VOM 12 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stackabones

• Members

BlackHat -- a nice, soulful reading of that song. Sometimes it's hard to get a homey little song like that over... people will oversing or try ironic distance. Seems like you hit just the right tone.

riffmeister -- smartly played! A charming little antique dance (don't ask me what, I had to ask people what a gavotte was when I finally saw the lyrics to "You're So Vain") played with admirable technique and a lively spark.

Samilyn -- what a nice thing to get in the email, a little slice of a few moments of kitchen music grace you probably never thought you'd ever hear again. Honest to gosh, sometimes I think the best music happens in kitchens late at night. A moving performance.

Queequeg -- such a great song, I've always loved that, too. A very nicely thought out arrangement of it, to boot. Good stuff.

OldGuitarPlayer -- fine singing on a classic song. And an authoritatively kazoo-like kazoo intro. All you needed was to have some cymbals strapped to the inside of your knees and be playing a washboard with your big toe -- and you'd rake in the bucks on Fisherman's Wharf.

Thaddeus -- really nice work on the Robert Johnson tune. I'd sell my soul to be able to... j/k! :D

Andrew -- an interesting song... I always was surprised at how much I liked it, since the original seems like a song I wouldn't like that much and, yet, I do. Although it's probably been 20 years or so since I've heard it. Your reading brings new attention to the lyrics... and strips the whole thing down to expose the basic dynamic musical tension between the verses and the chorus. Thought-provoking. And evocative.

Northstar -- love the complex harmonic interplay between the guitars in the intro... just when you think you've got a handle on it it sort of slips out of grasp. Too bad I used the word evocative immediately above, because this has a different evocative quality. Or maybe it's the pretty slideshow. I'm not normally a jealous person, but if you tell me that's your country place, I'm going to have to think about hating you on GP. :D

Brian -- very emotive. I like the way you play the vocal up off the guitar part... They work off each other really well, I think.

Neil -- this instrumental is built around some neat chord movement that has a nice, rich feel.

Dave -- a classic folk feel... you just need Paul and Mary (or Peter and Mary, not sure) backing you up and it'd be right there. ;)

totamus -- sounds like a great little jam... brings back feeling of some special jams with friends I've been in over the years. I feel like I know you guys. ;) A really nice feel, it all works well together.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've spent the afternoon listening to some wonderful music. I hope I didn't miss anyone!

FussenKuh - Sittin' here grinnin' and diggin' what I'm hearing. Very cool song!

Alahan - Love that wonderful old-world tune. Charming and captivating.

Stackabones - A real toe-tappin' tune, Chris, that I haven't heard in many, many years. Love what you did with it.

G6120 - Gil, that song is a treasure.

Pschaafs - You did a wonderful job, Peter. That's the kind of music I could listen to all day long.

Guitarist21 - Ellen, you continue to amaze me with the scope of your talent. Loved it! Your facial expression at the end is priceless, too. :D

Daklander - I haven't listened to a Mickey Newbury tune in more years than I'd care to remember. I sure enjoyed your rendition of this one.

Michael Martin - As always, your music takes me to a place that I don't want to return from. That is one of the most romantic songs I've ever heard - simply exquisite.

Tbryson - Excellent song - love the lyrics - and you did a great job with it.

Mrmoe - I couldn't write a song per month if my life depended on it. I admire your skill and this song is wonderful.

Jimmy Chaos - Welcome to VOM. Glad you decided to take the plunge and you certainly don't disappoint me. I really dig the song - the Taylor works great for that one.

Frets99 - Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed the way you did that song. You captured the mood perfectly.

Rhancox - Glad you hopped aboard the VOM train! Another tune that I haven't heard in many, many years. You nailed it, m'dear, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Joshmac - Loved the fingerpicking and your voice. A very enjoyable listen indeed!

C70man - The only thing wrong with that is was that it was just plain too short. Loved it!

BlackHatHunter - Great job! You project a lot of feeling there, and the mood of the song is perfect.

Riffmeister - Outstanding, as always. I could listen to you play all day long....and all night, too!

Queequeg - Nice jammies, Q. :poke: Nice tune, too!

OldGuitarPlayer - That was just plain fun - I loved every minute of it!

Thaddeus - Sure glad you joined VOM this month. That's some of the coolest 12-er playing I've heard in a long time.

