VOM 12 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

FussenKuh - mission accomlpished.....bluesy with just the right amount of raunchiness, love the low-tuned git-box!! :thu:

Alahan - nice job! I happen to be a big fan of the nylon string guitar and you did great!

Stack - blues to the max!! great vocals and I particularly liked your melody-chord leads with supporting rhythm strums, great stuff!!

Gil - beautiful and heartfelt, your daughter is lucky to have such a tuned-in dad!!

pschaafs - cool song that I'm not familiar with, I really like the way the bass line walks down, great job with it!

Ellen - loved it! esp the walking bass lines!! and it ends on that classic jazz chord with b5 on top. your versatility amazes me!

Dak - loved the song and as always, your voice has such amazing character!

MM - beautifully done, in every possible way. your guitar sounds are so smooth and sweet!

thryson - kinda country, all right! I particularly liked how the song built as it went along by layering new parts with each cylce.

mr. moe - great finger pickin' and I really dug the chord changes. and your vocals, as always, are very decisive. great song!!

jimmy chaos - driving rhythm guitar and your vocals reminded me a bit of early Bowie. great job!!

Frets99 - mighty fancy git-tar you got yourself there! great tune with a blues vibe and the lyrics remind me why I need to go out right now and buy more guitars!! :D

rhancox - excellent, simply excellent cover of a classic Niel Young tune. move over g6120!!!! :D

joshmac - one of my all-time favorite Dylan tunes, you more than did it justice!

C70man - great jazzy tune, nice chord changes and I liked the cool ending!

BlackHatHunter - beautifully delivered ballad and love them f-holes!! :D

Samilyn - mmmmmm.....deep dark brooding minor guitar part and as always, your vocals drew me right in. great stuff!!

Queequeg - great rendition of a Beatles classic and I really dug the sound of your guitar (a Breedlove, right?). thanks!!

OGP - what a great song, brought me right back to ~1965 when I first heard it played by the Brothers Four. you are an awesome troubador!

Thaddeus - slide blues on a resonator.....there ain't nothin' quite like it! and wow, like your guitar, your voice certainly packs a punch! :D

jandrew - beautiful tune and a very deliberate delivery, thanks!

Northstar - very dreamy intro followed by a catchy rhythm and nice chord changes.....me likey!

blue2blue - you certainly live up to your namesake! :D you've got a great voice and loved the slide guitar accompanyment!

brianwahl - excellent cover of a JM tune.....you sound remarkably like him!

kwak - excellent tune. but is it noodles or cookies?? :D really, I liked the easy-going feel of that one, and the accompanyment in te background was priceless! :D

MSIG - driving rhythm in 6/8 and as always, you've managed to craft a very catchy tune!

totamus - excellent sounding tune with a laid-back groove, and I really liked the rhythm section on the bongos!

whale - you make that guitar sing very nicely.....just don't go all Pete Townshend on it again! :D seriously, you spin a great song....I think it was talent that filled that guitar of yours and caused it to crack!

gthom - awesome, dude!!! love the bossa nova feel on a great jazz standard (whose name I'm wigging on at the moment....)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...continuing on...

Samilyn
- hauntingly beautiful on a classic tune. All the best with the upcoming move.

Thanks so much, Q.

This move will put me much closer to my new producer and his studio, so hopefully I'll start laying down some good tracks soon.

• Members

Samilyn
- mmmmmm.....deep dark brooding minor guitar part and as always, your vocals drew me right in. great stuff!!

Thanks bunches, Riff. It's a fave song and I was surprised that the dinky recorder at that jam picked up the character of the Martie so well.

• Members

Northstar -- love the complex harmonic interplay between the guitars in the intro... just when you think you've got a handle on it it sort of slips out of grasp. Too bad I used the word
evocative
immediately above, because
this
has a different evocative quality. Or maybe it's the pretty slideshow. I'm not normally a jealous person, but if you tell me that's your country place, I'm going to have to think about hating you on GP.
:D

Thanks for the good word. As for the house, I just wish!

This house lies abandoned near where I live. It's over 300 years old. It's for sale and we went to see it. It's totally gutted and the owner asks for 350000 dollars. If we were to buy it, we would have to sink at least the same amount to make it livable and on top of that, we would have to adhere to historical restoration guidelines because the house is listed as a historically significant house.

