So what's the deal with Arcade Fire?

OverDriven

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still am not understanding what some people here seem to have against a band with more members than usual. Do you also hate orchestras?

Because bands should be a drummer, a bassist, a rhythm guitarist, a lead guitarist and a singer. If you want to go completely wild, the rhythm guitarist can also sing backing. If it's prog, replace rhythm guitarist with keyboard player. So it is written in the bible of music.

• Members
I still am not understanding what some people here seem to have against a band with more members than usual. Do you also hate orchestras?

+1

It seems the major complaint is "OMFG THEY HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE, THE MUSIC ISN'T INTERESTING ENOUGH TO WARRANT THE USE OF THAT MANY PEOPLE!1!!!"

If you didn't KNOW there were that many people producing said music, would you still have such a raging boner of hate for them? :confused:

• Members

no problems with bands with lots of people, if they actually do something creative.

I just get this feeling that the rest of the band is there to create drama, to look good, and to give all their friends something to do. It doesn't add anything.

• Members

If you didn't KNOW there were that many people producing said music, would you still have such a raging boner of hate for them?
:confused:

I don't hate them, their music is better than 90% of the schlock out there in the mainstream, but I just find them boring and uninspiring, as I would if they were a three piece.

• Members

Oooookay so I started with Funeral. I listened all the way through. The verdict: not impressed at all. It doesn't have any of the qualities I heard in the songs I mentioned in the original post, and it's pretty annoying to listen to overall. Really disappointed, but I'm thinking I will like Neon Bible and The Suburbs more.

• Members

Oooookay so I started with Funeral. I listened all the way through. The verdict: not impressed at all. It doesn't have any of the qualities I heard in the songs I mentioned in the original post, and it's pretty annoying to listen to overall. Really disappointed, but I'm thinking I will like Neon Bible and The Suburbs more.

hmmmm

• Members

you are on the road to Arcade Fire Hate. at the end of the road there is a bar called "sasquatch place." come on in and make yourself welcome. our house specialty is shrimp n grits with a side of friend green tomatoes that are topped with a butter/reduced balsamic vinegar sauce. we also have a really good chex bar mix.

• Members
you are on the road to Arcade Fire Hate. at the end of the road there is a bar called "sasquatch place." come on in and make yourself welcome. our house specialty is shrimp n grits with a side of friend green tomatoes that are topped with a butter/reduced balsamic vinegar sauce. we also have a really good chex bar mix.

I've been hanging out in this bar for years now. :D

• Members

Never dug them, but for admittedly superficial reasons. I saw a couple live performances on TV and the guitarist/lead singer managed to start breaking strings on his acoustic towards the end of each song it seemed just by strumming too hard followed by the overly faux-passionate tearing off of the remaining strings in that "i'm so emotionally hot right now I need to destroy something" kind of way. I have no problems at all with simple straight forward pop songs and no problems with people ripping the strings off their instruments but the two combined felt kinda silly. Or maybe the dude was just really nervous cause he was on TV, who knows.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
I'll check it out. I don't see how anyone with appreciation for music could hate this band. They're really impressive musicians.

just when joe made an awesome ATDI thread, he comes with this {censored} :facepalm: i am a man without a country i guess. theyre good, dont get me wrong, but i will never understand the endless dicksucking.

• Members

it's like watching the e street band, and it doesn't resonate at all with me. they seem to take themselves ENTIRELY too seriously to boot.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Members

Are you trying to say those two songs are similar?

I'd like you to explain how. Similar tempos? Similar chords?

They just sound similar and have a similar vibe IMO. Nothing wrong with that; it's one of the 2-3 U2 songs I like. From what I've heard so far, I'm probably not a AF fan, but I can see the appeal and kind of like what they're doing.

• Members

They just sound similar and have a similar vibe IMO. Nothing wrong with that; it's one of the 2-3 U2 songs I like. From what I've heard so far, I'm probably not a AF fan, but I can see the appeal and kind of like what they're doing.

I can see where a band like AF (in that song in particular) were probably influenced by early U2 -- but I don't see where the two songs are really that similar. Yeah,...not at all.

• Members

I've never really listened to AF. That one song "No Cars Go"? Sounded pretty good -- not sure I would sit around and listen to/get into them, but didn't sound bad at all. Well put together tune,...slightly interesting arrangement.

From what I know of the them I don't know why anyone would make comparisons to more traditional rock band configurations -- they have a different approach,..people seem to dig it, so what. :idk: Might not be my thing but I can't like everything.

• Members

I can see where a band like AF (in that song in particular) were probably influenced by early U2 -- but I don't see where the two songs are really that similar. Yeah,...not at all.

That's cool, but I can hear it, and that's all that matters to me. :D I also think Kings of Leon were highly inspired by early U2 on their more radio-friendly songs, though there are also differences and many may disagree.

I think certain elements to songs can make them sound overall a bit similar, such as growling vocals makes all music that vocal style is on less enjoyable to me and makes the overall music more similar than would otherwise be the case if the vocals were more varied between each artist.

• Members

I feel like I was late to the party getting into Arcade Fire. I picked up The Suburbs because it was like $3 from Amazon MP3 and I saw it getting really good reviews. Worked my way backwards through the discography from there. Neon Bible is my favorite, but I like them all. I think their music is very influenced by bands like U2 that were implying a large production, orchestral feel to some of their music, but stripped it down to fit the rock band format. Arcade Fire just went for it and ended up with like nine people in their band. I know they're far from the first band to do that kind of thing and sometimes it comes across a bit heavy-handed with violins and multiple percussionists and stuff, but I still enjoy what they do and think it's pretty unique.

Archived