Jandrew - Simply lovely! I loved the arrangement and your playing and singing. Like Michael Martin's music, this song takes me to a place I'm very reluctant to return from.

Northstar - The kind of music that makes me want to light the fire, pop the cork on a bottle of good wine, and just kick back. Thoroughly enjoyable listen! I hope you'll post the other songs in the series. I'm anxious to hear them.

Blue2blue - My toe is tappin' and I'm diggin' this! Cool lyrics.

Brianwahl - I always your music, Brian, and this song is no exception. Well done!

Kwakatak - I love it, Neil. Definitely a keeper! Maybe I'll get lucky enough one of these days to hook up with a guy who'll noodle on the git while I putter in the kitchen. :D

MattSkibaIsGod - Yup, wish your vocals were more to the front - you've got a great voice - but I really like this song anyway. I hope to hear a remastered version soon!

Totamus - Glad you felt well enough to post a tune. This was a great one that I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Members

Here ya go, if anyone has a better way to do this other than my stupid photobooth on the Mac, please let me know, I'd like to be able to use my nice microphone but I can't figure out how. Anyway, it's called Hornet's Nest, and thanks all for fixing my git!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq0ITpxIaHY

If y'all are into the whole myspace thing I have a couple of songs up there too.

myspace.com/brettmobey

• Members

Samilyn -- what a nice thing to get in the email, a little slice of a few moments of kitchen music grace you probably never thought you'd ever hear again. Honest to gosh, sometimes I think the best music happens in kitchens late at night. A moving performance.

Thanks, Blue. Yep - the email came as a surprise and is a reminder of a pretty special evening with some great people.

I was with some topflight musicians and it kinda blew me away when they stayed pretty quiet and just sat there listening when I played the song, then gave me some pretty incredible feedback when I'd finished. I don't think I stopped blushing for an hour!

Frets- I couldn't view the video properly. I would load and play all skippy. Have to try again later.

Here it is without the HD setting.

[YOUTUBE]Rsu_-wQieEw[/YOUTUBE]

And thanks for all the kind words. Just like you guys, I just have a ball playing guitar and performing!

• Members

Here ya go, if anyone has a better way to do this other than my stupid photobooth on the Mac, please let me know, I'd like to be able to use my nice microphone but I can't figure out how. Anyway, it's called Hornet's Nest, and thanks all for fixing my git!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq0ITpxIaHY

If y'all are into the whole myspace thing I have a couple of songs up there too.

myspace.com/brettmobey

Almost at a loss for words here. Your songs really speak to me.

• Members

Whalebot -- don't sweat not having your good mic up for this, it sounds fine. And it's really a cool original song, as well. I like your light delivery, it lets the sting come from the words, and it does... er... no puns intended. :facepalm: Anyhow, really good stuff, I think. I like that guitar, too.

• Members

...continuing on...

FussenKuh- great song. very appropriate for these times.good production for the double-tracking.

Alahan- bravo. very nice. your timing is quite good on this piece. That little gut box sounds sweet.

Stack- I'm joining your fan club. you get that groove going right away and I'm getting happy feet listening to this tune. bluesy, jazzy, barrelhouse.

C70man- good ragtime feel. bet this is fun to play. Well Done!

BlackHatHunter- good one, and with feeling. You are digging that Godin and it shows. Thanks for joining in.

riffmeister- that was a real beauty. just a lovely thing. Nice harmonics sprinkled in there, too. It ends so suddenly and I was wanting more. If I thought I could make that guitar sound like that, I'd buy it.

Samilyn- hauntingly beautiful on a classic tune. All the best with the upcoming move.

OldGuitarPlayer- great cover. yours is authentic and true to the original and you got you own stamp on it. You seem to be having a great time. Nice studio, too.

jandrew- welcome back. I know this song is fairly recent, but it has a very nice, very old sound to it. I am reminded a little bit of Pentangle. Very good, jandrew!

Northstar- I like what you did here with a very nice instrumental and the bucolic images. A pastoral landscape for both eyes and ears.

blue2blue- Yet another song about a bodhisattva on the lam! Nice slide playing. Good story telling going on here in the traditionalmold.Good one.

brianwahl- Great job. I'd rather hear you sing this than John Mayer. You done good!

Kwak- flatpicking and fingerpicking all @ the self-same time. You da man, Neil. You're a very good composer.

