Which amps do you prefer the V30 with, over other speakers?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

They sound good in Fender amps though.

I used to play in a band with another guy playing an identical Fender Tone-Master, only he had the matching, V30-loaded cab. He'd always ask me {censored} about what tubes I was using, etc., because even with the exact same settings, my amp always sounded warmer and fatter than his, then I told him to plug into my cab. He ordered a quartet of Greenies and put his V30s for sale on the Bay the very next day. :o

• Members

Not my fav Celestion speaker either.

They sound good in Fender amps though.

I know, right? My favorite setup is a stereo setup with a Fender Twin with V-30's on one side and a Marshall 50 watt Plexi or single channel JCM-800 (both with 6550's) or a Vox AC-30 into a Marshall 4x12 loaded with Heritage Series Celestion G12H's.

So I don't have to take those amps on the road with me anymore I do the same setup but with a pair of Mesa TA-30's with one set for "tweed" and the other set for "top boost"...kept the V-30's in one cab and put G12H's in the other. Totally does the trick and I don't have to take hard to replace amps on the road with me (well...hard to replace because of all the work I've had done to them to really dial in what I consider the ideal versions of those particular amps...you can find a Twin and Plexi pretty easily).

My live setup is below...I also have a pair of open backed 1x12's for smaller gigs with the same speakers in them...

Mesas.jpg

• Members

I know, right? My favorite setup is a stereo setup with a Fender Twin with V-30's on one side and a Marshall 50 watt Plexi or single channel JCM-800 (both with 6550's) or a Vox AC-30 into a Marshall 4x12 loaded with Heritage Series Celestion G12H's.

So I don't have to take those amps on the road with me anymore I do the same setup but with a pair of Mesa TA-30's with one set for "tweed" and the other set for "top boost"...kept the V-30's in one cab and put G12H's in the other. Totally does the trick and I don't have to take hard to replace amps on the road with me (well...hard to replace because of all the work I've had done to them to really dial in what I consider the ideal versions of those particular amps...you can find a Twin and Plexi pretty easily).

My live setup is below...I also have a pair of open backed 1x12's for smaller gigs with the same speakers in them...

Mesas.jpg

I still haven't played a ta30...yet they intrigue me

• Members

I think they're the best amp Mesa makes, IMO.
:)

I didn't really care for the ta15, but holy {censored} the clips of the ta30 are badass!

The 30 watt class A "top boost" mode on channel 1 sounds like everything I love about ac30s but with a bit more nuts. And the 15w class A mode on channel 2 sounds like a killer deluxe cranked to high {censored}. That's very impressive.

• Members

I didn't really care for the ta15, but holy {censored} the clips of the ta30 are badass!

The 30 watt class A "top boost" mode on channel 1 sounds like everything I love about ac30s but with a bit more nuts. And the 15w class A mode on channel 2 sounds like a killer deluxe cranked to high {censored}. That's very impressive.

Yeah...I had the TA-15's and they were OK but I needed more headroom and I really didn't need a 5 watt setting since I have a place where I can play 24 hours without bothering anyone. The TA-30's have been awesome live rigs...versatile enough for any size venue, easy to transport...put a couple of them in a couple of good sized suit cases with the 1x12's for some fly-in gigs at SXSW this year. Worked out great.

• Members

Yeah...I had the TA-15's and they were OK but I needed more headroom and I really didn't need a 5 watt setting since I have a place where I can play 24 hours without bothering anyone. The TA-30's have been awesome live rigs...versatile enough for any size venue, easy to transport...put a couple of them in a couple of good sized suit cases with the 1x12's for some fly-in gigs at SXSW this year. Worked out great.

I wasn't a fan of the TA-15's but like Dolf said the TA-30 clips seem much less ratty. Maybe that's a bit extreme of a description, but something about the TA-15's exemplified my issue with most lunch box amps.

What band do you play in?

• Members
V30's are my speaker of choice.

I find them pretty balanced and don't really hear/notice the "mid spike" that people complain about.
:idk:

yeah-- but you have solo chops.

as a rhythm player who plays mostly chords... they're the antichrist. for m'self- attack's overaccentuated and clattery, the midrange is too present and scritchy, the bottom's too soft, and they sound honkey/scrapey, and it doesn't dial out. if you play single note leads? perfect. present, cutty, soft enough, sustainy.

but i think the reason there's so much controversy is that some people play guitar COMPLETELY differently than others- and they definitely have their niche. i am not it.

Archived