VOM 12 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Whalebot
- Would have been good to see your hands as you were playing. I really liked the guitar playing, your voice and the quality of the songwriting.

You found out my secret, I play with my feet. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by J.S. Bach. This is only the first portion of the song. I'll be working to bring you the rest of it as some future VOM (when I improve enough to play it).

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7230756

This recoding is a bit "thumpy". That is partly the microphone and partly me.
:(
Amyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Galabar- just wanted to say fine job. this tune is my nemesis. years ago I learned the simplified Kottke version which is really rinkydink. then a year or two ago I thought I should learn to play it properly. It took a while to get the Kottke version out of my head. Now I can't play either. :confused:

I am not giving up but this thing is a stinker. Some day I'll nail it. (I hope)

My hat is off to you, Sir!:thu:

• Members
Galabar- just wanted to say
fine job
. this tune is my nemesis. years ago I learned the simplified Kottke version which is really rinkydink. then a year or two ago I thought I should learn to play it properly. It took a while to get the Kottke version out of my head. Now I can't play either.
:confused:
I am not giving up but this thing is a stinker. Some day I'll nail it. (I hope)

My hat is off to you, Sir!
:thu:

Gosh, thanks a lot. This version is from the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Classical-Guitar-Solos-Duets/dp/0874874084

It is 3 pages long (I played just the 1st page). Unfortunately, I think I am not ready to tackle the other 2 pages. I may revisit the piece again in 6 months when I've improved a bit.

By the way one of my guitar buddies can sight read through this stuff without a problem (he's been playing for a long time). It doesn't give my instructor a problem either. I'm not sure if that is motivational or discouraging . :facepalm:

• Members
Gosh, thanks a lot. This version is from the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Classical-Guitar-Solos-Duets/dp/0874874084

It is 3 pages long (I played just the 1st page). Unfortunately, I think I am not ready to tackle the other 2 pages. I may revisit the piece again in 6 months when I've improved a bit.

By the way one of my guitar buddies can sight read through this stuff without a problem (he's been playing for a long time). It doesn't give my instructor a problem either. I'm not sure if that is motivational or discouraging .
:facepalm:

I know, I know. When I am actively working on it, I can get through it if I have the sheet music in front of me, but this involves turning pages and all the cumbersome stuff that entails. I always memorize my stuff, and this one gives me brain cramps.

• Members

I know, I know. When I am actively working on it, I can get through it if I have the sheet music in front of me, but this involves turning pages and all the cumbersome stuff that entails. I always memorize my stuff, and this one gives me brain cramps.

I know what you are talking about. I've been using the VOM monthly submission to attempt to memorize one new piece each month. After the VOM, I try to continue to practice it and keep it in my "repertoire" (quoted, because I know so few songs that I cringe when calling it a "repertoire").

VOM is an extremely good motivator for me. Unfortunately, I have not figure out what I want to play next month (usually, I start practicing the new piece on the following Monday and stick with it throughout the month).

• Members
I know what you are talking about. I've been using the VOM monthly submission to attempt to memorize one new piece each month. After the VOM, I try to continue to practice it and keep it in my "repertoire" (quoted, because I know so few songs that I cringe when calling it a "repertoire").

VOM is an extremely good motivator for me. Unfortunately, I have not figure out what I want to play next month (usually, I start practicing the new piece on the following Monday and stick with it throughout the month).

This is really cool to hear. I never thought that stuff like this would be a result of the VOM. :)

• Members

That's not a bad thing. I try to use the VOM as a motivator to pen my own stuff, yet without the pressure of actually producing a polished piece. I find that the creative juices work best under an approach closely related to the one take guideline. Instead of just noodling for my own indulgence now, I try and have some sort of recording apparatus nearby to capture the essence of the piece. Then I have something to refer to and build upon.

Hopefully one day I'll have some of my originals polished enough to put out my own album. I admit I have a long way to go though.

• Members

Oh----I missed two.

Galabar - excellent job with Jesu, your classical technique is coming along very very well!

Garthman - very nice song selection and performance....as always! What guitar were you using?

