VOM 12 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

I've missed a few months of VOM1Ts, but I'm back. The song is "Madworld"
originally by the group "Tears for Fears", but more recently covered by
Gary Jules with a simple piano accompaniament. I tried to capture Gary's
simplicity of arrangement in this guitar version.

http://www.siaris.net/music/madworld.mp3

As usual, me, my L-07, and my H2; in the living room.

cheers,
andrew

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I might as well take advantage of this tribune to post a demo I worked on yesterday. The song, titled "Appalaches". was written back in 1994. I still haven't figured out an ending to it though. The main acoustic is one take with a few 12 strings overdubs just to try arrangement ideas.

The song is part of a cycle of three songs written in the related tunings (DGDGBD/DGDGBE). The other two songs are titled "Bor

• Members

My second VOM track (first was last May) and my first fully proper VOM1T, first take track. (Wish I'd checked the camera angle before I started... oh well... we've all seen a $75 12 string guitar (from the fabulous luthier, Carlos, of Korea) before and there ain't much fancy footwork to dazzle y'all, so... ;) )

The song is "Angel's Vacation," about a bodhisattva on the lam, written by the Bard of Bitterness, Denial, and Regret. (That would be me.) Recorded this morning.

Higher rez version:

-12kvUzB6rA&fmt=18

Fusenkah - That was great! Amusing as well. and though I don't process applications, I have gone through resumes scratching my head and saying, "It's not possible that this person really wants a job anywhere, much less here!" What guitar is that? I love the shape as I could see it from the video.

Alahan - Don't be so hard on yourself! Some of us would kill to play like that. Very pretty song and nicely done!

Stackabones - That was killer! Vocals were spot on and wonderful and I can't say enough about your playing. Brave enough to play a tele without accompaniment and good enough to make it sound great!! Can't say enough about Peavey Reactors either. Sounded authentic. Like it was pulled from the 50's!!

Okay I just tried again, and it only happens when I listen to the "Hi-Fi" one. So who knows, maybe it's just my computer. The Lo-Fi one sounds great though! Cool cover.

I had the same issue. HiFi was quirky like a tape cassette getting caught in the player. The LoFi plays fine though. Listening now!

G6120 - That's an amazing feeling you put to words. Children have that ability to draw us into the "now" of life like nothing else. Beautiful song. I hope you know that the song you write for her when she's 19 years old will most likely be decidedly different.

More like:

So why you dating that crazy boy

Pick up your clothes, pick up your feet clean up your room

You call this getting good grades a D?

What kind of logic is that? You from the Moon?

PSChaafs - Good old tune and very nicely done!!

Guitarist21 - Simply mahvelous! You can flat out play!! There's something so damn charming in your facial expressions as you play as well. Loved it!

• Members

Chris (aka FussenKuh)... fun little track, though I had some trouble making out the words... was it about reading application program documentation for work?

Alahan -- a lovely little miniature!

Chris (Stack) -- sweet, stinging electric work on "Mind Your Own Business." (Say, isn't this the acoustic guitar foru... ah, never mind. :D )

Gil -- A different kind of sweet... very nice, very heartfelt.

Peter -- "Sunny Goodge Street" -- always been pretty much my favorite Donovan track. Like that vocal!

Ellen -- a great tune nicely done. I loved watching the expressions on your face as you played... it was kind of like you were your own non-verbal Greek chorus... :D

Dak -- nice, soulful down home vocal on a fine song. The audio track is a little on the lo fi side but it doesn't dim the charm much.

More soon...

• Members

Here is my submission (both videos below are the same thing - one is an HD version):

It's a cover of "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" by John Mayer. One of my favorite John Mayer songs.

wlNF81eLrbw

And if you have a high-speed connection, check out the HD (720p) version of the same video. The audio/video quality is MUCH better.

wlNF81eLrbw&ap=%2526fmt%3D22

• Members

Ellen- I loved that jazzy little thing. Holy cow, my LG0 never sounded like that, or I would have kept it. (or maybe it's the peformer (?)

Gil- beautiful tune your little girl inspired there. Your vocals sound better than ever here.

pschaafs- Cool song. A donovon number I don't think I ever heard before. Nice performance. You got that H2 really working for you.

