Sign in to follow this  
Stackabones

VOM 12 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 11, 2009

First off, thanks Stack for posting this on my behalf. I didn't want to miss out on the VOM...

Have you ever been faced with a mountain of paperwork that you just didn't want to deal with? More specifically, have you ever had to review loads of applications for something? Job applications? Mortgage applications? Permit applications? Grad school applications?

Lucky for me, I typically don't have to deal with such fun... But, I know someone who does. So, I wrote this silly little tune in honor of that monumental task! It breaks just about every "rule" in the 20 rules for "The Blues" thread that was posted a while back. But, then again, sometimes them rules were just made to be broken ;)

I present The Application Blues:
Is it cheesy? Yes.
Is it simple? Yes.
Is it something you've never heard anyone sing about? Seems likely.
Is my singing poor? Most likely, yes.
Did it amuse me to create it? Most definitely, yes.
Will you enjoy it? I hope so!

[YOUTUBE]5rXu2t6aLUY[/YOUTUBE]

It's not full-on VOM1T, but, it was done in the VOM1T spirit. The rhythm was recorded in one take. The little solo was recorded in one take. And, seeing as I (still) can't manage to sing and strum more than simple chords, the vocals were recorded in one take. The audio was recorded in Audacity, synced to the video, and uploaded to YouTube.

Happy listening!
Chris
aka FussenKuh

------------------------------------------

Alahan's VOM submission

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Yw4Ln18KQ

Lady Laiton's Almain performed on classical guitar.

I struggled to get this recorded this month. Not that it's a really difficult tune, it's just that I haven't been playing much lately and was way out of practice. Unfortunately didn't manage it in one take and yet it's still full of mistakes.

This tune was composed by the English lutenist, John Dowland.

A song I wrote for my 19 month old daughter.

This video was made immediately after writing the song and documents the creation and first ever performance.

[YOUTUBE]PepJrLKk4ek[/YOUTUBE]

Going back to the jazz a little this month. Also, since I'm home right now, I don't have the Masterbilt so the LG-0 makes an appearance. Kind of a bummer because the Epi's a lot easier on the fingers, but I like how the LG-0 sounds fingerpicked.

1k25N3JyZaw

Though I've had videos done at some of my gigs this is my first attempt at my own video recording of me. It's a cheap old HP digital camera that happens to do videos as well so...

I did a Mickey Newbury tune before and it got me thinking about bringing back some of those tunes of his I covered in the past and adding them back into my play list. At one time I think I had a half dozen of Mickey's tunes in my stable. One of the tunes, "How I Love Them Old Songs", we called it Doggone My Soul, was recorded on a CD we, Dakota Night, did in '96 and we are mentioned on the Mickey Newbury web site as one of the many artists or bands who have covered his songs. This tune I'm doing here is one I haven't done for at least five years, and probably longer so there are some errors in changes and words. The song is 'San Francisco Mabel Joy" and tells a hell of a story. With apologies to Mickey Newbury.

eFrwBHzq66A

All right. Here we go. I'm still a recording newbie, but I like to mess around. As you will see (or, actually, hear)

This is a song I wrote a bit more than a year ago. It's about profound adoration. It's about helpless devotion and gob-smacked infatuation. It's about amorous dynamics on a planetary scale, wherein all the world around implodes around you because the most fantastical amazingness that is possible has transpired.

I was camping in Bluffton, IA. That night I drank too much scotch, and so did she. The night was gorgeous, the moon was full, like tonight. Perigee moon. In the morning, I woke up with three things: a lovely lady I am unworthy of, a good-scotch hangover (much better than a bad-scotch hangover--trust me), and the melody of this song, which is titled "High Hopes and Hesitation".

Here tis:

http://www.box.net/shared/fv58nd4isn

There are six tracks, but I did do it 1-take, BION. Guitar capo 8, guiitar capo 3, vocal, egg shaker, bass, and keyboard (the helicopter and the doorbell)

A Donovan oldie - recorded on the H2 with the new Ditson, VOM1T

Sunny Goodge Street

For some reason, the audio was really messed up when I tried to listen to yours. Do you have the same problem when you listen to it through Soundclick?

Well this is definitley not one take...hope you guys don't mind..been working on this several weeks...my friend (Zach) the drummer and I finally got together and added his parts...I did all the guitar parts and lead vocals and harmonies...my daughter on harmony, Zach on Spanish outro and all percussion...and another buddy bass player Mike...thanks for lettin me enter this...a lot of work and a lot of fun...hope you enjoy...kind of country ...lyrics are on the soundclick page

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7227627

This is my 1st VOM...