Okay, I think I got everyone now. Great turnout this month. Seey'all next time! :wave:

• Members
This is really cool to hear. I never thought that stuff like this would be a result of the VOM.
:)

Yup, the main three songs in my "repertoire" are the songs that I recorded for VOM. I think I'm going to move away from the classical/fingerstyle songs and try a little flatpicking for the next VOM. :thu:

• Members

That's not a bad thing. I try to use the VOM as a motivator to pen my own stuff, yet without the pressure of actually producing a polished piece. I find that the creative juices work best under an approach closely related to the one take guideline.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

Jack London (1876 - 1916)

• Members

Garthman - very nice song selection and performance....as always! What guitar were you using?

Thank you for your kinds words, gentleman, and A+++ to both of you for noticing the "unusual" guitar.

It was a little trick: The guitar is an Ovation Applause AE21 deepbowl electro-acoustic with 10 gauge strings. I recorded the song with a computer mic about 18" in front of me to pick up the vocal and acoustic guitar and I ran a lead from the guitar through a Zoom 3000 multi-effects proccessor with tweaked compressor and EQ effects into a 10W amp which I placed about 6 feet behind me.

Recorded in one take straight to my computer with Audacity.

BTW, well done everyone - another great VOM with excellent performances from all participants.

• Members

Some amazing players here!
Most enjoyable thread!
I would like to participate in this...have some basic recording equip, but no camera...any special software involved in tying audio/visual together...how do you upload to youtube, etc., etc.???

• Members

Most enjoyable thread!

I would like to participate in this...have some basic recording equip, but no camera...any special software involved in tying audio/visual together...how do you upload to youtube, etc., etc.???

I don't do the video thing (many folks don't). I just use a USB microphone and Audacity. It is really easy to get started.

If your guitar has a preamp, you can just plug directly into the line-in of your computer. However, a USB or Firewire interface would give you much better results.

A lot of folks here use www.soundclick.com to upload their songs for the VOM.

• Members

Most enjoyable thread!

For the video portion I use a Canon Powershot 7.1 megapixel digital camera that has an AVI mode that shoots at a frame rate of 15 frames per second. Each frame is 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high. The picture quality is good enough for Youtube but the microphone isn't all that good, so I employ a couple of different ways of recording the audio track separately and simultaneously.

For the audio portion I either use a $60 Shure PG57 microphone into an $80 Behringer mixer or I plug my guitar's K&K Pure Western Mini (passive triple soundboard transducer pickup) into a K&K Pure XLR Preamp and then into my PC's soundcard. For software I either use Audacity (freeware) or Reaper (shareware with non-expiring evaluation period but a suggested purchase price of $50) and record a couple of dry runs to get the levels set correctly.

Once I have the separate tracks on my PC's hard drive I import them both into MS Movie Maker (comes shipped with Windows) and do the "post production" stuff, like syncing the tracks and trimming off extra footage at the beginning and end. I also add titles and credits.

As for the Youtube portion, I upload the finished video (usually in the higher 640px by 480px quality) via a wireless LAN/highspeed cable internet connection and it takes about 15-20 minutes to upload a 3-5 minute movie. After that, it takes Youtube about a half hour or so to optimize it on their end before it's ready to be viewed.

BTW, I'm funny about getting too much exposure when uploading covers (RIAA has me paranoid) so I disable embedding the video in other sites like here or Google video and don't use many tag words for the Youtube search engine. My first video from last May is up to 1100 hits but I used a lot of tags. OTOH another that I chose to make private up until about a month ago has only gotten 45. My point is that if you just want to share with a few close friends - or even strangers such as the VOM1T then it's easy to do.

• Members

Moving on to page 2 and finishing (hopefully)...

Queequeg - nothing wrong with recording a song in your pj's, otherwise I'd have been locked up long ago. Hard to go wrong with a Beatles tune, either.

OGP - First time I ever heard that song was on Clapton's unplugged. The kazoo is an absolute must on that. Great job!

Thaddeus - Cool slide work. The reso sounds great.

jandrew - I don't know the song, but really enjoyed your take.

northstar - great composition, very relaxing and well-played.

blue2blue - damn, great vocal work and fun slide. nothing wrong with the sound of that $75 guitar.

brianwahl - I don't know if I know this Mayer tune, but you've got a great voice for that song, and great recording.

kwakatak - I like how your version of "noodling around" sounds like something I'd have to work on for a few months.