Dak- man you packed a ton and a half of emotion into that song. Heartbreaker, Dak.

Michael M- Dude you got that writing & recording thing in the pocket, Sir. Nice touch with the church bells while I'm listening to listening to lyrics of sacrements and religion. Puts me in mind of Paul Simon.

tbryson- that's a keeper. good harmonies.

mrmoe- I admire you beiing able to write @ al, but this sort of on demand with a theme and a deadline I can't even comprehend, (Q doffs his hat)

Jimmy Chaos- I got a link to signing up for something, offer to purchase software and finally a download.(I opted out of the download.)

Frets99- I dig the way you put the lyrics up on the screen as you sing 'em. Sort of like Mitch Miller and follow the bouncing ball. Well Done!

rhancox- Great old tune. Nicely performed. thumbs up, man.

joshmac- holy cow. I wish I could learn a song that quick and hit the record button. You guys with your natural talent make me wonder what I'm doing all these years.

More later as I have to take sally out to dinner now and I will listen to the rest later on. You guys rock.

Though I've had videos done at some of my gigs this is my first attempt at my own video recording of me. It's a cheap old HP digital camera that happens to do videos as well so...

I did a Mickey Newbury tune before and it got me thinking about bringing back some of those tunes of his I covered in the past and adding them back into my play list. At one time I think I had a half dozen of Mickey's tunes in my stable. One of the tunes, "How I Love Them Old Songs", we called it Doggone My Soul, was recorded on a CD we, Dakota Night, did in '96 and we are mentioned on the Mickey Newbury web site as one of the many artists or bands who have covered his songs. This tune I'm doing here is one I haven't done for at least five years, and probably longer so there are some errors in changes and words. The song is 'San Francisco Mabel Joy" and tells a hell of a story. With apologies to Mickey Newbury.

You don't need no apologies. That was as beautiful a rendition of that song as I've ever heard. Brings tears to my eyes!

• Members

Here's my submission for today. It's an original noodling on my '73 "lawsuit" Takamine F-360 which I opportunistically entitled "Baking Cookies" simply because my wife and older son were baking up some cookies off-camera in the kitchen. If you listen you can hear my wife (3rd generation amateur baker) talking my son through the process.

The guitar is tuned down a whole step because I have DR Rare mediums (.013-.056) on it, which I was advised against doing by the luthier who repaired it 5 years ago. It sounds soooo good to my ears though, and this recording doesn't do its tone justice IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xemeTI3qu0

All right. Here we go. I'm still a recording newbie, but I like to mess around. As you will see (or, actually, hear)

This is a song I wrote a bit more than a year ago. It's about profound adoration. It's about helpless devotion and gob-smacked infatuation. It's about amorous dynamics on a planetary scale, wherein all the world around implodes around you because the most fantastical amazingness that is possible has transpired.

I was camping in Bluffton, IA. That night I drank too much scotch, and so did she. The night was gorgeous, the moon was full, like tonight. Perigee moon. In the morning, I woke up with three things: a lovely lady I am unworthy of, a good-scotch hangover (much better than a bad-scotch hangover--trust me), and the melody of this song, which is titled "High Hopes and Hesitation".

Here tis:

http://www.box.net/shared/fv58nd4isn

There are six tracks, but I did do it 1-take, BION. Guitar capo 8, guiitar capo 3, vocal, egg shaker, bass, and keyboard (the helicopter and the doorbell)

You can't right or produce a better song. Poetry, pure poetry. Gorgeous production. "My Lady of High Hopes and Hesitation" should become a standard we always refer to as the way it's done and the way we felt. Beautiful.

Another keeper!

• Members

Michael -- "High Hopes" -- I resisted the temptation to look up Kazakhstan to see if they really have a lot of gold there. :D The song seems to cover a lot of lyrical ground -- but, then, reading your introduction above, I can see that it's got some pretty big ambitions, that's a mighty big love you're trying to fit into one little song. ;) Nice stuff!

• Members

Late as usual. here is my submission. It's a tune I'm calling the Bells of October as its working title. I had the first line in my head for about a week and I didn't write it down until late one night I was reading some Robert Frost and everything just sort of came together. The recording is rough and my guitar is too loud, but here it is.