• Members

Samilyn:
I like how you don't sacrifice the unique sound of your voice when you're doing covers. Everything you play sounds like your style.

Thanks so much, Ellen. I consider that a real compliment. When I was young, I'd try to imitate the original artist and it never worked for me. When I did things my way, people liked what I did. Somewhere along the way, my feeble brain finally caught on. LOL

Interesting that you should make that particular comment about this recording. When I was finished playing it, one of the guys at the jam said, "Girl, you made it your own. Nice."

That brought a big grin to my face.

• Members

Another month of fantastic tunes and humbling performances. I'll try to comment on as many as I can.

FussenKuh: You have a great voice, as others have already mentioned. Plus the solo was fun and well played.

Alahen: I'd love to play Dowland like that. No worries on the mistakes (I'll take your word that there were some), I could listen to tunes like that all day.

Stack: As always, great and totally on. Fantastic vocals.

Gil: The emotion you put in your songs is amazing. I enjoyed that song a lot.

Pschaafs: I don't know that song (my Donovan is limited), but I still got into it. Very cool.

Guitarist21: That guitar sounds great, and I love the chords in that tune. Lots of expression throughout.

Dak: Your voice fits that song perfect. It sounded like your own.

MM: Any song rooted in a scotch hangover is bound to be a good one. Great work, beautiful vocals.

tbryson: that sounds like a fun project, cool lyrics and everyone did stellar.

Alright, that's all I can make it through tonight. I'll get the rest tomorrow if work allows. :wave:

• Members

Stackabones: thoroughly enjoyable little dittie

g6120: I could see Neil Young sing this. I hope I'm not offending you but you definitely have some kind of Neil Young vibe going on with your voice anyway.

guitarist21: great playing. I sure wish I could play like that. I like watching your fingers going around on the fretboard

daklander: really soulful voice but get a good mic. I'm sure it would be a blast hearing you on a good recording.

mrmoe: exquisite craftsmanship. I can't believe you wrote this so easily...

Too many songs to listen to on a late Sunday evening. I'll continue tomorrow...

As for all the comments regarding my song: thank you very much. I'll work on demos for the two other songs of the forest-related song cycle...

• Members

Northstar -- love the complex harmonic interplay between the guitars in the intro...

Hey I just reread your comment... besides the 12-strings guitar overdubs, there's only one guitar playing all the time.

In the intro, I have a drone-chord in the lower strings and I just do a chord melody on the top strings...

• Members

Hey y'all--listened to the first page!

Fuss: "Application Blues"--now there's a timely tune. Love the bassy bluesiness.

Alahen: "LLA" very tender and sweetly played. Makes me yearn for a classical, although I'd be forced to learn to use more fingers for plucking. You play really well, but I missed getting to hear your voice!

Stack: "Mind Your Own Biz"--love the bite you get on that Reactor. Song makes me want to light up a cigarette and pour a double...oh wait I quit smoking years ago and it's too late tonight for a drink...

g6120: A well-put-together song all around...good vocals too. She'll cry when she hears that years from now.

Pschaafs: That's a Donovan song I didn't know of. Love the descending bass line. Well done; glad you introduced me to this one. Gotta check it out now...

Guit21: Jazzy-licious! And now I see that the key to expert musicianship is all in how you hold your mouth! :) Really nicely done.

Dak: I can identify, being a Georgia boy and all (though not from way down in Waycross). Great story, great storytelling by you. I love your vocals. You're one of my favorite VOM singers.

tbryson: Wow, what a great production--love the bridge especially. Great to hear from someone who knows how to get the percussion right. I guess this wasn't the 'bird this time? Cool song.

MrMoe: Good for you for rejecting the trendy theme and subverting the whole idea by turning it on its head! Nice playing as always, and I love your very distinctive vocals. Reminds me of somebody I can't remember...and you are my favorite VOM lyricist, hands down.

Jimmy Chaos: Didn't know of this song, but I do appreciate the idea of converting a headbanger original to an acoustic cover. Just to be contrary, I've thought of doing this with something raunchy by AC/DC (maybe "Giving the Dog a Bone" or "Let Me Put My Love Into You" :facepalm:) But I think to pull it off, I'd need to "folk it up" rather than play an acoustic version that tracks close to the original rocker. Otherwise it feels a bit bare--your bit was energetic, and I love the way you sing "spay-hades", but I kept wanting to hear drums and bass in your arrangement.

