VOM 12 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Sorry I was late to the party, had a out of town venture to deal with.

At any rate. The VOM archive site has been updated. It was a record turn out with 33 performers laying down some killer tracks. Excellent job, one and all.

Please check the archive site to make sure your submission was included and is correct. You can review that here:
http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com

Next month, is the VOM's anniversary and we're planning a face lift for the archive site as well as adding some new fancy features and stuff. Hope to see everyone back (and then some)..

Thanks to you (and Stackabones)! :thu:

• Members
What's great about this is that we get to hear, finally, people play. We talk so much about guitar gear that somehow we forget that people behind the avatars and screen names play real music.

:thu:

If we all lived close enough to each other, we'd probably get together and jam and swap tunes. This is the next-best thing imo. It keeps us current with each other and how we're playing, progressing, and so forth. I've also noticed how it's also opened some technological/recording/youtube doors for various folks.

It's really cool to see forumites from other neighborhoods check in and post. Though this is held in HCAG, it's open to all members. I've put up posts in the past but didn't get too big of a response. I think if someone who is a regular in another forum were to mention this, then we could probably have an even more diverse group that we already have. Spread the word.

Thanks to everyone for being involved on this one and for the past year. Hard to believe this started as a "what if" and "whatcha think about" and now we've got this.

Big tip of the hat to Ohioarrow for archiving every last one of these. :wave:

Joe, I'll check the archive for mine later. I'm at a library computer right now that is blocking the site. :idk:

• Members

Joe, I'll check the archive for mine later. I'm at a library computer right now that is blocking the site.
:idk:

Now, that's something, what with all the pron allowed at libraries.

I'm about half through listening to this month's submissions. Good Stuff Maynard! So far it's been a fine time.

I want to thank those of you who had a listen and those who posted such kind remarks. I do appreciate it.

For those who are not familiar with Mickey Newbury, he wrote "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In)", "An American Trilogy", "Sweet Memories" and "Funny, Familiar, Forgotten Feelings", probably the ones most folks would recognize. An outstanding album, if you can find it is "Live At Montezuma Hall ? I Came To Hear The Music" double album. He was not only a great writer and performer he was a wonderful story teller. That comes through very well on the "Montezuma" album.

• Members

Thanks to all the indulged my effort...I know this is supposed to be a one take submission but I don't play out and I need to cover up the mistakes with a lot of production...I promise I will soon, do a one take... maybe even next time ...we'll see...thanks again...

• Members

Thanks to all the indulged my effort...I know this is supposed to be a one take submission

Actually, it's not. VOM1T is just one aspect of VOM. It's a cool challenge to lay down something in one-take and just let it be -- sorta just like we'd do if we were hanging out together jammin'. It's an exciting option for all, but not a rule that all must follow.

• Members

I just want to say a big thank you for all those who have made generous comments on my submission. :thu:

I also want to apologise for not having had the chance yet to listen to everyone else's entries, but I do hope to do this tonight, so hopefully you'll be getting some more feedback soon!

• Members

Thanks to Joe and Stack for the work they've done to make VOM possible. And a special thanks to all that listened to my submission.

I still have about half the submissions to listen to but my laptop just took a dump on me (and yes, with my last recording on it) and I had to fire up my old 533mhz Celeron machine (15 min bootup time), which means I can't play videos without them running choppy. Now I just gotta nose my way onto my wife's computer to listen to the rest, so I will be a might tardy in my remaining evaluations.

• Members
gthom -- love that Jobim tune, as well. Have you heard Joao Gilberto's version? Nice job.

Thanks...Gilberto's version is the one I first fell in love with. I've been steadily memorizing the Portuguese lyrics and should get around to learning the chords...but I'm practically tone deaf when it comes to singing and trying to sing like Joao would only underscore that.

And thanks to everyone else for listening, I didn't think I'd get something recorded this month but was afraid to start off '09 without making some kind of effort. I actually learned this song awhile ago on steel string, where I typically wrapped my thumb around on the bass...that doesn't work so well on the classical (and it's a hell of a lot easier to barre, anyway), but I never relearned the fingerings, so it's not too fluid. Plus I'm usually on my 3rd or 4th drink by 8pm on a Sunday evening, so what sounds good at the time often sounds a little different once I listen unobstructed the next day.

Now, I need to finish up listening to everyone else's. :wave:

• Members

gthom -- love that Jobim tune, as well. Have you heard Joao Gilberto's version? You do a nice job.

Scott O -- don't think I've heard this tune before. I suspect you bring a very different approach to this Pearl Jam song. You have an almost ethereal, old school folkie voice. :)

Galabar -- isn't that a lovely composition? That Bach guy had it goin' on. ;) Nice job.

garthman -- the fi is a little low (or maybe that's an FX? A chorus or flanger?) but there's a real downhome charm, here. You're a real treasurefinder... as I recall the Byrdmaniax album isn't generally considered that fine band's best album.