MattSkibaIsGOD- I enjoy reading Robert Frost late at night too. Bells of October is a great song and a great name for a song. This is really nice to listen too. I'd love to hear it live and played on a 12-string.

totamus- hope your surgery went well on Friday & you are on the mend. Very nice tune. Has sort of a Jimmy Buffett feel to it.

Whalebot- I always enjoy your playing and singing and have had the pleasure of hearing you do this one live. It's a great song. Great job on this but I miss the acid trip visuals of last month.

• Members

I've not listened to everyone yet... but so far.

Stackabones... Man... That had me nodding, tapping my foot and smiling. A really solid effort, and a red hot solo too. I like Peavey. I used to have a really nice old Peavey amp which was cool.

Daklander... I love your voice, maybe because I'm English but your voice reminds me a bit of Merle Haggard, I never heard the original, but I really like yours.

Guitarist21... your face looks like your fingers were killing you playing that!(or maybe it was just pure concentration) But I love the technical ability you have. I wish I could play Jazzy stuff.

G6120

• Members

...continuing on...

FussenKuh
- great song. very appropriate for these times.good production for the double-tracking.

Alahan
- bravo. very nice. your timing is quite good on this piece. That little gut box sounds sweet.

Stack
- I'm joining your fan club. you get that groove going right away and I'm getting happy feet listening to this tune. bluesy, jazzy, barrelhouse.

C70man
- good ragtime feel. bet this is fun to play. Well Done!

BlackHatHunter
- good one, and with feeling. You are digging that Godin and it shows. Thanks for joining in.

riffmeister
- that was a real beauty. just a lovely thing. Nice harmonics sprinkled in there, too. It ends so suddenly and I was wanting more. If I thought I could make that guitar sound like that, I'd buy it.

Samilyn
- hauntingly beautiful on a classic tune. All the best with the upcoming move.

OldGuitarPlayer
- great cover. yours is authentic and true to the original and you got you own stamp on it. You seem to be having a great time. Nice studio, too.

jandrew
- welcome back. I know this song is fairly recent, but it has a very nice, very old sound to it. I am reminded a little bit of Pentangle. Very good, jandrew!

Northstar
- I like what you did here with a very nice instrumental and the bucolic images. A pastoral landscape for both eyes and ears.

blue2blue
- Yet another song about a bodhisattva on the lam! Nice slide playing. Good story telling going on here in the traditionalmold.Good one.

brianwahl
- Great job. I'd rather hear you sing this than John Mayer. You done good!

Kwak
- flatpicking and fingerpicking all @ the self-same time. You da man, Neil. You're a very good composer.

MattSkibaIsGOD
- I enjoy reading Robert Frost late at night too. Bells of October is a great song and a great name for a song. This is really nice to listen too. I'd love to hear it live and played on a 12-string.

totamus
- hope your surgery went well on Friday & you are on the mend. Very nice tune. Has sort of a Jimmy Buffett feel to it.

Whalebot
- I always enjoy your playing and singing and have had the pleasure of hearing you do this one live. It's a great song. Great job on this but I miss the acid trip visuals of last month.

Thanks a million Q.

• Members

I haven't listened to anyone else yet. I've been in bed with a headache since after lunch. Finally felt well enough to record. I've not be able to do a VOM1T for a few months.

Black by Pearl Jam. Taylor 110, Audacity. First time doing a VOM1T where I'm not using my single homemade electret mic. I have a EV767a for vocals and a combo of 3 cheap things for the guitar; magnetic soundhole pickup someone gave me, homemade electret sitting on my music stand (picks up guitar and voice) and cheap NADY pointing at the guitar soundhole.

http://www.box.net/shared/0aogc60c0u

Now I get to listen to everyone else. I'm looking forward to it.

Scott O

• Members

BlackHatHunter
- good one, and with feeling. You are digging that Godin and it shows. Thanks for joining in.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for having me!!!

And thanks to all of you for the kind words and for the invite. Man, there is so much talent on this forum! It's a honor to participate in this thing.

• Members

Dave -- a classic folk feel... you just need Paul and Mary (or Peter and Mary, not sure) backing you up and it'd be
right there
;)

Thanks a bunch. I'm actually hooking up with a guy singer who's into the same kind of stuff as I am next weeked, so it could very well happen for the next VOM.

