning them, and not to use them like they should be used.

Or you bought a bunch of malfunctioning gear which leads me to question why you bought said amps to begin with.

• Members
Shut up Joshua. This post is reason enough for people to realize you only collect amps for the coolness factor of owning them, and not to use them like they should be used.

Or you bought a bunch of malfunctioning gear which leads me to question why you bought said amps to begin with.

Since you're apparently the freaking expert.....please explain the scientific differences between tube amp cleans and Solid State cleans.....

• Members
Since you're apparently the freaking expert.....please explain the scientific differences between tube amp cleans and Solid State cleans.....

We're dealing with sound differences, not scientific differences. If you want to discuss that please start another thread, and ask accordingly.

In the mean time, please continue proving how you have tin ears because your vintage Super Reverb and silver Jubilee fail compared to a solid state amp.

• Members
We're dealing with sound differences, not scientific differences. If you want to discuss that please start another thread, and ask accordingly.

In the mean time, please continue proving how you have tin ears because your vintage Super Reverb and silver Jubilee fail compared to a solid state amp.

Right, and my thread clearly states that we're talking about great squeaky clean solid state cleans.....that you can't get with a tube amp.

I didn't say I didn't like my Super or Jubilee :cop: I love the super....the jubilee is nice too....but I think it's mostly internet forum hype and nostalgic memories of youth.
It's just a different type of clean tone.....it's sounds better because of the distortion of the signal. It's the harmonics that make it sound "sweeter".

Actually, I've stated on many of occasions that I actually like the Jubilee's cleaner tones.:p

• Members
Right, and my thread clearly states that we're talking about great squeaky clean solid state cleans.....that you can't get with a tube amp.

I didn't say I didn't like my Super or Jubilee
I love the super....the jubilee is nice too....but I think it's mostly internet forum hype and nostalgic memories of youth.

It's just a different type of clean tone.....it's sounds better because of the distortion of the signal. It's the harmonics that make it sound "sweeter".

Actually, I've stated on many of occasions that I actually like the Jubilee's cleaner tones.
:p

No, your thread states Solid State cleans are the best, period.

If you really believe this while owning a vintage Super Reverb, then either it's malfunctioning or your ears suck.

You're bringing up minute details now, which is an indication that you have resigned from this "discussion" and are trying to troll.

btw, You really don't understand that Jubilee, do you?

Maybe you should take up Guitar Hero and leave playing guitar up to the rest of us.

• Members
No, your thread states Solid State cleans are the best, period.

If you really believe this while owning a vintage Super Reverb, then either it's malfunctioning or your ears suck.

You're bringing up minute details now, which is an indication that you have resigned from this "discussion" and are trying to troll.

btw, You really don't understand that Jubilee, do you?

Maybe you should take up Guitar Hero and leave playing guitar up to the rest of us.

I'm fairly sure you're the troll. :cop:

Correct.....thus our disagreement.
You're trying to convince me that tube amp clean tones are clean....when they really aren't.;)
Sure they sound clean to use....but they aren't.:wave:

• Members
I'm fairly sure you're the troll.

Correct.....thus our disagreement.

You're trying to convince me that tube amp clean tones are clean....when they really aren't.
;)
Sure they sound clean to use....but they aren't.
:wave:

You're nitpicking at the very least, and just plain stupid if you're trying to argue about things that can only be detected under an Oscilloscope. :rolleyes:

You're not in my league, Jr :cop:

Archived