I think I got everyone. If I missed someone, I hope someone will let me know.

Great fun!

• Members

Ha
:D

I know you know I'm originally from Brittany, land of the original Celts
;)

One of my favorite places! I love the sometimes rugged coastline. I've spent a few weeks in St Malo accumulated... just sort of stumbled in there one day in 1971 and fell in love... me and the then-GF were staying in a little urban campground when one of those North Atlantic squalls came flying in out of nowhere int he middle of an otherwise beautiful day. Our little pup tent stayed up but a whole lot of those big family-sized fold out trailer tents got upended and flooded. It must have been two inches of rain in 90 minutes or so and then it was sunny again...

Anyhow, I was trying to figure out your accent (from one of your guitar reveiw vids) and I couldn't even decide whether or not you were a native English speaker. The bluesy, rural American sounding drawl flummoxed me. This explains so much!

• Members

..... I had to fire up my old 533mhz Celeron machine (15 min bootup time), which means I can't play videos without them running choppy.....

15 minutes us an unreasonable boot time, even with the need to boot up protection processes.

If you have reasonable memory, ie; a minimum of 128Mb but preferably more, in that oldie but goodie use one of the light weight Linux distributions that are available. TinyMe, AnitX, SliTaz and variations of Puppy will work very well on that computer, particularly if you have 256Mb or more of ram. You can run them live off the cd to see how they run and most will run better after an installation.

If you just have to keep what ever Windows you're currently running check what processes you have running and get rid of all that are not neccessary. Back up and defrag your hard drive and should be able to go in and arrange the boot sequence which can also help boot times.

• Members

Alright, picking up on where I left off...

mrmoe - impeccable playing and a great voice. I really like the lyrics, too.

Jimmy Chaos - Thanks for joining the VOM. I still remember as a kid hearing this song for the first time on The Young Ones, and whenever I'm playing cards and the ace of spades comes out, I can't resist singing it. Cool work.

Frets - great performance! is that one of those Gretsches I heard so much about on here?

Rhancox - another welcome to VOM, and another great job.

joshmac - really stellar, seriously. you nailed that vocal part, makes me think I'm not listening to enough Dylan.

C70man - that guitar sounds great. definately a nice job for a 'work in progress'.

BlackHatHunter - god, I'd love an archtop like that. nice performance.

riffmeister - really inspiring, as usual.

Sam - beautiful and, as someone else mentioned, hauntingly so. great job.

Alright, that gets me through page 1. Back to work!

• Members

Yeah... his pitch is pretty much supernatural. You don't often find singers so intimately connected with a guitar or piano (and the necessary equal temperament orientation) who seem to so able to transcend the typical conflicts between ET accompaniment and more true harmonic vocal intervals. His voice and the melodic pitching of his vocals is so soothing... it's like a balm to the jangled modern ear.

(And while she was under his spell, his ex, Astrud had her own, considerably quirkier but sometimes stunning moments of transcendence, as well. My introduction to Joao was a 'cute meet' -- in the Hollywood sense. I thought I was spending a, for me, rather extraordinary amount on a Getz/Gilberto album with Astrud, their "Girl from Ipanema" was big on the charts then -- but what I actually bought was the album with Stan on one side and Joao on the other and no Astrud, anywhere. I was disappointed, since it was about 3 weeks' allowance. But I really grew to love that album. And, as much as I like Astrud's classic work -- it's Joao who has continued to deliver to me over the years.)

• Members

Yeah... his pitch is pretty much supernatural. You don't often find singers so intimately connected with a guitar or piano (and the necessary equal temperament orientation) who seem to so able to transcend the typical conflicts between ET accompaniment and more true harmonic vocal intervals. His voice and the melodic pitching of his vocals is so soothing... it's like a balm to the jangled modern ear.

(And while she was under his spell, his ex, Astrud had her own, considerably quirkier but sometimes stunning moments of transcendence, as well. My introduction to Joao was a 'cute meet' -- in the Hollywood sense. I
thought
I was spending a, for me, rather extraordinary amount on a Getz/Gilberto album with Astrud, their "Girl from Ipanema" was big on the charts then -- but what I actually bought was the album with Stan on one side and Joao on the other and no Astrud, anywhere. I was disappointed, since it was about 3 weeks' allowance. But I really grew to
love
that album. And, as much as I like Astrud's classic work -- it's Joao who has continued to deliver to me over the years.)

Totally agree with the Joao Gilberto sound. My son introduced me to his music. I knew "Girl from Ipanema", can even play it, but not much about his music and singing in general, that is until my son fell in love with the whole Samba thing. Now its kinda like Django...I got to hear some a couple times a month.

• Members
15 minutes us an unreasonable boot time, even with the need to boot up protection processes.

If you have reasonable memory, ie; a minimum of 128Mb but preferably more, in that oldie but goodie use one of the light weight Linux distributions that are available. TinyMe, AnitX, SliTaz and variations of Puppy will work very well on that computer, particularly if you have 256Mb or more of ram. You can run them live off the cd to see how they run and most will run better after an installation.