Frets99: Let's see--I've identified my fave lyricist and singer on VOM--you're my favorite performer. Excellent song! Love your new Gretsch--you can make a dimestore guit sound like 600 bucks (before the end, I assumed I was looking at a black Martin HPL!). And btw i also watched your Squier Strat instrumental (with backing track and background daughter traffic), Man, you is a shredmeister! Wail on!

Rhancox: You've got that NY high and lonesome vocal down, man! I can't get within an octave of that. Very well done.

Joshmac: Sweet version of a classic. It's an OM staple--love hearing it here.

C70man: "Sin to Tell a Lie"--too short, but sweet! Nice subtlety in your playing.

BlackHatHunter: "Who Am I to You"--not familiar with this NJ tune--it's catchy; adapts well to solo rhythm guitar. Love that archtop--what is it?

riffmeister--wow, what tone. Tone-a-licious. Deep, woody and resonant. "Study in D major--what a cool creation. A fine performance sir!

Samilyn: And you know what, the moon was full! Was it clear out in the NW so you could see the bigger-than-normal "perigee moon" last night? "D and R": That's always been my favorite JB song--so haunting, such a sad melody. Your voice perfect for it. I believed every word. And yeah, some skips in the audio, but I really dug that recording. I love that it was done in a kitchen jam, and in any case, an acoustically rich kitchen! Now you've got me thinking about a new venue for recording. I might try recording in a stairwell at the office just to see what happens.

• Members

Michael -- "High Hopes" -- I resisted the temptation to look up Kazakhstan to see if they really have a lot of gold there.
:D
The song seems to cover a lot of lyrical ground -- but, then, reading your introduction above, I can see that it's got some pretty big ambitions, that's a mighty
big love
you're trying to fit into one little song.
;)
Nice stuff
!

Funny you should ask--when I was writing that verse, I needed a 3-syllable country that was a gold producer in order to finish out the line. I got out a map of the world, and immediately saw Kazakhstan (which, conveniently, sort of rhymes with "wonderland")--so I googled it, and lucky for me, gold actually is one of its chief exports.

Yeah. Very big love. Too big.

• Members

You can't right or produce a better song. Poetry, pure poetry. Gorgeous production. "My Lady of High Hopes and Hesitation" should become a standard we always refer to as the way it's done and the way we felt. Beautiful.

Another keeper!

Thank you sir. I consider the source, and that's high praise indeed!

• Members

This is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by J.S. Bach. This is only the first portion of the song. I'll be working to bring you the rest of it as some future VOM (when I improve enough to play it).

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7230756

This recoding is a bit "thumpy". That is partly the microphone and partly me. :( Amyway, I hope you enjoy it.

• Members

It's bedtime--semester starts in the AM...

Hope I can attend to the rest of these delightful pieces you guys submitted tomorrow...had a very chaotic Sunday and ran out of time after page 1. I just wanted to add a note of appreciation for comments on HH&H made by Queeq, tbryson, MattSkibaIsGOD, Sami, Guitarist21, rhancox, riffmeister, and gthom. Your feedback means a great deal to me. It's so cool to be able to share our songs this way.

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

FussenKuh: Liked it! LIked the guitar playing a lot. I've never had to sort through a bunch of apps for anything, but it sure doesn't sound like fun.

Stackabones: More awesome guitar playing. I really enjoyed the feel of this song - it's not like what I usually listen to. Your voice fits the style really well, too.

g6120: Songs that start with that acoustic feel you played always reel me in. The rest of the song did not disappoint.

pschaafs: Love the melodic guitar stuff. Voice is very easy to listen to. The performance has a very overall pleasing quality to it.

guitarist21: I wish I could play like that. Nice fingerpicking!

daklander: Lots of emotion in that performance. You can hear it in your voice in and see it in your face.

Michael Martin: For a recording newbie, that sounds pretty good! The background to the song made listening a great experience. The guitar parts really play off each other well - great use of the capo there.

I'll keep going down the list later. Great job, everyone!

• Members

Queequeg
- great rendition of a Beatles classic and I really dug the sound of your guitar (a Breedlove, right?). thanks!!

