VOM 12 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

*tbryson:* I could tell it wasn't 1 take (very polished) but sounded great!! Like evrything about it. Some great back up singing too!

Thanks g6120...yeah I don't think anyone would think it was one take.Thanks for the compliments.On other boards it has not been well received. So I thank you again:)

Wow what kind of other boards are not receiving that song well? I honestly thopught it was very well put together!! Don't listen too much to crtics. Keep doing your own thing. That was really a great song and well produced IMO.

• Members

Michael Martin ~ High Hopes and Hesitation ~

01-11-2009, 01:30 AM

Credit: Original

linkable URL:

http://www.box.net/shared/fv58nd4isn

Comments:

All right. Here we go. I'm still a recording newbie, but I like to mess around. As you will see (or, actually, hear)

This is a song I wrote a bit more than a year ago. It's about profound adoration. It's about helpless devotion and gob-smacked infatuation. It's about amorous dynamics on a planetary scale, wherein all the world around implodes around you because the most fantastical amazingness that is possible has transpired.

I was camping in Bluffton, IA. That night I drank too much scotch, and so did she. The night was gorgeous, the moon was full, like tonight. Perigee moon. In the morning, I woke up with three things: a lovely lady I am unworthy of, a good-scotch hangover (much better than a bad-scotch hangover--trust me), and the melody of this song, which is titled "High Hopes and Hesitation".

There are six tracks, but I did do it 1-take, BION. Guitar capo 8, guiitar capo 3, vocal, egg shaker, bass, and keyboard (the helicopter and the doorbell)

That was/is beautiful...

• Members

Wow... nothing like a lack of spare time to keep a person from listening to VOM submissions. Lucky for me, I finally got sound functioning on my computer at work so I can again stream these great tunes while I code. Great work everyone! I do, however, have to give an extra shout out to Jimmy Chaos for bringing Ace of Spades to the acoustic guitar and happy-man for covering a one of my favorite tunes this month.

Alahan - Man, I love hearing this kind of soothing music when I'm trying to unwind after a hard day's work. I wish I could finger pick like you... then I could play some of this music for myself.

Stackabones - Great work, Stack! I love the sound of that guitar and really liked the solo work on this track.

g6120 - Very nice song and very well played! What a great way to capture and remember the 1st several months of your daughter's life!

pschaafs - Nice song! I'm not familiar with Donovan, but, I dug the tune.

guitarist21 - Short and sweet! Sounds great!

daklander - Quality tune, Dak and you're right about it telling a heck of a story. It's also great to be able to finally put a face with the music! Thanks for taking the time to record the video.

Michael Martin - Very well written Michale! I really dig that melody and I think you turned it into a fantastic song.

tbryson - Catchy tune and good mixing! You got my foot tapping along to the beat. And, thanks for posting the lyrics and chords.

mrmoe - Clever way to interpreted the theme you were given for January ;) As usual, you've done some great playing and vocal work. Thanks for sharing!

Jimmy Chaos - LOL... Awesome! Never though I'd hear Ace of Spades on an acoustic, but, you're right. I think it sounds quite good acoustically.

Frets99 - Wow... Fantastic Frets! Maybe it comes easier for most people, but I can hardly strum and sing. I can't imagine ever being able to finger-pick and sing. Oh, and thanks for taking the time to overlay all them lyrics. That was probably quite an undertaking in itself

rhancox - I don't know many Neil Young songs, but I know this one and I really enjoyed your version. Welcome to the VOM and thanks for sharing!

joshmac - Dispite you saying it came out "kind of sketchy" I'd say it sounds quite good. That's a nice sounding guitar with a quality voice to match.

C7-man - Wow, that tune was over before I knew it! But, what I heard, I really enjoyed. I'd love to hear the final rendition if you ever get around to recording and posting it.

BlackHatHunter - Great playing with a voice to match. I'm not familiar with the tune, but I was digging it :thu:

riffmeister - Man, I wish I could write a "warm up" piece that sounds that good! This is another one of those tunes that I could just keep listening to over and over again.

Samilyn - Nice tune, Sami :) I love listening to your voice in these songs. Oh, and I hope the move is going (or has gone) smoothly!

Queequeg - Quality! If I could finger pick as well as your "rough around the edges" rendition of this song, I'd be quite pleased with myself ;)

OldGuitarPlayer - LOL... I never thought I'd get to hear a song with a kazoo solo in it! I can now die a happy man ;) Great job OGP! Since I'm not familiar with the tune, I didn't even notice lyrical flubs. What I did notice is my foot tapping along with this fun little ditty.

Thaddeus - I loves me some slide work! That home built resonator sounds fantastic to my ears :thu: Great original tune.

jandrew - Welcome back to the VOM! Great choice of music. It's funny, I've enjoyed listening to this tune over the years, but I never actually knew it's name. It was a happy surprise once the music started playing and I linked the song with a name.

Northstar - Lovely tune, Northstar! I'm going to have to keep my ears open for Boreal and Laurentien...

blue2blue - Great toe tappin' tune Mr. blue2blue! As I said earlier, I'm a sucker for some slide, so this song hooked me once I heard that ;)

brianwahl - I've never been a huge fan of Mr. Mayer, but I have to say, I really enjoyed your rendition of this tune. Thanks for sharing and for including a HD feed!

kwakatak - Soooo... what kind of cookies are we baking here? ;) I've always been partial to oatmeal raisin myself.... but, I digress, that's some lovely noodling you've captured on film... err, video. The song has a very soothing vibe to it... much like the vibe I get while eating cookies.

MattSkibaIsGOD - Probably in part to my lack-luster speakers, I had a hard time making out your lyrics. With that aside, I liked the guitar work on the track and I'd be interested in hearing the final cut of the track.

totamus - Hats off to you and your buddies! That's some nice work from the lot of you. Hope your surgery went well and hope that hand is healing up nicely!

Whalebot - Nice work Whale. You've written yourself a nice little tune. The repair job looks fantastic. The guitar sounds like it's back in great shape.

gthom - Nice tune, gthom. You always make fingerpicking look so freakin' easy!

happy-man - Ok, I'm a sucker for Pearl Jam... So it's not as good as PJ's version, but I would rank it higher than the Staind cover that I'm always hearing on the radio, which, I think, is saying a lot! Great work :thu:

Galabar - Nice work Galabar. I've always enjoyed this classic :) I'm looking forward to hearing your future efforts!

garthman - What a pleasant way to wrap up the VOM. I'm mesmerized by that guitar.

• Members

Just want to thank everyone again for checking out my submission this month. Now, I've gotta get my butt in gear... the next VOM is just over two weeks away :eek:

FussenKuh:
That was a lot of fun and I really dug your playing!!

Thanks a bunch, Gil. It's always a treat to hear that people have enjoyed my simple little tunes.

• Members

g6120
- Very nice song and very well played! What a great way to capture and remember the 1st several months of your daughter's life!

A sincere Thanks for your comments which mean a lot to me because it is an original song! lol....and glad to see I'm not the only one listening late!

It takes a good solid focused chunk of time to listen to all of the VOM and this time I had to do it in increments but it was still well worth the time and very enjoyable. I like to listen to all of each submission from beginning to end.

I was keeping a written text of my responses during the week as I listened.

Part of my problem is that I like to listen while not doing anything else so I can truly enjoy the music! Like the old days when people used to put on an album and sit and listen to it. Those days are long gone. Way too much information coming at us from every direction these days!!

PS: In case anyone missed my responses they are 4th post down on page 10

Archived