Mattskiba - I agree with the previous comments - catchy and jangly, fun to listen to and sounds fun to play.

totamus - very good recording, great tone, vocals, everything. best wishes on your surgery/recovery.

whalebot - another great original. great lyrics and playing.

happyman - I don't know much pearl jam, but I remember that one. Excellent job on what sounds like a tricky one to sing.

galabar - I've been slowly learning that one too. Really nice job on a tune that's tricky, especially to hold out the full bass notes under the melody.

garthman - great finishing tune to the VOM. I love the tone of both the guitar and your singing.

Is that everyone? I hope so, because that's all the reviewing I have in me today. As always, I enjoyed listening to all the really skilled players, singers and songwriters on this board and hearing music from lots of different genres; further proof of the amazing versatility of the acoustic guitar.

As someone who doesn't gig (and who's gigging days were limited to a few years back in my electric garage band days), these give me something to shoot for every month, keeping my playing from being stagnant (which is what is was from 1992-2006). Thanks again to everyone who contributed and commented!

• Members

For the video portion I use a Canon Powershot 7.1 megapixel digital camera that has an AVI mode that shoots at a frame rate of 15 frames per second. Each frame is 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high. The picture quality is good enough for Youtube but the microphone isn't all that good, so I employ a couple of different ways of recording the audio track separately and simultaneously.

For the audio portion I either use a $60 Shure PG57 microphone into an $80 Behringer mixer or I plug my guitar's K&K Pure Western Mini (passive triple soundboard transducer pickup) into a K&K Pure XLR Preamp and then into my PC's soundcard. For software I either use Audacity (freeware) or Reaper (shareware with non-expiring evaluation period but a suggested purchase price of $50) and record a couple of dry runs to get the levels set correctly.

Once I have the separate tracks on my PC's hard drive I import them both into MS Movie Maker (comes shipped with Windows) and do the "post production" stuff, like syncing the tracks and trimming off extra footage at the beginning and end. I also add titles and credits.

As for the Youtube portion, I upload the finished video (usually in the higher 640px by 480px quality) via a wireless LAN/highspeed cable internet connection and it takes about 15-20 minutes to upload a 3-5 minute movie. After that, it takes Youtube about a half hour or so to optimize it on their end before it's ready to be viewed.

BTW, I'm funny about getting too much exposure when uploading covers (RIAA has me paranoid) so I disable embedding the video in other sites like here or Google video and don't use many tag words for the Youtube search engine. My first video from last May is up to 1100 hits but I used a lot of tags. OTOH another that I chose to make private up until about a month ago has only gotten 45. My point is that if you just want to share with a few close friends - or even strangers such as the VOM1T then it's easy to do.

Thanks for the info.

I like the idea of using a camera along with the audio, in that I could use it to help me evaluate my own playing...help me to see my errors in technique etc.

Most of the stuff I'd be doing is original material with a target audience of the people here on the VOM threads etc.

• Members
My recording gear is a firewire interface.

The guitar I'd want to use is the archtop I'm finishing which has no electronics at this point...so would be miked.

Is the format mp3 for upload on audio only?

Yes, you would use Audacity to create an MP3 file and upload it. There is an extra plug in for Audacity that exports the MP3 file from your project (it is easy to install):

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3

If you want video, a digital camera and mic would work. If you had a video camera, that would make things even easier. In any events, I think we *all* want to see videos of the new arch top in action! :thu:

By the way, are there any long term plans for electronics on that puppy?

• Members

I'm trying to record one of my songs to post but I keep messing up. I've only been playing since May and frequently have the problem of having a lot of ideas but not enough skill to get them out of my head and onto the guitar. If I can't get a good recording tonight I'll just keep practicing until next time.

EDIT: Yup, not going to happen until next time.

• Members
Yes, you would use Audacity to create an MP3 file and upload it. There is an extra plug in for Audacity that exports the MP3 file from your project (it is easy to install):

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3

If you want video, a digital camera and mic would work. If you had a video camera, that would make things even easier. In any events, I think we
*all*
want to see videos of the new arch top in action!
:thu:

By the way, are there any long term plans for electronics on that puppy?

I'm looking forward to showing it off a bit.:lol:
Will have a suspended pickup after i get the finish on it...still raw wood at this time as I finish thinning the recurves.

Archived