:thu:

• Members

Fussenkuh: Made me smile! Cheesy is good.

Alahen: I thought it was pretty, even though you said it was riddled with mistakes.

Stack: Love that Pignose tone! It has a really cool Chicago-type sound. I enjoyed the solo, you hit the changes so nicely, you totally eliminated the need for a rhythm player.

Gil: Very heartfelt. You really have the Youtube recording process down; the quality of your stuff is always so good.

Dak: What a well-written song. Mickey must have been one heck of a writer. I'll have to check him out.

MM: That was beautiful! I loved the last line of the chorus. Everything seems so genuine. Great work.

tbryson: I loved the part where everyone came in singing together, sounded really fun.

mrmoe: I love your songwriting style. It has something very classic about. Always look forward to your entries.

Jimmy: I enjoyed it very much, surprisingly. Might be a good first song for a set. I always like unexpected covers, so nice job.

Frets: Great performance! The pop up lyrics was a very nice touch.

rhancox: Love the sound of your 12 stringer. What guitar are you using there?

joshmac: Great job! I can tell you love the song by the way you sing/play it, if that's not weird. It makes your performance believable.

C70: Short and sweet. I liked it. :thu:

BlackHat: Love the sound of that archtop! It fit the song perfectly.

Riff: The dropped D sounds downright beastly on that guitar. Great song too!

Samilyn: I like how you don't sacrifice the unique sound of your voice when you're doing covers. Everything you play sounds like your style.

Q: Cool arrangement. Love how that space-age thing sounds. Makes me want to get one.

OGP: So much fun! Your kazoo holder made my night.

Thaddeus: Your guitar (and your chops) sound really great. That's for sure an instrument to be proud of.

Brian Wahl: You must have a heck of a video camera. I felt like I was watching my dad's High Def TV.

The Bard of Bitterness, Denial, and Regret: Loved the song. I wish I wrote exciting songs like that.

Kwak: I can tell that it sounds beastly tuned down. I always enjoy your original noodling.

MattSkiba: What a great jangly sound you get out of that Alvarez. Cool!

totamus: Hope you recover quick so you can get to making more music like that. I like your friend's voice too! He sounds like he could be singing country music on the radio.

Bot: Loved it. The guitar sounds great, so does your voice as usual. It's reminiscent of The Ballad of John Wilkes Booth; I like that your style comes through in your writing so plainly.

Gthom: Fun tune. I only wished it was louder.

• Members

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

To Jimmy Chaos, I used to be able to hit some high notes. It's hell gettin' old.

pschaafs - I loved your playing. That's one I'd never heard before.

Fussenkuh - cool little diddy. Nice production.

Stack - I love that voice.

Gil - man, you are amazing. That was beautiful.

Guitarist21 - nice jazz piece. You're right, the LG-0 sounds good fingerpicked.

Dak - that is one hell of a story. Not bad after all these years.

Michael Martin - you are too modest. That was a great song and a nice prodution as well.

Tbyrson - Quite the production for you as well. Nice work.

Frets99 - Cool song. I liked the pickin' at the end.

MrMoe - One of the best originals I've heard so far. Your guitar work is impeccable.

Jimmy Chaos - Raunchy acoustic. Nicely done for a metal to wood transition.

C70Man - Very nice little diddy. Well done.

Samilyn - Interesting song. I'd never heard that one before.

Q - great fingerwork. Nice jammies too.

OldGuitarPlayer - Way cool. I've wanted to learn that one ever since Clapton's unplugged. I was toe-tappin' the whole time. Gotta get me a kazoo.

More reviews to come. And again, thank you all for listening to mine and for the kind words.

• Members

Gthom
- Very nice. Evokes the atmosphere of a fave lounge where the lights are low, the mood is relaxed and pleasant.

Thanks, Sam, it's a tune I love but not one that I can do justice to. I originally learned it on steel string where I could wrap my thumb around easily on the bass, which doesn't work so well on the nylon. One of these days I'll relearn my fingerings and smooth it out. I'm a huge Jobim fan and his music was a big part of what drove me to buy a nylon last year.

• Members

[quote=guitarist21;32179267rhancox: Love the sound of your 12 stringer. What guitar are you using there?

That's my Yamaha FG720. I just got it on Christmas Eve. As an exchange for a previous purchase, not a present. But it was just as exciting to get that day.

Thanks.

Archived