If you just
have
to keep what ever Windows you're currently running check what processes you have running and get rid of all that are not neccessary. Back up and defrag your hard drive and should be able to go in and arrange the boot sequence which can also help boot times.

Thanks for the advice Dak, but this is what I do for a living. Even then, this old computer is temporary until I can get the laptop back up. I have a version of Linux on the old beast, on a separate drive, but it's been a while since I booted to it and I don't remember the password I used (how's that for a professional?) Anyway, I only need it to connect back into my company's network so I can do my work, so the speed is not an issue. It's only a nuisance when I want to do anything else. I guess I'll just have to work all day for a while. :facepalm:

• Members
Thanks for the advice Dak, but this is what I do for a living. Even then, this old computer is temporary until I can get the laptop back up. I have a version of Linux on the old beast, on a separate drive, but it's been a while since I booted to it and I don't remember the password I used (how's that for a professional?) Anyway, I only need it to connect back into my company's network so I can do my work, so the speed is not an issue. It's only a nuisance when I want to do anything else. I guess I'll just have to work all day for a while.
:facepalm:

If you want access to the Linux partition, just boot from a Linux CD, mount the partition and change the password in the password file. Here is an example:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/arch-linux-help/99587-password-recovery.html

This should work for whichever release you have (you just need a CD distribution to boot from).

Here is another technique that does not require a CD:

http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archive/2008/09/howto_reset_a_lost_ubuntu_pass.html

• Members

Apologies for taking so long, but I finally had time to listen to everything tonight. As usual, some terrific talent about!

FussenKuh - Fun and funky! Thought the solo, rhythm and vocals all worked well together.

Stackabones - Had my foot tapping right away - great guitar playing. Lots of little extra frills in there.

g6120 - Really beautiful song. Loved the rich sounding guitar.

pschaafs - Guitar slightly out of tune but a nice song really well played.

Ellen - Seemed like you were easily playing all those complicated jazz chords that I wouldn't even attempt. Great technique!

daklander - Once again a really great vocal with a song thats suited perfectly. Wish I could perform like that.

Michael - Excellent stuff. Loved the atmosphere - similar to Thunderstorm Waltz (which is definitely a good thing). I thought the lyrics rolled together beautifully.

tbryson - Love hearing good original songs on here - it really inspires me. Maybe one day I'll have one at a VOM myself.

mrmoe - I was impressed after only a couple of seconds of this. Great vocals, great songwriting and great guitar playing.

Jimmy Chaos - Never heard the original, but form what you said I'm assuming it's not really meant for acoustic guitar. However, you managed it admirably! Well done.

Frets99 - For whatever reason I love songs in the key of E and you certainly performed a good one there!

rhancox - Great playing. Nice to hear a 12-string too.

joshmac - I really enjoyed that. As someone who plays a lot of Paul Simon songs, I like that style of fingerpicking. I really should try and learn some more Dylan stuff.

C70man - Good to hear upbeat instrumentals. Very well played.

BlackHatHunter - Welcome to the VOMs. A great performance. I'd never even think of trying to cover a song like that but you did it well.

riffmeister - Wow! That was just beautiful - perfectly played and full of interesting things. Give it a proper title though!

Samilyn - Haunting atmosphere, which suits your beautiful voice. And the Martin isn't bad either!

Queequeg - Excellent playing! Looks pretty complicated to learn.

OldGuitarPlayer - That was fun! You looked like you were really enjoying performing that. Didn't expect to hear a kazoo on here, but it fitted it pretty well!

Thaddeus - What a great sounding guitar! Great slide playing - wish I knew how to use one.

jandrew - I knew this would be a treat as soon as I heard the first few notes. Don't think I've ever heard the original, but I like this simple arrangement.

Northstar - Quite different to most things on here. Loved the intro especially and the mellow feel of the Maj7 chords.

blue2blue - Another 12 string! Great stuff. A very contagious rhythm which had my foot tapping.

brianwahl - Would love to be able to produce something as professional sounding as that. Nice song too.

kwakatak - The background sounds actually add to the homely atmosphere. I really liked that tune, and the great sounding guitar.

MattSkibaIsGOD - Another good original song. I agree the guitar could be a little less loud, but I'd be pretty proud if I wrote that.

totamus - Hope you are well again soon. Loved the song you posted. Terrific voice and beautiful guitar strumming.

Whalebot - Would have been good to see your hands as you were playing. I really liked the guitar playing, your voice and the quality of the songwriting.

gthom - That's proper classical guitar playing! Very well played!

happy-man - Very nice recording. The strumming is great and you have a very good voice.

Galabar - Excellent playing. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

garthman - What kind of guitar is that? It sounds really unusual, in a good way! I liked the song and the whole atmosphere it created.

Archived