I was chatting with a friend recently and we were discussing what is the most absurd song you could play on an acoustic guitar... he said 'Ace Of Spades' by Motorhead... we laughed and then pretty much forgot about it.

Sometime later I decide to give this a bit more thought, and actually learn the chords, then I arranged it so it sounded good, and hey presto.

I was surprised at how well it worked.

The last few gigs I've played. I've sang this and it's gone down pretty well.

I recorded this in one take just before Xmas on my MacBook using GarageBand, a condenser mic and a bit of reverb. The guitar used is my Taylor 210

Hope you like it!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/iv2vwc

Next month I'll record one of my originals.

This is also my first VOM.

It was done in 4 takes but mainly for mic placement, since it was for my voice and the guitar. It was recorded using a Lexicon Omega (USB mixer) with CuBase LE and, as mentioned, just one mic.

The song is Needle and the Damge Done by Neil Young.

I'd like to dedicate this song to Totamus. I started a thread a couple of months about the first song we all learned. For Tot, it was this song and for some reason, his post was the only one that stuck with me. So I got the tab and started practicing and viola. My first VOM.

Here's to you Totamus. Get well soon.

hmm well this one came out kind of sketchy because i didnt know the actual fingerpicking patter, and just learned the chords a few minutes earlier so yeah haha. enjoy though[YOUTUBE]2j_Qc5E14Xk[/YOUTUBE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by pschaafs View Post

A Donovan oldie - recorded on the H2 with the new Ditson, VOM1T

Sunny Goodge Street

For some reason, the audio was really messed up when I tried to listen to yours. Do you have the same problem when you listen to it through Soundclick?

Plays fine on my computer this morning....

Well, no singing this week. I'm submitting the only thing I can get out this morning....an instrumental in progress. Working on a version of "A sin to Tell a Lie". Just messing around and trying to put the pieces together.

I and the misses were out last night and my voice is trashed...went to a blues joint to see Damon Fowler and he was joined by Sarasota Slim and Nitro, so we stayed way too late...I either got to get younger or learn to sleep during the day so I can go out at night.

Here goes....on the 70 Hohner (to be picked up Feb1) recorded with H4 with the M1 plugged directly into the H4...didn't use mic.

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/1d1833139241/audio.html

I apologize for this last minute thrown together entry. I promise to do a real effort next month.

After watching Frets' entry, man, I am not sure I want to share anything, but oh well, here goes nothing. Recorded this morning in the wee hours, definitely one take. Stax, thanks again for the invite!

Cover of Norah Jones' "What am I to you?"

tRdhmHY756E

I'm in the process of relocating once more and all my gear is packed.

However, I do have this recent recording on my computer, done not very long ago during a impromptu "sitting-around-the-kitchen-table" jam. (Actually, the acoustics in that particular kitchen were pretty cool.)

Somebody had a little digi recorder sitting on the table, then later excerpted this song from it and emailed it to me. No, I don't know what kind of recorder it was.

This recording is as raw and live as it gets, aside from a live performance or open mic. You'll hear all the usual ambient noise, perhaps another git or two in the background, and a variety of snaps, crackles and pops....maybe even the pop of a beer tab in there somewhere. ;)

Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Many thanks to OhioArrow for hosting this for me.

Diamonds and Rust......by Joan Baez

http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com/data/uplds/Diamonds_and_Rust-Scratch.mp3

P.S. I was playing the Martin D12X1.

Plays fine on my computer this morning....

Okay I just tried again, and it only happens when I listen to the "Hi-Fi" one. So who knows, maybe it's just my computer. The Lo-Fi one sounds great though! Cool cover.

-Lennon/McCartney
...from the bowels of Studio Q.
I recorded this the other morning before work while I was still in my jammies.:eek:
a little rough around the edges.
glad I didn't have to play this for Segovia (or Helen Keller).
[YOUTUBE]rNImhB4hX78[/YOUTUBE]

Please excuse my lyric screw ups since I have not played this song in ages and what you are hearing is literally a one take cold performace of... the old Jesse Fuller tune "San Francisco Bay Blues" featuring a blistering kazoo solo...:rolleyes: You'll notice I laugh at screwing up the phrasing after the kazoo solo in the middle and I forget the damn words...:facepalm:

[YOUTUBE]VBkDBwj_l-0[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: Oh yeah! I forgot to say that I played my Taylor 114 and a cheap metal kazoo!