The Apprentice

rickoshea

• Members

ahh yes you may ask .... Donald "the hairstyle" Trump is appearing on HCAG? Indeed not I'm glad to say as his hairstyle frankly nauseates me. In this case my apprenticeship is being served under our ex HCAG luthier Gary Palmer. The time has come to build. This may be utterly embarrassing for me having absolutely no woodworking experience but if there's enough interest I'll take you through the build of a new dread with probable associated disasters, injuries and possible amputations on the way.

Thankfully Gary has helped immensely with the knowledge needed (and the tool buying ... cue Tim Taylor grunts) to make an attempt at my own acoustic.

feel free to :

1. take the piss out of my woodworking skills

2. ask daft questions

3. laugh at any balls ups

4. praise the beautiful creation that results from the build (possibly)

here's the start .... an LMI kit (that the French customs kindly hammered me with import tax for)

kit1.jpg

Zebrano back and sides (tonally similar to rosewood and pre bent for this one thankfully) and life made easier with everything already thicknessed and the neck pre carved. I am however going to bend/set fire to the cocobolo rosewood binding myself. The main build starts next week :thu:

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks Quee :thu:. The kit cost a bit more than average as I customised a lot of it probably in a misguided attempt to do something a bit "different" lol. As far as I remember it was in the region of $550, then the French got me for another $300 odd lol.

I got it in December but have been working with Gary's guidance making various jigs, and buying a crapload of tools (I was the original "man with no tools" sorta guy :facepalm:). I had no ... none ... nada woodworking experience so started out making a workshop and workbench from this :

WB_UL1.jpg

to this:

WB_UL3.jpg

Theres a hell of a lot to learn and do before even starting the build itself but the theory is fascinating and I relish the danger of using power tools lol.

• Members

If I was you, matey, I'd make the guitar out of that workbench - nice grain! :poke:

Good luck with the project and remember to wear face mask, thick gloves and body armour at all times. BTW, great to see Gary is helping. If you are in touch with him, give him my regards and tell him to get back here - he is missed.

• Members

If I was you, matey, I'd make the guitar out of that workbench - nice grain! :poke:

lol ... well if the guitar turns out like crap I'll have a nice bench to look at and drum on certainly :facepalm:

some jiggy stuff :

making a radius guide for checking bracework curvature (nice and easy job to start with that ;)) - home made go-bar deck on the right :thu:

bracetemplate.jpg

..... and some of the making of the radius dishes. I need a 30' and a 15' (normally) to be used to impart the necessary curvature on the front and back bracework and sides. I decided not to buy these so made 2 jigs for the 2 different radii and had a great time routing the hell out of the circular forms and in the process creating something akin to the Sahara Desert in the workshop. The dog is still lost under the mountain of sawdust .....

radius_15_4.jpg

radius_15_3.jpg

radius_15_2.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

• Members

A brave man indeed!

I envy you.....had I a work bench or room to work in, I'd be right behind you.

I can't wait to see this unfold...I have been threatening to make my own for years and want to see how a novice (like myself) goes through the pain.

One quick early on question. What kind of finish? I hope you are considering a hand laid French polish....that's what I would want to do and I'd like to see how one would work out......Best of luck!

• Members

Thanks all .... I'll give Gary all your best as well. The amount of info and help he's given me has been invaluable - he's a bit of a knowledgeable fella it has to be said and very generous with his time :thu:

I'm off to Ireland for a few days (the French will probably charge me import tax to get my body back into France on Sunday :lol:) but I'll leave you with a few more pics. I had to wait a few weeks for a new router collet (never, but never, try to make a radius dish by routing agglomerate :facepalm: - and Garth - when I route now I'm in full Roman battledress lol) so I did a bit of work on headstock design and template making. I like the Cole Clark shape and am going to try to inlay some designs in there and into the end graft. Its great fun cutting the inlays ... intricate stuff. The Fleur-de-Lys is cause the guitar is being made in France and the Celtic Knot as I'm an Irish bugger ;)

headstock_template1.jpg

fleur_de_lys3.jpg

fleur_de_lys.jpg

Rosewood for the Fleur de Lys and Burr Maple for the Celtic Knot ... they're not perfect so I'll probably redo them when the time comes :

celtic_fleur1.jpg

• Members

A brave man indeed!

