VOM 12 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

Totally agree with the Joao Gilberto sound. My son introduced me to his music. I knew "Girl from Ipanema", can even play it, but not much about his music and singing in general, that is until my son fell in love with the whole Samba thing. Now its kinda like Django...I got to hear some a couple times a month.

Your son is very wise.

I don't have any kids, but my cat, Duke, loved John Coltrane's mellow stuff. Now, I got my first 'Trane record in high school, so, in all likelihood, I introduced Duke (a rescued alleycat from my old neighborhood) to Coltrane. But I probably would not have gotten into his mellow stuff so deeply had Duke not been so into it. (At one point, when he escaped and planted himself in a neighbor's locked sideyard, defying my entreatiese to come home, I put on his fave, the Coltrane for Lovers collection, opened all the windows and turned it up, and, sure enough, within five minutes he'd wandered out and ambled back toward home.)

DukeListensToTrane.jpg

[actual photo of Duke listening to Coltrane for Lovers... something about the sound of 'Trane's reed... he could pick it out even when I wasn't sure... a hell of a cat... ;) ]

My other cat Dave had a big thing for Astrud Gilberto -- I was playing her Silver Collection comp when Dave and his siblings were being born and I probably played it a lot when he was a kitten. (Still, his brother George, who he was very close to and very different from, seemed to not care much about music at all, except that he hated one song of mine that I worked on way, way too long. Have to admit, I got pretty sick of it, too, and still am.)

Thinking Duke might have a thing for mellow sax, I tried Getz and Getz/Gilberto on him but it was Trane that rocked his world. ;)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I finally got my laptop up and running. So, without further ado, here are the remainder of my VOM reviews, with apologies for the delay.

Joshmac - I love the fingerpicking. Good job for just learning it. I like your little riff at the end too.

BlackHatHunter - I think I like your version of this song better, especially with your voice.

riffmeister - nice piece. I especially love the melody.

Thaddeus - great song on that 12-string resonator. That's some serious slide. And like Q said, what pipes! Great voice, man

jandrew - that's a beautiful sounding guitar as well as your playing. Nice job.

Northstar - that's one of those songs that you don't want to end. That was nice.

Blue2Blue - That was cool. Another great 12-string slide. Not bad for a $75 special.

BrianWahl - Lots of passion from you in that song. Very well done. I like your set up too.

Kwak - Man, if that was noodling, imagine the money you could make if you were serious. Like Q said, nice flat and fingerpicking at the same time. That was a lovely tune that is just waiting for the right words.

MattSkibaIsGod - You're right, the guitar was a bit loud. It was difficult for me to hear the words. I loved the song though. I'd like to play that on my 12-string.

Totamus - Cool song. For me, the recording was just like being there.

Whalebot - Beautiful song. The guitar sounds great and you have a wonderful voice. You had that capo on, like what, the 12th fret?

gthom - lovely playing. As Samilyn said, it was like sitting in your favorite lounge listening to the beautiful classical guitar music. Wonderful.

happy-man - I'm not a Pearl Jam fan either, but I liked that song. You did it very well.

Galabar - Beautiful job. I can't wait to hear the rest.

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

I can't wait until next month. I'm working on a cover now, finding all the tabs out there so I can do it up right. I'm not a writer so...

Thanks again to all that listened and commented on my submission. It means a lot. Truely.

-Rob

• Members

Just kiddin'. From the video, trying to take a peak at the fretboard, it was almost as though you had maybe 4 frets of room between the capo and the body. But the amazing part was, it was still in perfect tune for being on that high. A testament to the guitar itself, unless you had to make adjustments (intonation issues).

• Members
Well I finally got my laptop up and running. So, without further ado, here are the remainder of my VOM reviews, with apologies for the delay.

Joshmac
- I love the fingerpicking. Good job for just learning it. I like your little riff at the end too.

BlackHatHunter
- I think I like your version of this song better, especially with your voice.

riffmeister
- nice piece. I especially love the melody.

Thaddeus
- great song on that 12-string resonator. That's some serious slide. And like Q said, what pipes! Great voice, man

jandrew
- that's a beautiful sounding guitar as well as your playing. Nice job.

Northstar
- that's one of those songs that you don't want to end. That was nice.

Blue2Blue
- That was cool. Another great 12-string slide. Not bad for a $75 special.

BrianWahl
- Lots of passion from you in that song. Very well done. I like your set up too.

Kwak
- Man, if that was noodling, imagine the money you could make if you were serious. Like Q said, nice flat and fingerpicking at the same time. That was a lovely tune that is just waiting for the right words.

MattSkibaIsGod
- You're right, the guitar was a bit loud. It was difficult for me to hear the words. I loved the song though. I'd like to play that on my 12-string.

Totamus
- Cool song. For me, the recording was just like being there.

Whalebot
- Beautiful song. The guitar sounds great and you have a wonderful voice. You had that capo on, like what, the 12th fret?

gthom
- lovely playing. As Samilyn said, it was like sitting in your favorite lounge listening to the beautiful classical guitar music. Wonderful.

happy-man
- I'm not a Pearl Jam fan either, but I liked that song. You did it very well.

Galabar
- Beautiful job. I can't wait to hear the rest.

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

I can't wait until next month. I'm working on a cover now, finding all the tabs out there so I can do it up right. I'm not a writer so...