It's my Alvarez MD-80-12 into my USB mic.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=873852&songID=7229459

• Members

Ted -- "Down in Old Mexico" -- an amiable charm pervades this original tune, love the singalong thing... I like the gringo mumbling love lies in Spanish buried under the outro singing. Like a family trip in the RV South of the Border. Grandma, pass me the mezcal!

BTW -- Am I the only one having problems getting anything at SoundClick to play in Firefox? I just switched to FF3 (it seemed like the Mozilla Foundation was about to send thugs around if I didn't -- the security warnings got so dire every time I opened up the 'final' ver of FF2.x) and a lot of things that used to work around the web don't seem to, anymore. [sigh]

Things worked in IE but it's not my favorite browser. Then again, neither is FF3. Wish they could sew up the security issues with Chrome but that's more related to the core problems with WebKit, seemingly.

• Members

I can't deny the amount of talent in these things...don't want ta play favorites so I won't but so many were good it would be hard to place one above the others...they are all good

JimmyChaos...Good energy. Hot playing on Taylor!

rhancox...Wow, Neil Young lives...I need to practice more...Well done

Fretts99...Nice old style blues...nice finger style playin...one of these days:thu:

mrmoe...Always like your stuff, lyrics,and melody and especially your playing...very clean smooth playing...vocals perfect for the song..."..If I'm downtown waiting for the train when my ship comes in"...good line

Michael Martin...Well done...The lyric sung/sounded great...very impressed with the whole presentation

daklander...Nice heart felt performance...beautifully done...story was great

guitarist21...you know your stuff...I liked it...you have talent

pschaafs...good 1 take...liked the walk down guitar part...real nice work

g6120...goodness that was nice...very enjoyable listen

stack...Nice pair of gams!...good playing for sure...you do the blues justice

blackhathunter...love it...and love Norah Jones too!

queequeg...the beatles...tough one to play...for me not even close... you did good

oldguitarplayer...what a fun song...great kazoo batman!!

blue2blue...There's the boss!!...are you cheating on us?:eek:...nice work...do I see another dreanaught in the background wearing your hat?...nice touch:poke:

• Members
Fussen- Killer track. Nice playing and funny lyrics.

Alahan- Dowland is easily my favorite composer and you did an excellent reading of this tune. Well one.

Stack- Nice job as always.

Gil- Very touching song. It's always cool to see hear personal songs like this one. Great guitar sound, too.

Peter- That new guitar sounds out of this world. Like Blue, this is my favorite Donovan song too. Great stuff.

Ellen- I always dig your playing. Your fingers make me wicked jealous. :thu:

Dak- Great job on a great song. I'm sure Mickey would be proud.

Michael- beautiful, beautiful song. You really remind me of Leonard Cohen in that you have a great way with words and a gorgeous deep voice. Nice recording too. :thu:

Tbryson- Very laid back. I dig. :thu:

MrMoe- great stuff. Fine pickin' and very well-written lyrics.

Jimmy Chaos- fantastic! As a metalhead, I've done the same thing with a handful of my favorite tunes, but none as cool as this one. :thu:

Frets
- I couldn't view the video properly. I would load and play all skippy. Have to try again later.

I'll get to the rest as soon as my internet stops tarding out.

:thu:

• Members

Michael O -- very nicely played little rag, funny lyrics, nice vocal delivery. Great job!

Jimmy Chaos -- Bang yo' head!

Frets99 -- fine version of a great song.

[My on and off problems with Firefox 3 and Soundclick have jumped to YouTube now, but closing down FF3 and reloading fixed FF. I'll have to wait for the next SC song to check that.]

• Members
geeze, Thaddeus. great slide, but wait- there's more!

man, you got the pipes, and that ain't no lie.

Thanks Queequeg. I really enjoyed your rendition of that Beatles tune... I wouldn't even venture to play that!

So many talented people on here... I'm not going to comment individually or I'll be typing all night! :)

• Members

rhancox -- Isn't that a great song, somehow? Neil's one quirky but 101% real guy. Nice job!

joshmac -- another great song. Very nice version. Nice to hear someone just approach it front on with no Dylanesque affectations. Nicely sung.

C70man -- very nice job... you'd never know you were seeing two guitar necks through a field of fuzzy bubbles... :D

Archived