I envy you.....had I a work bench or room to work in, I'd be right behind you.

I can't wait to see this unfold...I have been threatening to make my own for years and want to see how a novice (like myself) goes through the pain.

One quick early on question. What kind of finish? I hope you are considering a hand laid French polish....that's what I would want to do and I'd like to see how one would work out......Best of luck!

well ... I'm a bit reluctant to buy a full spray kit at the minute (never say never though ;)) so I'm thinking French Polish or Tru-Oil which is actually used for gun barrels but seems to give a nice finish on guitars. Maybe a combination ...... :thu:

• Members

Rick..why aren't you using your dentist drills for all that inlay stuff?:poke:

You could make real short work of things with them..

Seriously, though...

Good luck with the build. I'm about 6 months behind you on it, but will start one in July or so. Hopefully, your experience will help to guide all of us.:thu:

Ian

• Members

Rickoshea.................Kudos man.

You are going to have so much fun, even with all the self-induced stress...........

I still remember building mine back in 1999 for the millennium (2000). Once I get out out of school I plan on building more as it is so therapeutic for ones Soul.

ps: it is the one in my avatar D-18 Martin Kit

• Members

...or Tru-Oil which is actually used for gun barrels but seems to give a nice finish on guitars. Maybe a combination ......
:thu:

Actually Tru-Oil is used on gun stocks. I hope you're not trying Gun Bluing :facepalm: which actually is used on gun barrels.

Seriously, I have used True Oil on many a gun stock by hand rubbung until it turns hot from the friction and then drying and cutting it back to the wood with 0000 steel wool. After 12 to 17 coats it is a very nice finish and always repairable to invisibility.

• Members

Actually Tru-Oil is used on gun stocks. I hope you're not trying Gun Bluing
:facepalm:
which actually is used on gun barrels.

Seriously, I have used True Oil on many a gun stock by hand rubbung until it turns hot from the friction and then drying and cutting it back to the wood with 0000 steel wool. After 12 to 17 coats it is a very nice finish and always repairable to invisibility.

oops ... I meant gun stocks. I agree that its probably not a great idea to use Gun Blueing as a guitar finish :facepalm:

Well ... I'm back from Ireland, have just taken delivery of a nice shiny new bandsaw (so I can amputate 4 fingers at once rather than one at a time - so much more efficient), and am just about ready to start the build proper. Pics to follow .... (that is if I have fingers left to push the shutter release on my camera)

• Members

so here we go .... the first step is fitting the sides to the mould. Easy eh? ... nope, not when the sides have sprung back from their original bending shape due to the wonders of travel and humidity changes. The fit is luckily still good enough though :

back_sides5.jpg

LMI leaves the sides long so they have to be trimmed at the centreline of the moulds so they fit together inside. Marking the centreline :

back_sides4.jpg

and transferring the cutting line to the inside using a square :

back_sides3.jpg

this was done for both sides then the cuts made (having remeasured ;)) with the bandsaw (accompanied by some testosterone fuelled grunting obviously) :

back_sides2.jpg

I'm keeping the offcuts to use for possible inlays :)

cuts made and re-fitting the sides to the mould - not bad but owing to the springback there are a couple of small gaps at each end. These shouldn't be critical as one end will be removed for the end graft and the other covered by the heel and binding :

back_sides1.jpg

and finally both sides in together :

back_sides.jpg

next step - the heel block and neck block :thu:

• Members

Yeh, yeh, all very interesting...

but what the really important stuff--- like what is happening Finn's training while you are burgering about with bits of stick?

Has he had adequate opportunity to accustom you to what he needs you to do?

Have you resolved the eternal issue of who is training who?

At least if you make a total ars e of the git in your French workshop you can advertise it on e-bay as a Froggies Bottom :facepalm:

Archived