Thanks again to all that listened and commented on my submission. It means a lot. Truely.

-Rob

Thanks Rob. :thu:

• Members

Just kiddin'. From the video, trying to take a peak at the fretboard, it was almost as though you had maybe 4 frets of room between the capo and the body. But the amazing part was, it was still in perfect tune for being on that high. A testament to the guitar itself, unless you had to make adjustments (intonation issues).

Actually you are right, it is a 12 fretter! And the intonation is dead on, my G7th capo helps with that.

• Members

First of all, apologies it has taken so long o post responses. I've been listening throughout the week and just finished up right now. When I scrolled throguh the list of submissions I knew this was going o be an exceptional VOM!
FussenKuh: That was a lot of fun and I really dug your playing!!

Alahan: Beautiful! I'm not a perfectionist myself so Ilet mistakes fly! I didn't notice any in yours.

Stackabones: Nice groove! Some skillful playing there and the elctric worked well for that one! Has a great rockabilly feel!

pschaafs: What a great rendition!

guitarist21: You got some serious skills going on there! Noce one!!

daklander: great song Dak! Not familiar with Mickey Newbury's songs but enjoyed that one!! Sounds like yu may be placing either your mic or camera way too close to the computer. Took me a long time to figure that out myself. If you can get your mic or camera away from any equipment and in a quiet place that works wonders for your audio on video.

Michael Martin: Grea story and even greater song!! Superb work and recorded so professionally too. Sounds really great!!

tbryson: I could tell it wasn't 1 take (very polished) but sounded great!! Like evrything about it. Some great back up singing too!

mrmoe: What a Pleasure that was to listen to! Great song with some very clever lyrics!! Always like yur stuff!

Jimmy Chaos: What a great and unsual choice! That do sound great on acoustic!!

Frets99: Great song!! Enjoyed that one a lot Frets!!

rhancox: Always love a great neil cover!! I think I posted this to a VOM1T a while back too. You should post this on Neil Young HARVEST Week!

Joshmac: Real nice rendition of a Dylan Classic!

C70man: Very nice instrumental!!!

BlackHatHunter: Superb! I've tackled Come Away With Me before. Great job on theis Norah song!!

riffmeister: Very catchy instrumental and your playing is professional as always!! In a whole other league for sure!! Enjoy listening to your stuff a lot!!

Samilyn: WOW a very hauntingly beautiful rendition of this Joan Baez classic!!

Queequeg: Superb! Always enjoy fingerstyle arrangements of beatles music!!

OldGuitarPlayer: That was some mighty fine Jamming! I subbed to you with my new channel!! Enjoyed that a lot!!

Thaddeus: WOW some mean slide blues playing!!

jandrew: What an ecellent rendition of this great song! I like the slow tempo too!

Northstar: Absolutely Beautiful!!

Blue2blue: Great song!! You aren't getting nearly enough views or comments on your video. I'll get on there and share it so more people can hear your great work!!

Brianwahl: Great Mayer song and great performance by you!! I tried watching in HD but my connection is too slow!

Kwakatak: Sweet!! And having your wife and son in the background made this special!! A keeper!!

MattSkibaIsGOD: Excellent Work!! A lot of my songs happen with that first line in my head for a while. It's great when they come together like this!!

Whalebot: I'm becoming a big fan of your stuff!! Great song!!!

gthom: Very nice feel! Enjoyed that a lot!!

happy-man: Kudos for taking on this Pearl Jam song! A great one and not easy to sing at all!! You transformed the song successfully to the solo acoustic realm!!!

Galabar: Always something so comforting about hearing this one and you did an excellent rendition!!

garthman: A great old Byrds sng! Enjoyed that one a lot!

WHAT AN EXCELLENT VOM!!

• Members

G6120 - That's an amazing feeling you put to words. Children have that ability to draw us into the "now" of life like nothing else. Beautiful song. I hope you know that the song you write for her when she's 19 years old will most likely be decidedly different.

More like:

So why you dating that crazy boy

Pick up your clothes, pick up your feet clean up your room

You call this getting good grades a D?

What kind of logic is that? You from the Moon?

Thanks Frets!! Hope I'm still around when she's 19!

• Members

*tbryson:* I could tell it wasn't 1 take (very polished) but sounded great!! Like evrything about it. Some great back up singing too!

Thanks g6120...yeah I don't think anyone would think it was one take.Thanks for the compliments.On other boards it has not been well received. So I thank you again:)

• Members

Gil:
Very heartfelt. You really have the Youtube recording process down; the quality of your stuff is always so good.

Thank so Much! I try and do the best I can with just a microphone ($75 Sony ECM-MS907 stereo) plugged directly to my soundcard and recording as 24/96 WAV. Don't own any other equipment.

• Members

g6120: I could see Neil Young sing this. I hope I'm not offending you but you definitely have some kind of Neil Young vibe going on with your voice anyway.

Not at all! Thanks! Neil is one of my heroes so that is quite a compliment!!

• Members

G6120........You put so much emotion into your playing and singing. This song was no exception.....a great job.

Thanks so much for the great comment! The way I figure it is Life is way too short to do anything half hearted. If I can't throw my entire self into a song I don't record it. Got a few waiting for the right moments.

Archived