Thanks, Riff. Actually, that's the guitar everyone loves to hate: CA GX Performer. carbon fiber. not a stick of wood on it anywhere. being the contrarion I am, I knew I had to have one.

Frets99:
Let's see--I've identified my fave lyricist and singer on VOM--you're my favorite performer. Excellent song! Love your new Gretsch--you can make a dimestore guit sound like 600 bucks (before the end, I assumed I was looking at a black Martin HPL!). And btw i also watched your Squier Strat instrumental (with backing track and background daughter traffic), Man, you is a shredmeister! Wail on!

Dang it! I can't take credit for the lyrics. That's a Larry Sparks tune and they are great lyrics! But thanks for the kind words for sure! I try to do a little of this and a little of that with the guitar. Pretty versatile instrument. :)

The black acoustic is Washburn D10S that thinks it's a Martin. Sure can sound like one at times! :)

• Members

Just finished.....lots to listen to this month....love it.

Fussenkuh....Nice rif. The hardest part of 12 bar is keeping time. You did a great job....keep it up!

Stak............Everyone needs a little Hank in their day. Love that tele sound! One of my best friends was actually Hank Jr's sound man for years. Lots of cool stories about him.

G6120........You put so much emotion into your playing and singing. This song was no exception.....a great job.

Pshaafs......I never listen or play enough Donovan. Your voice is a great fit for his music.......super job.

Guitarist21.......Love that tune...probably my favorite of all your submissions so far. Could have something to do with that Gibby, but talk about a treat...I not only get to hear it, but get a free lesson on how to play it! Great job.

Dak........Your voice really carries that song well. You have such a unique sound. Very nice job.

Michael Martin....Best Damn Helicopter I ever heard on a record.;) Love the line, "the neighborhoods at 451 degrees".

Tbryson..........."I've been a loser and a winner"....."your'e not seeing it my way".....man, how many times have I felt like that! Great tune.

MrMoe........Great tune......lots going on inside of that song...musically and lyrically. Loved it......."At least I'm doing somethin"......great lyric.

Jimmy Chaos.....Sorry, couldn't load it??????? My firewall had issues with it.

Frets99......You have a video presence that few have....really, you make people smile without even trying.......love the line, "won't need no pockets"...a classic!

Love those scrolling lyrics too!

Rhancox.......A true Neil voice quality.......that 12 sounds darn good too.

JoshMac....Good pickin! And with all that added pressure of doing it on a vid...

BlackHatHunter....A good song for you. Love that Godin.

RiffMeister........"Warm up?" A lovely melody. I couldn't help but smile when I heard the harmonics at 00.52 and 1:35. I love using them too, but the wife says I use to many of them in my songs. Oh well, what does she know. Great song and very good playing.

Samilyn.....A perfect song for your voice....excellent job....That 12 of yours makes me want to go out and buy one.

Queequeg....Beatles, can't say enough about them. Their music is a lot harder to play than people might think. A really good effort....just a few spots to clean up and it will be perfect......excellent choice of music.

OldGuitarPlayer.......Your enthusiasm is addictive.....fun to watch! I'm not normally a kazoo kind of guy, but you make it worth listening too...great job.

Thaddeus.....I wanted to light up a cigar and pour myself a shot of Jack. What is it about slide? Love that sound....fantastic job.

JAndrew.......The wife heard me play this and ran into the room. She loves tears for fears.....she made me play it 3 times!

Northstar......Reminded me of "America" in a few places. Good tune! And those pics made me jealous.....great fit for the music.

Blue2Blue.....I think my right leg is still tappin. What is it about a 12 and a slide to get your body movin? Great job, loved it.

Brianwahl.....a great song to play and listen to, You did it justice.

Kwak.........So do I get to eat them too? Really a nice melody. You should add some lyrics to it. Well worth pursuing.....

Mattskibalsgod.....Wow! More 12's. What are all of you trying to do to me? I had a little trouble hearing the lyrics through the strumming, but I liked what I could make out........maybe my ears are just gettin bad.

Totamus......Okay, tell us the truth. You were down in the "Keys" with Buffett and wrote that tune, weren't you? It sure took me there! Great job. And again, good luck with the surgery.

Whalebot.....Excellent job, truly worthy of your guitar.

Gthom.....I have those same PJ's....JCPenny's? ........Oh, really nice song too.:thu:

Archived